IGNORED

Why Did You Buy A 7800 Instead Of An NES?

Tempest

1) I hadnt bought a new system for awhile.

2) I was/am a huge ATARI fan & felt it bridged the gap between my VCS & 800XL.

3) Its backwards-compatibility- I could play games in 2 different rooms w/out moving systems around

4) I, uh, mistakenly predicted the NES wouldnt sell well.

5) I wanted decent versions of Mario Bros. & Xevious.

My family got a 7800 because it was a replacement for my dead Atari 2600 (the games of which my family still played pretty often). The only 7800-specific game I owned at t he time was the Pole Position pack-in (now, however, I have 30 7800 games :)).

I also never liked having fire buttons on the right side of the controller, nor was I ever good at any of the Mario series (except my favorite game, the original Mario Bros.). I just picked up my second NES ever this weekend at a garage sale after giving one to my coworker (it works after doing the cartridge pin fix!) and I'm getting a joystick for it ASAP.

Voch

I bought it because my friend had a NES already, and another has the SMS and I have always liked Atari and still have some 2600 games. Plus, I saw Xevious and I thought that looked like an awesome game, that I couldn't wait for it to come out.

Joust kept me interested for awhile, and then Xevious, that game is just awesome. But after that, there wasn't much that kept me interested so I bought a NES anyway.

Can't remember hearing or seeing the 7800 when I was younger. I was 7 when I got my nes and I remember it clear as day, but the 7800... :? I grew up in a small town in Mississippi with a population of about 800 and a large part of our non-food shopping came through the Sears catalog. I don't remember the 7800 being in the catalog. I remember pointing out the pic of the NES over and over to my mom. The sears catalog had the weight of the NES so a few days before Christmas I knew that I had my coveted present.....I weighed the only box that looked long enough on the bathroom scale to see if it was the same weight as listed in the catalog. It was. :D Anyway, I just remember the Master System and the NES being in the catalog. As a side note: I didn't stop playing my 2600 until I was about 13 and we sold it in a yard sale.