IGNORED

no cartridge

SS

So what CAN happen if you turn on a system w/o inserting a cart first? Or if you remove the cartridge with the power still on? Everyone was told that you shouldn't do this but I never quite knew why. :?

It's possible. Inserting or removing a cart while the power is on could produce some undesirable side effects. Power could arc or spike and fry the chips, or the contacts could cross, which would not be very pleasant if the power contact crosses another contact. It's probably not very likely to happen, but the possibility is there.

I think the cartrige would get fried before the system would. Although I have done it and nothing has happened.

I also play around with my dactar 4 in1 and a 8 in 1 cartrige I have with switches. If you switch the switches with the power on you can get some crazy stuff on the screen. Like a normal seaquest screen that just racks up points by itself. :twisted:

I think the cartrige would get fried before the system would. Although I have done it and nothing has happened.

I also play around with my dactar 4 in1 and a 8 in 1 cartrige I have with switches. If you switch the switches with the power on you can get some crazy stuff on the screen. Like a normal seaquest screen that just racks up points by itself.  :twisted:

Probably 'cos those switches cut power to the ROM between states, so if you just flicked from one state to the other it'd be the equivalent of frying.

I also play around with my dactar 4 in1 and a 8 in 1 cartrige I have with switches. If you switch the switches with the power on you can get some crazy stuff on the screen. Like a normal seaquest screen that just racks up points by itself.  :twisted:

Probably 'cos those switches cut power between states, so if you just flicked from one state to the other it'd be the equivalent of frying.

It also loads up different parts of one game into another. Pretty neat effects when you start mixing like 3 games. It eventually locks up though. I sat there flipping the switches for about 5 min. straight one time between dragonfire and seaquest getting some pretty crazy stuff.

The problem is when you insert a cartridge with the power on, there's no guarantee that the power contacts will connect first, and IC's can be destroyed by applying signals to their IO pins without power.

Often on newer systems, the power contacts of the cartridge are made longer than the others, minimizing the risk.

-Bry