IGNORED

Should I buy an Odyssey II?

It depends on what kinds of games you are into. The O2 was not known for its graphics which were primitive compared to the VCS and other systems of its day. The scoring on the games is also very different from the scoring on most other systems.

I personally am a big fan of the O2 and liked the innovation of some of their games such as the hybrid boardgames , the KC games, and Pickaxe Pete. If you do get one, go for a multicart so you can play the NTSC friendly versions of Frogger and Qbert.

The O2 is also easy to collect for. Most games can be bought for a few dollars CIB.

I always thought that the Odyssey^2 had a certain charm to it... the graphics aren't very good, and most of the games are pretty simple... but I still think it's fun. There are some real gems in the O^2's library that you won't find anywhere else, such as Pick Axe Pete, Quest For The Rings, KC's Crazy Chase, Turtles (although there is an Arcadia 2001 version I think), and so on. And as sku_u said, most of the games can be had fairly easily, which is always a plus in my opinion.

--Zero

Just pick one up - the price is right. There are some darn good games for this system, and ebay prices have dropped dramatically recently. Of course, if you find it locally, go for that instead.

If you do buy this system, make sure to get most of the Challenger series of games - most of these are the best the system had to offer, along with a few regular games.

If you don't care about collecting cartridges, get the Multi-cart - it's a great deal!

Well... you also have to consider the space it'll take up. It's a HUGE system..a bit larger than the Atari 5200. It also has attached controllers, which make for difficult servicing if one is defective.

Like it was said earlier, the O^2 has some pretty primitive graphics. Sure, it has some great games for it, but EVERY system has its share of great games. You might be better off grabbing up another system entirely if you're looking to try new old great games.

However, as said earlier, it is pretty inexpensive to collect for, so if you are able to find one for pretty cheap (preferrably with a bundle of games) you can always give it a shot without hurting the wallet too much. It's going to cost on shipping, though....

If you can find one at a decent price, go for it!

I got my boxed O2 from a seller here on AA and I picked up a lot of games on EBay for cheap. I also picked up a few games here on AA for my O2.

I can't bring myself to sell it for many reasons.

It is a fun little system. A bit different graphics wise but worth it because it's not too well known to folks.

...It also has attached controllers, which make for difficult servicing if one is defective.

OK, people keep saying this...

Maybe it's just me, but.. C'mon! It's not like they're soldered or anything.

You remove a few easy to get to screws from the bottom, open the case, and unplug the controllers. (There's also a screw holding each controller to the case on the inside.)

Takes 5 minutes, less with a power driver...

Yeah, it's not 30 seconds.. But it's not board level repair or anything!!

I prefer my attached O2 sticks. Feels more sturdy. IMHO..

As for whether or not to get one... Depends...

If you're looking for great games, there are some; but there are better systems for that..

If you're looking for something that's different, and truly OLD SCHOOL, go for it!!!

Look at it this way, if you assumed they stopped making games for the 2600 at .. say.. 50 of em.. You'd have a system on par with the O2. :-)

Apart from my Vectrex, the O2 gets the second most looks and comments from non-gamers who visit. (Gamers spend all their time downstairs playing the Arcade machine.. :-) )

desiv

Hi there!

Hm... I wouldn't recommend owning one. It's true that there is a few Ok games for it, but out of its ~70 titles library, you'll have a hard time of finding even just 5 games that are really worth owning.

I mainly just keep it for playing "Kill the attacking Aliens". Excellent homebrew and far above the usual O2 quality standart.

Greetings,

Manuel

What people are trying to say is that "The O2 It doesn't suck as bad as you think it does." - William Cassidy, keeper of the O2 FAQ.

The O2 isn't much to play and have fun with. After passing on many over the years, I only bought one when the price was right ($2 plus many games at a thrift store). 2 years ago I picked up the O2 voice module.

Still I only pull it out about once a year to remind myself how much I am bored by this system. Only one game keeps my attention: Killer Bees.

I do wish I had Smithereens. .. and still want someone to program this O2 classic for the VCS:2600!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, Ga

It's a HUGE system..a bit larger than the Atari 5200.

No it isn't. It's fairly large, but the 5200 is bigger, and much heavier.

The O2 isn't much to play and have fun with.

