IGNORED

Swordquest: Waterworld

cmb30251

I didn't get it because it was rare (I traded for it BTW), I got it because I wanted to complete the SQ trilogy (sadly no Airworld). I felt like I had left something unfinished.

I'd say the game costs about $120, but it's definetly one of the worst games gameplay wise. Sadly it's the best of the SQ series (how sad is that?)

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Pitfall Harry:

Not if you're looking for something fun to play.

Speaking of which... how the hell do you play these SwordQuest games??? I can't seem to figure it out (And this is from a guy who understands E.T.). Every time I try to read the manual, it seems like a maze in itself. All I can figure out is that there's a room for each sign of the zodiac (This is Earthworld I'm referring too... not sure if Fire/Water/Airworld revolve around the zodiac), and that you're supposed to pick up and drop objects to get "clues"... I can't, however, figure out what the clues mean, or how to even *get* the clue! Does it flash across the screen when I drop the right object or something? Someone help me out here.

When I first heard about these games, I thought they sounded pretty cool... having to use clues from previous games and all.. not to mention the coolness of playing an RPG on the 2600. Too bad I didn't know at the time that these games were apparently programmed by aliens or something.

--Zero

The clues come from the comic book. For instance if Torr attacked Sagitarius with the sword in one panel you'd know that one of the clues requires putting the sword in Sagitarius's room. They're really hard to figure out but that was the whole point.

After you put all the correct items in the right room you'll get a number clue. That clue refers to a page of comic book and a panel number. In that panel there would be a word hidden in the background (sometimes they're hard to find). After you found all these hidden words you had to figure out which ones were fake and which were real(there's a clue in the front of the comic book). Then you put the five correct words in the right order and volia! You have completed Swordquest and wasted hours of your precious life.

Tempest

Ze_ro

Speaking of which... how the hell do you play these SwordQuest games???  

Funny.. I asked the same thing on IRC the other day. And there, good old Crossbow pointed out the simple fact that on the links page there's a page listed with the solutions and scans of the comics. Url is:

http://www.tripoint.org/sq/sq.html

For the record:

Earthworld was based on the classical Zodiac (12 rooms)

Fireworld was based on the Tree of Life from the Caballa (10 rooms, arranged in three intertwining triangles plus one at the bottom)

Waterworld was just 10 rooms lined up vertically with action sequences in the "hallways"

The way objects interacted with the rooms and hallways is different for each game. In Earthworld, the key, Talisman of Passage, and amulet altered the order of rooms and your ability to move through the left and right doors. In Fireworld, several rooms will have doors closed unless you have certain items with you. In Waterworld and Earthworld, you can carry certain items to skip the action sequences. In Fireworld, you can't skip the sequences, but several items will greatly reduce the requirements for passing the sequence.

Overall, Waterworld is the easiest of the three, then Earthworld, then Fireworld. Waterworld only has the action sequences working against you and gives subtle hints as to what items will work for each room's clue. Earthworld has the action sequences working against you and the amulet's room randomizing capability to confuse you. Fireworld simply gets too hard after only a handful of clues as it ramps up the speed of the unskippable action sequences.