IGNORED

S-Video mod.

jeff_a

I got the S-Video mod from Atari2600.com for Christmas, and just got around to installing it today. It is INCREDIBLE! I never imagined such clarity would be possible. Very well done.

Just wanted to brag about my successful installation :)

Thanks,

Jeff

Great mod huh? I wish I could find where to get one. It seems there are several that people are talking about over the years but I have yet to find the "one" to buy. Could you please let me know how you got yours and direct me on where to get it. I checked the atariage store and they only sell the 2.99 converters.

Thanks,

Steve

Great mod huh? I wish I could find where to get one. It seems there are several that people are talking about over the years but I have yet to find the "one" to buy. Could you please let me know how you got yours and direct me on where to get it. I checked the atariage store and they only sell the 2.99 converters.

Thanks' date='

Steve[/quote']

https://www.atari2600.com/cgi-bin/cp/cp-app...g=prod&ref=6196

;)

I got the S-Video mod from Atari2600.com for Christmas' date=' and just got around to installing it today. It is INCREDIBLE! I never imagined such clarity would be possible. Very well done.

Just wanted to brag about my successful installation :)

Thanks,

Jeff[/quote']

I'm glad you like the CyberTech Video Card, Jeff.

Statements like this make all the hard work worth it. :D :D :D

Did the installation go smoothly? I hope so.

I haven't gotten much feedback on that aspect....

-Chris

The installation went incredibly smooth. It took about a half hour to install. It was the first time I ever opened an Atari, so I was a tad nervous at first. But it all worked out perfectly.

Guts of the beast:

Before the install: http://upload.creamedgeezer.com/images/atariguts.jpg

After the install: http://upload.creamedgeezer.com/images/atariguts2.jpg

Everything in the install is nice and clean, and compact. It is just perfect.

Any experience with the mod on a jr. ? This would be nice for my entertainment system. :D It would be a great present for my wife' date=' I mean for me from my wife. ;)[/quote']

It's not designed to work in a Jr.! Besides, most Jr's have the TIA soldered into the board.

It's not designed to work in a Jr.! Besides' date=' most Jr's have the TIA soldered into the board.[/quote']

What if I were to socket the tia chip on a jr.? I need the smaller form factor of the jr. They don't really get into to much detail on the website.

Also wanted to mention' date=' that I found a piece of paper taped on the inside of my Atari on the metal box. i think it has the date my system was built. Sept something 1981. Was this a common thing they put inside units?[/quote']

All of mine have that paper taped inside...even my 1977 Heavy Sixer!

There is a version of the card that will work with Jr's. I desoldered the TIA from my Jr and then soldered a 40 pin socket in it's place. The card I have is the first revision and it will not fit in a Jr. Chris told me that the second revision of the card is laid out differently and therefore should fit in a Jr.

The problem is that the TIA in a Jr is installed on the MOBO 180 degrees opposite of most, if not all, other versions of Atari. The first revision of the board is designed to fit in one specific orientation on the Atari MOBO. In a Jr you can get this board to fit if turned 180 degrees, and the mod will work, but you have no room to close the case without modifying it a lot! Chris said the second revision should work in a Jr but it has not yet been tested AFAIK.

Any experience with the mod on a jr. ? This would be nice for my entertainment system. :D It would be a great present for my wife' date=' I mean for me from my wife. ;)[/quote']

It's not designed to work in a Jr.! Besides' date=' most Jr's have the TIA soldered into the board.[/quote']

Actually it *is* designed to work with a JR. But it hasn't been tested (long story...I won't go there).

Note that it's only the second rev that will work with JRs.

It should work. If your JR is socketed (some are) it should be a smooth install. If you don't have a

socketed mb, then you'll need to desolder the TIA chip. Painful, but doable. If you do this, I

recommend *not* adding a socket between the mb and the CyberTech Video Card. Just to give yourself

a little more room in the case.

IMPORTANT: If you decide to install the CyberTech Veido Card (second rev only) in a JR, there are

special instructions you need to follow. Email me for the details....

[edit] Heh...Mike C beat me to it. Thanks Mike!

-Chris

Heh' date=' I didn't know that Rev.2 fits. :dunce:[/quote']

LOL! Me neither!! :D :P

That is until I asked Chris. I could not for the life of me figure out what I was doing wrong. Then I flipped the card around and bingo!! I emailed Chris as soon as I found the problem. He was glad to help and loved the feedback.

Note to all: if you are planning on installing the card in a Jr, ask for Rev 2.0

Otherwise you may end up with the wrong card and have to send it back for the correct one.

Just out of interest does anyone know the score with a PAL system? I presume it should work fine but want to check whether there is any compatability issues.

It will work fine, but you need a pin adapter because the PAL and NTSC pinouts of the TIA are different.

It's unlikely that I'll release an adapter, but it's a simple thing to make. You just need to switch some pins around.

(4 pins I think)

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just got around to installing the Cybertech 2600 S-Video mod, but I'm having major trouble fitting it into the TIA socket of my 4-switch 2600. I line up the pins and push as hard as I can (evenly down), but it just won't go in! It will go in a little, but then pop right out again. In fact, the shielding can't fit because the board is too high. :x

I seem to be following the instructions correctly, but to no avail. It does seem wierd that the pin legs are so long. Is this normal? Does anyone else have this problem? Or am really that weak? :roll:

I just got around to installing the Cybertech 2600 S-Video mod, but I'm having major trouble fitting it into the TIA socket of my 4-switch 2600.  I line up the pins and push as hard as I can (evenly down), but it just won't go in!  It will go in a little, but then pop right out again.  In fact, the shielding can't fit because the board is too high.   :x

I installed five of these yesterday, all in 4-switch 2600 systems. In all but one system I was able to push the board into the TIA socket without too much effort. However, one of them simply refused to go all the way into the socket, and I did exert a fair amount of force. The pins seem to be quite a bit thicker than the pins on the TIA chip. I didn't even bother to put the RF shielding back on any of these systems as I would have had to cut a hole for the cables attached to the s-video board and I was somewhat pressed for time.

..Al

Hi,

I just got around to installing the Cybertech 2600 S-Video mod, but I'm having major trouble fitting it into the TIA socket of my 4-switch 2600.  I line up the pins and push as hard as I can (evenly down), but it just won't go in!  It will go in a little, but then pop right out again.  In fact, the shielding can't fit because the board is too high.   :x

Mine was a little difficult as well... I found the pins were a little too far a part.... so I got one side in slightly and then I used a mesure stick to press all the pins on other side inward a a little to make it go in.

I didn't bother to cut the sheild... I found that the mod made the TIA too tall for the sheild to go on so I would have had to cut a big hole for the TIA to stick out..(that is typical right?...I kept wondering if maybe I could have inserted it further but I didn't want to push it)

My only prob is that the cables are so short... Anyone know where I could get an S-video cable with a female end or some other adaptor to alow me to plug another S-video cable into the S-video cable from the mod?

Anyway I think the mod works real slick from what little I've had time to check it out. :)