Yes it is. :) Really, like everything else it's a matter of opinion. I happen to like it very much, other people don't. I would advise to get a cheap system, with or without detachable joysticks (the whole "if a joystick breaks.." thing is rubbish, Odyssey joysticks are some of the sturdiest, best-built controllers you will ever find), and pick up a few games like UFO, Pick-Axe-Pete, KC's Crazy Chase, or Showdown in 2100 AD. Then if you decide you don't like it, it wouldn't have cost you that much.

Regardless if you like Odyssey or not, it's a cool system that's at least worth checking out.

Yeah, you're right, the 5200 Is bigger. Thing is, I forgot I had the Voice Module attached to mine, which then does make it bigger. I think it has more in the Height department either way.

As for the controllers... it's a personal preference. I like controllers that can be swapped out easily if they malfunction, and more than that, can be removed and stored somewhere when the system isn't in use.

Really, like everything else it's a matter of opinion. I happen to like it very much, other people don't.  ...  Regardless if you like Odyssey or not, it's a cool system that's at least worth checking out.

How often do you play the O2? About as often as you play 2600 Star Ship! :P

The O2 .. It's worth checking out if the price is less than $5!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Really, like everything else it's a matter of opinion. I happen to like it very much, other people don't.  ...  Regardless if you like Odyssey or not, it's a cool system that's at least worth checking out.

How often do you play the O2? About as often as you play 2600 Star Ship! :P

The O2 .. It's worth checking out if the price is less than $5!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

How often do I play my O2 - at least once a week -time permitting of course! Actually, I play game on it more than most systems I have, except my newer GameCube.

As mentioned - it 'is' a matter of opinion. Most people don't seem to care for the O2, but other just love the thing. It is one of my favorites.

As for the attached joystick complaints, why doesn't anyone mentioned the Intellivision. It has attached joystick (pads, whatever), but no one seems to complain about that. Beisde, fixing the O2 sticks isn't that hard. I fixed plenty of them over the years.

As for person who mentioned there was about only 5 good games for the O2, all I have to say is - GET OUT! What planet are you from. There are more than 5 good games for the O2: Amok, Attack of the Timelord, Freedom Fighters, K.C. Munchkin, K.C.'s Krazy Chase, Killer Bees, Monkey Shines, Pick Axe Pete, PowerLords, Quest for the Rings, UFO, and other personal favorites. Sure, not a ton, but there are good games for this system. In fact, some games are being ported to the 2600 - why, because they are good games!

They look like interesting systems but what I am wondering is- are they any fun?

The only games that I like for the O2 are the two "KC Munchkin" ones. I didn't like 'em enough to convince me to keep the system that had been doing little more than gathering dust, however.

I was bored with it. I think there are a few gems, but out of a library of 70+ titles less than 10 I'd want to play meant it was time to sell. :P It's cheap enough to buy & try, then resell later on if it's not your thing. I just personally find I don't have nearly enough time for most of my current collection now, why add in all the extra systems that I won't have time for either if I already know I'll barely play them to begin with. :ponder: Give me an Atari or a Duo or Cube. :)

I didn't mention the Intellivision because.. this is about the O^2. But those attached controllers are a reason I have no interest in getting an Intellivision.

Were I to grab up another old school system, at this point I'd be most likely to go with ... you know, I'm not sure. I figured it would spring immediately to mind, but after a minute of nothing sprung, I just don't know. I do know, however, that I wouldn't grab up an Intellivision unless it was at a yard sale or something, had a good array of games, was in decent enough condition, and was $20 or less. Otherwise... I'd examine it a little, just to satisfy what curiousity I do have, and put it down.

I'd rather flesh out my O^2 collection than touch an Intellivision, and the O^2 is pretty distant on my list (such as it is - I need to bump my TG16, SNES, Atari 5200, and GameBoy, but none are really 'priority'). I know, deep down, on some level, that had my O^2 been one with detachable controllers, I'd be at least five times more interested in it. Perhaps there's some classic gaming shallowness involved, but I have an idea of how a gaming system should be built and how it should function, and attached controllers (however servicable with some time and a screwdriver) just aren't part of that model, and I'm not bothered by it. It's just what I percieve as an optimal control mechanic, and if it's not there, then something else is ... and that something else garners more attention.