IGNORED

Top 5 collections

cvga

I think Jens Klöpfel from Gamereset had a copy of Steeplechase by Video Gems for a short while. IIRC he told me that the game is just the same as the Sears version. You might want to ask him for more details.

BTW Marco, since Mission Survive seems to be an original game that hasn't been dumped yet, and since you are probably still looking for a safe game to test your cart reader with, maybe you would like to practice a bit with this Video Gems title before you dare to take out your prototypes again.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

[ 07-27-2001: Message edited by: Eckhard Stolberg ]

quote:

Originally posted by Eckhard Stolberg:

I think Jens Klöpfel from Gamereset had a copy of Steeplechase by Video Gems for a short while. IIRC he told me that the game is just the same as the Sears version. You might want to ask him for more details.

Hm, the screen shot of Steeplechase here on AtariAge wouldn't load, but The Video Gems Steeplechase has a two-player split screen. I'm 99% sure it's a unique game, like the other Video Gems games. If you look at the work the put into cases, labels, boxes, extras, it's hard to imagine Video Gems were a mere pirating company.

BTW Marco, since Mission Survive seems to be an original game that hasn't been dumped yet, and since you are probably still looking for a safe game to test your cart reader with, maybe you would like to practice a bit with this Video Gems title before you dare to take out your prototypes again.

I may just do that

Cheers,

Marco

Sears' Steeplechase is a four player game with horizontal splitscreen. It's a horseracing game which is controlled with the paddles. If you have a screenshot of Video Gems' Steeplechase, maybe you can post it here, so that we can compare it? BTW, how did you get the screenshot, if you don't have the game? Were there any catalogs included with the other Video Gems games?

BTW, good luck with your experiments on the cartridge reader. I'm sure you'll notice how safe and easy to use it really is.

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

quote:

Sears' Steeplechase is a four player game with horizontal splitscreen. It's a horseracing game which is controlled with the paddles. If you have a screenshot of Video Gems' Steeplechase, maybe you can post it here, so that we can compare it? BTW, how did you get the screenshot, if you don't have the game? Were there any catalogs included with the other Video Gems games?

I have the game (just the cart though). It's a one-player game, for use with the joystick controller (at least, that's what the label says).

Cheers,

Marco

Hi all,

I dug up al my Video Gems games and took a picture of the carts - Alex/Albert, hope you can use it

Steeplechase turns out to be a very nice game. It has a split screen, top side showing top view, bottom side showing side view. You move your horse up and down on the top part of the screen, while you jump on the bottom part of the screen. Very clever. You race on a set track, trying to beat the best time, which is kept in memory.

Treasure Below is a bit of a disappointment. You dive from a little boat into the sea, hunting for two treasures on the bottom, while avoiding three sea creatures. Here too, the high scores are kept.

Cheers,

Marco

Hey San,

How about picking up gems like these from an Ebay auction nobody else has noticed? I mean, that's like beating all your professional peers vs. just beating some fleamarket guy that does not have a clue abour the rarity they're holding in their hands

But I guess this is why you are going to Brazil, to find the new gold yourself

Cheers,

Marco

Ok, thanks for the desriptions. Now I'm really envious. And I was so proud before, when I found boxed copies of Missile Control and Surfer's Paradise.

Any chance that you could read out the ROMs of the three other games, even if it only were to do some screenshots with an emulator in order to turn me from envious to jealous? And of course that would allow us to compare the games with all the pirates. Treasure below sure sounds like something I have seen before. If only I could remember the name of that cart ...

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

quote:

I just remembered the game I was thinking of. Your description of Treasure Below sounds a lot like SCUBA Diver by Sancho. Are these games the same, or just similar?

Not the same, just similar. I think it's safe to say that all Video Gems games are originals. Unlike some of the other companies that entered the scene just before the crash, Video Gems appears to have been in it to indeed produce good games.

Cheers,

Marco