IGNORED

Most valuable system? Help me settle a dispute

What is the most valuable (worth the most) classic system?

Today I got in a discusion with a couple of friends about the promotional Dew X-Box. I said that it may be worth a lot of money one day. My resoning- 550 points is alot of soda- and not that many people are going to get one. Therefore one day (20 years from now) it will be rare and valuable. I compared this to Chase the Chuckwagon or Tooth Protectors. One of my friends said that only games would be worth alot and that systems never would be. So my question is, what is the most a system is worth. I know I sold an Arcadia 2001 in box a few years ago for about $140 and I know Odyssey and Vectrex are both around the $100 to $200 range depending on whats included. Are there any others?

Also, what do you think about the dew x-box, wil it be a valuable item one day?

This also leads me to another question. Has anyone ever done a promotional sytem before? One that is related to a non-video game product?

There's an Adventurevision on eBay right now that's at $600. The reason it's so high is that there aren't very many Adventurevisions around. However, there's lots of Xboxes around. The promotional ones might be worth more, but since they play the same games as the regular Xboxes, of which there's millions out there, I don't see them going too ridiculously high. But there's so many stupid people on eBay that'll pay idiotic amounts for any old junk, that things might change.

this could go a lot of ways, like where do draw the line on classics, what about really obscure varients, store displays etc..

hands down its the adventurevision for price

other heavy hitters-

neo geos

turbo duos

minicade vectrex

japanese vectrex

atari 2800

in japan there are all sorts of limited ed. consoles tied to various products. here in the US you have odd things like the marlboro miles lynx and the mr.boston vectex cart.

The reason it's so high is that there aren't very many Adventurevisions around. However' date=' there's lots of Xboxes around. The promotional ones might be worth more, but since they play the same games as the regular Xboxes, of which there's millions out there, I don't see them going too ridiculously high. But there's so many stupid people on eBay that'll pay idiotic amounts for any old junk, that things might change.[/quote']

Yes, I agree. But twenty years from now when the X-box is a 'classic' system this box might be worth more if there are very few of them. For example, a heavy sixer goes for much more than an Atari 4 switch and they play the same games. Yes I know one is a higher quality product but part of that value also comes from rarity. How about this, what if there had been a Chase the Chuck Wagon Atari system and not just a game, wouldn't that be worth alot more today?

And I was talkoing just about systems available in the stores or catalouges etc. not prototypes or store displays or anything.

The APF MP 1000 has to be way up there given how hard it is to find a working one. The Columbia Home Arcade is very HTF as well. If someone ever posted one in the box it came in, if it came in a box, the sky's the limit.

There's also those weird Bandai systems (not the Wonderswan) that seem to sell for a large sum.

The APF MP 1000 has to be way up there given how hard it is to find a working one.

Tell me about it. I found two long ago, and the controllers are a pain in the ass. First of all, part of what holds them together inside is crap cellophane tape, which WILL have dried out long ago. 100% certain. Then there's the problem that they're easy to break. I know I broke one of my controllers while trying to fix it. I can't remember where they are fragile, but I seem to recall that you don't want to put much vertical force on the joystick knob.

Yes' date=' I agree. But twenty years from now when the X-box is a 'classic' system this box might be worth more if there are very few of them. For example, a heavy sixer goes for much more than an Atari 4 switch and they play the same games. Yes I know one is a higher quality product but part of that value also comes from rarity. How about this, what if there had been a Chase the Chuck Wagon Atari system and not just a game, wouldn't that be worth alot more today?[/quote']

The disc based systems will never reach the same status as the cart based systems. You'll always be able to pop an Xbox game into SOMETHING and play it because all you need is software. A cart, on the other hand, requires hardware, and hardware is a LOT harder to get than software.

in japan there are all sorts of limited ed. consoles tied to various products. here in the US you have odd things like the marlboro miles lynx and the mr.boston vectex cart.

marlboro miles lynx? Is this a joke? If not, hook me up with some pictures...

that sounds awesome.. never heard of it..

Brad

lets see what i can dig up

Lynx Marlboro, ??. LCD. Prototype Lynx sponsored by the cigarette company in

question. About 50 of these were made (?), at least the one sold on eBay had a

serial number 48. There was also a game called Marlboro Go! - a motorcycle

racing game that only exists as a ROM as far as I know.

http://pelikonepeijoonit.net/htuc_FAQ.txt

LynxMarlboroIII.jpg

other heavy hitters-

neo geos

turbo duos

There are also plenty of goofy PC Engine variants out there that are worth a LOT of money... like the PC Engine LT' date=' the Sharp X-1, the PC Engine Shuttle, and other strange stuff like TV's with PC-E hardware built in. NEC was pretty liberal with the hardware I guess.

There are tons of other rarities archived over at Assembler that are pretty valuable... like this crazy-ass Dreamcast or the Navi Hi-Saturn.

If you're after more mundane systems, there's always stuff like the LaserActive and the CPS Changer.

--Zero

lets see what i can dig up

Lynx Marlboro' date=' ??. LCD. Prototype Lynx sponsored by the cigarette company in

question. About 50 of these were made (?), at least the one sold on eBay had a

serial number 48. There was also a game called Marlboro Go! - a motorcycle

racing game that only exists as a ROM as far as I know.[/quote']

http://pelikonepeijoonit.net/htuc_FAQ.txt

LynxMarlboroIII.jpg

thats awesome.. Ive never seen that anywhere..

Thanks for the info, christian!

BRad

Halcyon RCI comes to mind...

http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/games/...ges/halcyon.asp

Never seen one for sale..

As far as the mainstream stuff goes' date=' I would agree Adventurevision then maybe a Neo AES Gold system.

Cassidy[/quote']

As far as released stuff goes, a CIB mint adventurevision would probably sell for $1500+.

Unreleased stuff (such as a boxed atari 2700) would sell for more than that for sure. I think there's only like 3 or 4 of those boxed 2700's.

And for refence sake in attatched photo, one of my prized possesions... AES Neo Geo Gold System

post-587-1083740757_thumb.jpg