IGNORED

Has anyone ever seen these before?

Wester

That's a LaserActive. The Genesis isn't built in, it's a swappable module. There's also a TG16 module. That system also has peripherals of 3D glasses, a karaoke module, and plays all CD based games for the Genesis or TG16. There are also LD based games for it. I have one and most of the things I've mentioned, it truly kicks ASS.

A great concept when introduced in 1993, but the price was too high (over $1,000 at launch and the game system modules were about $300 each!). I thought about buying one a while back, but looking at how monstrously huge the unit is (and the fact that I don't own any LD movies) kind of makes this less of a must-have item for me.

no..no..you guys misunderstand. You can't have both the Genesis and the TG16 module installed...it is either one or the other. Depending on which module is installed then determines whether the player can play Sega CD games..or TG16 games.

Also. since the cart is inserted horizontally on the front of the unit vs the Vertically up and down as it would in the top loading of a standard Genesis, I don't see how you could get a 32x to stay in there enough to not lock up. But then, I don't think the 32x will work on an X-eye and that is because of the bios on the x-eye being different. I am sure the bios on this is also different enough to cause the 32x some problems. However, I haven't ever tried a 32x on one of these myself...so maybe it is possible.

I'm a proud Laseractive owner, although I rarly get around to using it (although it is good for watching Star Wars on LD). It's a neat little (ok large) system, I just wish I had more games for it. There are a few Dragon's Lair type games that were made for it that make it worth owning.

Can the 32X be made to work with these?

No, although some have tried. The problem is the 32X has a special video cable that goes into the Genesis and then to the TV (or was it the other way around?) The Laseractive cannot accomidate this extra piece of video cable. The SMS converter will work with it, but you need to take the casing off for it to fit (doesn't look half bad either).

Tempest

no..no..you guys misunderstand. You can't have both the Genesis and the TG16 module installed...it is either one or the other. Depending on which module is installed then determines whether the player can play Sega CD games..or TG16 games.

I don't misunderstand. The module is swappable. You eject the Genesis module and insert the TG16 module or the Karaoke module. It is not one or the other, it's one at a time. The modules are not installed permanently.

You cannot use the 32X on the Laseractive. Even if you altered it so that if fit physically you would have to do custom video routing to duplicate the external audio cables that the 32X uses to connect to the Genesis.

I don't misunderstand. The module is swappable. You eject the Genesis module and insert the TG16 module or the Karaoke module. It is not one or the other, it's one at a time. The modules are not installed permanently.

Don't forget the computer control module. I don't know if that one was offically released or not.

Tempest

Can the 32X be made to work with these?

No, although some have tried. The problem is the 32X has a special video cable that goes into the Genesis and then to the TV (or was it the other way around?) The Laseractive cannot accomidate this extra piece of video cable.

Yah.

It has to have the AV cable coming from the Genesis to the 32X, or you can't see any graphics or hear any sounds rendered by either the base unit or by the 32x, depending on which is hooked to your AV ports at the moment.

And that damned proprietary AV connector means you need a sacrificial jumper or Genesis 2 AV cable to jury rig.

Even if you got that to work, I'm not sure if the Laseractive module is 100% Genesis compatible. Doesn't the 32X have problems where it won't work on certain systems like the Genesis 3? I wonder if the Laseractive would have that problem?

Tempest

But then, I don't think the 32x will work on an X-eye and that is because of the bios on the x-eye being different. I am sure the bios on this is also different enough to cause the 32x some problems. However, I haven't ever tried a 32x on one of these myself...so maybe it is possible.

I can confirm that the 32X works on an X-eye. Looks weird and blocks the CD door, but I haven't had any real problems.

The 32X couldn't work on a LaserActive anyway, because the unit would block off the joystick ports.

The good thing about the LaserActive is that the Sega and Turbo modules don't have any territorial lock-outs. You don't have to modify the hardware to play Japanese imported games, just pop them in. I'm always on the lookout for cheap Japanese MegaDriveCD games to try it out for myself.

The 32X couldn't work on a LaserActive anyway, because the unit would block off the joystick ports.  

The good thing about the LaserActive is that the Sega and Turbo modules don't have any territorial lock-outs. You don't have to modify the hardware to play Japanese imported games, just pop them in. I'm always on the lookout for cheap Japanese MegaDriveCD games to try it out for myself.

This is only true for CDs, at least for the TG module, and doesn't matter since the TGCD and Duo don't lockout PCE CDs either. I haven't tried any Japanese Sega carts.

With all the talk about 32X Compatibility what about the power base converter so that you can play master system titles with your genesis adaptor for your Lazeractive.

If the module has the Z-80 chip on board, then I see no reason why the Power Base Convertor shouldn't work. That was basically a plug-and-play adapter, whereas the 32X required some more advanced setup and cable work.