IGNORED

Different 6-switch?

Whisper

I was browsing ebay.nl and saw a 6-switch 2600 which had a different letter colour than mine. I looked at the pics here on AtariAge and they also have yellow letters just like the one in that auction. Mine has orange letters in the same colour as the orange border.

The auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=4125365645

It also doesn't appear to have a orange border, it could have worn off, but I never see one on which it's completely worn off... Perhaps there's some orange border at the bottom, I'm not sure.

My 6-switch I restaurated and saved from the dumpster :love: :

Atari.jpg

download.php?id=23358

Both the one on the auction and mine are Dutch PAL consoles... I could perhaps ask the seller about the serial number and manufacturing place. Mine is a CX 2600 U from Hong Kong (serial: 548414011) Anybody else here also has an orange one?

I can remember that one time someone had a 2600 system with the orange banding like the one in the picture. It turned out that the orange banding was because it was a display unit that was used in stores. Don't know if the same would apply for PAL models of the 2600.

*EDITED*

Whisper, I don't mean to hijack your post, but the mention of this color difference led me to post details about my systems. I have 2 NTSC 4-switchers, both have an orange outline, but 1 has yellow text on the TV Type, Select and Reset switches and 1 has orange.

I wonder is 1 of these is really a promotional console - that would be cool.

yellow_text.jpg

orange_text.jpg

This is what it says in the 2600 section on this site:

Atari VCS - CX2600A Promotional Console

This looks similar to a standard CX2600A model, with a few minor differences. The piping around the switches is yellow instead of orange, and these models were manufactured in Sunnyvale as indicated on the underside of the unit. The box that these came in looks like a normal box except it has "Not for Resale, For promotional Purposes Only" stamped on the underside. We're not sure if there are any technical differences to the console, or if it was just an early edition of the new style for retailers to distribute in advance of sales.

That's pretty cool if that's a version of the 2600 that is "not for resale." I bet it's somewhat rare.

-J

It's not really the orange band, that seems to be standard, judging from the pics here on AtariAge (Still strange that the one in the auction doesn't seem to have thr orange band)

But these letters are yellow and mine are as orange as the border around it. And I don't have sharp eyes heh, anyone who isn't colour blind could have spotted it, it's just something that caught my eye. Oh well, I guess they just ran out of yellow paint :P

*EDITED*

Whisper, I don't mean to hijack your post, but the mention of this color difference led me to post details about my systems. I have 2 NTSC 4-switchers, both have an orange outline, but 1 has yellow text on the TV Type, Select and Reset switches and 1 has orange.

I wonder is 1 of these is really a promotional console - that would be cool.

Cool, you're not hijacking it, you're answering my question :D So obviously it's not that unique to have orange letters and not PAL-related. My PAL 4-switch woody has yellow letters + orange band. The switches on your orange colored system seem different too, nice rounded tops as opposed to the ones I thought were the normal ones on your photo of the yellow one.

Your system is not a promotional model, at least not the one with yellow text. If it had a yellow band it would be a promo model :)