IGNORED

Multi-loaders... don't you love 'em?!

Wrathchild

Well,

I have a hand-written list of multiload cassettes at home. it contains approx. 250 titles, where 70% did work fine with Howfen-DOs and the remaining 30% did not. As you may know, Howfen DOs is a nice utility to convert single-stage and multi-stage tapes to disk. Alas, Howfen therefore uses its own format (like most british menus did). Believe me, I have no motivation to type in this list again. Most of these cassettes were not available in the US (as tapes, they had disk versions!), they were sold in Europe (mainly UK and Germany)... Thats because in Europe data-recorders (or tape-recorders, like the 1010, the XC-11 and the XC-12 plus many clones) were very common. So, if you are searching for a tape to disk transfer utility ask a European. From most germans you will get a so-called C:-Simulator (or other transfer utilities / copiers), whereas from most brits you will get a british menu (like Howfen-DOs, Multiboot, Alphaload, K-Boot, etc.) version... greetings, Andreas Magenheimer.

P.S.: In eastern europe tapes are also very common, but they mostly use so-called turbo-tapes (up to 9600 Baud)...

Well,

maybe you did not know, but the disk version of Winter Olympiad 1988 was available in the US on disk, it was named Winter Challenge !! Thanks to some german importers, I do have this disk version !! Besides, Karate International or International Karate was available in Europe as disk and tape by system 3; in the US there was only a disk version by Epyx, named World Karate championships (which is the same as Karate Int.!). Quite often the tape versions were shortened, for example the tape version of Int. Karate is missing one or two backgrounds.

But there were also tape versions of 48k-64k games and multi-load games with endless loading time, like Gauntlet (available as a 2-sided tape from KIXX), Nightmares (by Mastertronic, like Gauntlet it was a real nightmare to load this game from standard tape) and many others that took forever to load or quite often resulted in an Error 143 (please load again!)... -Andreas magenheimer.

P.S.: As 5,25" disks are becoming more and more rare, the user of real A8 hardware has to search for alternatives. Maybe with some bad luck, he will end up with the cassette (MC - Music Cassette, developed by Philips in the late 60s or early 70s) again. They are still available everywhere...