IGNORED

Too much red in composite video

sweh

I've asked this on a couple of newsgroups, but figure this forum stands a better chance of getting an answer...

I know I'm years behind the times, but I finally did the composite video mod to my "Sears" version of the Atari 2600 (6 button) - the one that requires a 22ohm and 2 1k pots.

And it works, I can see a nice picture on my Commodore 1702 monitor! But the colors are wrong. There seems to be too much red. When I adjust the onboard pot to make the "green" correct (on the Space Invaders ground) the aliens are a bright red, rather than the orange color they should be (I compared the output to "Stella" on my Linux machine).

No tweaking of the 2 1K pots added as part of the mod nor of the onboard pot seemed to

affect this. Other games (eg Pacman, Adventure) also display this color mismatch.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I don't know what it's like with the composite mod, but I have a system that sort of needs to "warm up" before the colour is constant. This is especially noticable with games like Video Olympics and Bowling. Both have an orange-ish background and messing with the on board color pot it's hard to get that exact colour. It usually is either too brown or too red. I have found that leaving the system on for a a few minutes makes the background less red. Could be just my system though, and the system is not modded like yours. Anyhow, it might be worth a shot.

• 2 months later...

With the mod you discribe. You can only adjust lumminance not color. for color you need to adjust the pot on the Atari PCB. Use a cart which can produce a black/white picture and adjust your mod so the greys are right. Then adjust the pot on the Atari PCB to adjust the colors.

Hope this helps

It sounds like your colors are oversaturated. Red bleed like that is usually a good indicator. There's not too much you can do about it...the mod you built doesn't offer any control over the saturation level. You might check out Nathan Strum's mod comparison page to get more info on the various available mods. (do a search for "strum" on AA)

-Chris