IGNORED

Am I the only one who loved donkey kong 3?

I don't know what it was about this game but back in the day this was the arcade game that I had an absolute obsession with. I preferred this arcade game way more than the previous 2 donkey kong games. Maybe the reason I liked it so much was all the challenges thrown at you. During this game you had the bugs come out of the hives to attack you. If that wasn't enough you had donkey kong himself trying to come down from the ropes to get you. Also there were worms that came down from the trees that were only possible to stun not kill. During the later stages you would have donkey kong throwing barells at you. I would play this all the time at the local boy's club of mine. what was interesting about the game was once you flipped the score the game would refuse to give you anymore extra lives. I was still almost able to flip this sucker twice. I remember one interesting story about me playing the arcade game. During this time the boy's club had high scores for every arcade game. Of course I held the dk3 high score at 1.4 million something. they also had every friday free video game day. I decided I would go play this video game 2 hours before the free video game time. Unfortenatley I was still playing the game when free video game time happend. It got to the point were a line of kids started to wait behind me to play the game. they protested that I was taking too long, my response was that I used my own quarter to play this game and that I was only 20,000 points away from my high. This unfortenatley was an unsastifactory answer and they literally trying to pry me away from the game. They were succesful in getting me to lose my men and not have my new high, but it does so you how much I actually liked this game.

I think I only liked it because it was so easy and one of the few games I could really last a long time on one quarter. Most arcade games are too hard and most arcade operators would set them for max difficulty/fewest lives/no bonus lives.

I remember not liking and being dissapointed by DK 3 for the longest time.. but that's because I was thinking of it as the sequel to Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. which of course it is.. but I had this mindset of the platform style gameplay that I had come to expect just seemed to dissapear.

It was years later when I had a revelation... I realized that you could clear the stages just by shooting all the bugs (i.e. you don't have to shoot Donkey Kong off the screen!) Actually plenty of stages it's pretty much futile to even try!

..It was only then that I had that "paradigm shift" and realized it was a *SHOOTER* in the vein of GALAXIAN and GALAGA. :o That's what DK3 is! It's a creative version of the classic left/right shootemup with creative enhancements like controlling a person instead of a ship, platforms to stand on and plants to "protect". So friggin obvious.. I don't know how it escaped me for so long. But once I realized that, I saw the game in a whole new light! I understood what it was all about and now I like it a lot. :D

I remember coming across this game in 1984 or 85 and dropping a

precious quarter I begged from my Mom. What a dissapointment!

I love the first two and this one was a terrible follow up. It should have

had a different name and not advertised itself as a sequel since its

completly different.

I like DK3. I wouldn't put it on my top 10 list, but it's a game I keep coming back to on the NES. The only problem I have with it is that it's too easy on the early stages. All you have to do is keep jumping and spraying and you can get DK's head stuck in the hive w/o much trouble.

I like DK3. I wouldn't put it on my top 10 list' date=' but it's a game I keep coming back to on the NES. The only problem I have with it is that it's too easy on the early stages. All you have to do is keep jumping and spraying and you can get DK's head stuck in the hive w/o much trouble.[/quote']

Right.. but that's the early stages. Later on, you pretty much got no chance of getting DK up there so you just gotta shoot bugs :D

I loved that game in the arcade, and believe it or not it was the only game i ever bought for my younger brother's NES. (Hey, I already had Pac-Man and DK for the C64, and didn't know there was a NES Galaga or Mappy.)

Unfortunately, after a couple weeks of playing it regujlarly I got really sick of it. I've had fun playing it against my niece in the last year though, both on that poor old flashing frontloading NES and the N-in-1 gamepad with which I replaced it,