IGNORED

Skating Airmaster

vb_master

I thought that it would be neat to change the biking guy in BMX Airmaster into a skating guy. I examined the ROM in Hack-O-Matic, and I found his sprite -- many, many sprites of him. Where is the sprite that is his starting out position, where is the title screen located, and is there a way to turn the sprites up so I don't have to turn my head over to make sure the graphics I'm editing looks ok?

HISTORY - Last Update - 5/9/04

5/9/04 -- Added some more skating guys positions, and filled in skating guy's head (Stan Jr's request)!

5/8/04 -- Added skating guy for the upright sprites. Thinking about changing the music at the beginning, need help disassembling! Some discoveries were made today, too. The Atari 2600 is able to mirror those sprites, so you don't have to program _each_ _and_ _every_ _direction_ !

5/6/04 -- Cleaned up 'S', cleaned up stray X-gone-G portions, and located the bike part (logo) - 3b0a - 3b1b (flipped) and the Guy (logo) - 3b30 - 3b49 (flipped), added skating guy to title! :D

5/5/04 -- Rough title hack.

skating_airmaster__rev_b_.zip

HOM has a "flip" feature in the "edit" toolbar that will turn the entire code on its head. Try that.

You'll have to pour over all of the player sprite animations to find his starting position, shouldn't be too hard.

The title screen is another matter. It will probably be broken up in the at least 3 sections, you'll have to map it out on paper to figure out how it all lines up, but once you do, it will be much easier to work with.

Sounds like a really cool idea for a hack. Can't wait to see what you do!

Stan :)

HOM has a "flip" feature in the "edit" toolbar that will turn the entire code on its head. Try that.

You'll have to pour over all of the player sprite animations to find his starting position' date=' shouldn't be too hard.

The title screen is another matter. It will probably be broken up in the at least 3 sections, you'll have to map it out on paper to figure out how it all lines up, but once you do, it will be much easier to work with.

Sounds like a really cool idea for a hack. Can't wait to see what you do!

Stan :)[/quote']I don't have an 'Edit' toolbar in my version of H-O-M or H-O-M ][, can you zip the one you have and upload it here? I am trying to dissassemble the game too, so I split it into 4kb pieces and I dissassembled each one. I don't know what to remove/change to get the 16kb BIN to recompile.

You could always count how many pixels there are available (ie... 24X8) then create a file with those specs in Paintshop Pro or any paint program. Then play around and create a logo that you find pleasing. Then you can crop that logo into smaller (8X8) pieces so that it is easier for you to see where to transfer them over into HOM.

Sounds like a really cool idea for a hack. Can't wait to see what you do.

It is an excellent idea! I have thought about it once or twice before, but I am not skater-savvy enough to know what tricks to implement... or how to draw them. I am a BIG fan of BMX Airmaster, and I cannot wait to see where this goes! :thumbsup: 8)

"kating" is easy to read, the "S" is much harder to see.  You might try slightly bigger letters if possible.

Looking good though! :)

I have 8x20 pixels, and the 'S' was kind of hard to contain in 8x20. I'm going to bust out the graph paper again to draw character sprites, shouldn't be too hard :D .

Really coming along! The funniest thing happened, I went up the half-pipe and my skater dude turned into a biker dude! :D :D :D :D

I like the upside down skater on the title screen, but why is his head hollow?

Can't wait to see more! :)

Simple fix, I didn't think it looked bad, anyways, I added the sideways sprites. now all to do: add crashed sprites and a turning sprite. I need help disassembling and changing the music to a more suitable theme. :D Please go to the first message to get the latest bin from now on!

What part of the sprite do you need help with?
Some of the tilting sprites and crashing sprites (located in that space, of course :P )
Nukey is your music man. :)
He was able to help with Don't Get Hit..., but I wanted to change the entire score to some ringtone, maybe.

I also need help disassembling, so I can change that message (is it like the scroll demo), and the music.

What part of the sprite do you need help with?
Some of the tilting sprites and crashing sprites (located in that space, of course :P )

That would entirely depend on what your other animations are already doing. Best thing you can do is make a character map on some graph paper and work out what he will be doing in each of the animations, and remember that it doesn't absolutely have to correspond to what the biker dude did.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After a _long_ vacation I have come to some conclusions;

1. The crashing sprite will be the skating guy sliding with his skateboard, just a single sprite.

2. Decompiling is a must, how do you do a 16k game?

3. Music changes -- I have to find a do-able music score.

I also came up with another hack idea (going along with the sports theme);

Motorodeo -> Motorcross

I will start working on updating Skating Airmaster ASAP. ;)

There is too much sprite designing for a single person to do. There are still more than 50 sprites to design. If someone would like to help, download Rev B and take a look at the sprites contained from addresses 2034 - 2a42, both are flipped. I have already started work on the simpler sprites - the upright crashing sprites, which I think are easier to do than tilt crashing ones. Here is mine, you may base others off this.

crashexamp.PNG