IGNORED

MAMEing your arcade cabinets (pun intended)

sku_u

Yesterday, I visited a friend of mine who is very much into the playing side of classic gaming. He and I frequently have friendly arguments about the merits of collecting vs playing. His latest project was the completion of his MAME machine. He took a Crystal Castles cabinet and turned it into a MAME unit. What absolutely killed me about this was that the game was functioning and, while it needed some minor touch up and mechanical repair, the machine was in great overall shape. Nevertheless, my friend gutted the cabinet and put his MAME kit in. He was excited about his setup, so I reluctantly tried the cabinet out. IMO the game speed sucks on MAME. I don't see how anyone truly into gaming could possibly be satisfied with slower game speeds and less responsive controls. I was very unimpressed and surprised that my friend who is much more of a gamer than I am is happy with this setup.

I can understand taking a severely damaged salvaged cabinet and doing this to it, but I honestly don't see the logic in destroying a working arcade game to throw this monstrosity inside especially since anyone with a working knowledge of carpentry and access to the Internet can pretty much build one of these from raw materials.

Needless to say, I am extremely opposed to the further destruction of working systems so they can be "MAMED" in both senses of the term.

Any thoughts? Was my experience with MAME the exception to the rule? Did my friend simply screw up the assembly of his kit or is game speed really that noticeably different through MAME cabinets?

I've found that with the right interfaces and computer it's not that much different than the original cabs. Maybe your friend still has work to do with his setup.

Besides, I don't know what he did to his cabinet, but who says you have to destroy a cabinet to MAME it? All you have to do is move aside the PCB and rewire the control panel. Hell, with a JAMMA cabinet, you can use a MultiJAMMA board and add MAME to it while keeping the rest entirely original.

With a good USB keyboard encoder and a decent computer the speed is 100% as fast as a dedicaded cab at least on classic games. Ditto for control responsiveness. Sounds like your friend has some problems that need to be sorted out to me. You are correct that speed can be choppy on newer games, but I only play the stuff I was into in the '80s.

I did make my MAME cab out of an old arcade cab, but it was gutted, the side art was trashed and the bezel and original control panel were both missing. I saved it from the dumpster and it's now a great looking and fun to play gaming system. Yes, I'd love to have a big room full of dedicated arcade machines but I lack the funds and space for such a collection. A MAME cab is a very acceptable alternative in my opinion and I had as much fun building it as I do playing it.

-S

I say only Mame the non restorable cabs. Id prefer to see them restored if at all possible. Classics are to hard to come by. Not to mention you can recreate most cabs with new material. The plans are out there. Some of us would die to have the real things in our homes. Id even like to see more of the less liked games restored and enjoyed. Im eyeing one right now, well until the wife realizes that I am. ;)

How does putting MAME in it render it now non-working/ruined? :?

You can put it all back. A single use game cab that won't get much use because it only has one game in it isn't as cool IMO. Is adding a multi-pac/multi-galaxian/multi-DK mod "ruining" a classic machine?

It's the principle of the thing man. When you gut a ruined cab it's not like you're taking out anything of value to begin with, but if you have a perfectly good game that only needs a little spit polish and fine tuning, why take it away from it's original purpose? If it's a dedicated CC cab and was designed to play that game, gutting it when it's still working and in tact seems sacrosanct.

I agree that only seriously distressed cabs should be used for a MAME conversion. I would never take apart a working dedicated machine (particularly not one as cool as Crystal Castles) to use for a MAME project. There are plenty out there that one one step away from bonfire fodder if you keep your eyes open for them. There's no reason to dismantle a working classic.

-S

I still don't see the problem. If you leave the original artwork and pieces intact you should be able to MAME a cab without damaging it in any way. You simply set the original pieces aside so that someday it can be returned to its original state. Nothing has been destroyed or disposed of and that cabinet is actually getting use where it may have been sitting dormant in some barn someplace rotting away.

I still don't see the problem.  If you leave the original artwork and pieces intact you should be able to MAME a cab without damaging it in any way.  You simply set the original pieces aside so that someday it can be returned to its original state.  Nothing has been destroyed or disposed of and that cabinet is actually getting use where it may have been sitting dormant in some barn someplace rotting away.

The problem is not many people will go through the trouble of carefully dismantling the original game, then store the unused pieces properly with the intention of eventualluy putting them back. They'll carelessly rip out the internals not in use and/or Ebay what's still usable, making the cabinet utterly worthless.

The problem is not many people will go through the trouble of carefully dismantling the original game, then store the unused pieces properly with the intention of eventualluy putting them back.  They'll carelessly rip out the internals not in use and/or Ebay what's still usable, making the cabinet utterly worthless.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Every person I know who has the ability to make a MAME cabinet has enough respect for the original cabinet to convert it without destroying it. I haven't come across anyone yet who has simply gutted a cab without regard for conserving it.

Im sticking with what I said earlier. If the cabinet is a rare or much loved game, Tempest, Pac-Man, Battlezone, etc... It should get restored. Find the parts and bring it back to life or sell it to somone who will. The dimesions are out there and the artwork is available to create your own cab to classic dimensions if you want a classic styled Mame cab. At the very least, save the CP and don't drill more holes in it.

In my regards: I've tried selling the Tempest cab for over 2 years. No luck in that area. So, I'm going to make it enjoyable once again... WITHOUT ruining anything.

The CP is removed, and a slightly different CP will be used... but other than that... the cab will still look exactly like a Tempest. Restored to it's beauty.

In my regards:  I've tried selling the Tempest cab for over 2 years.  No luck in that area.  So, I'm going to make it enjoyable once again... WITHOUT ruining anything.  

The CP is removed, and a slightly different CP will be used... but other than that... the cab will still look exactly like a Tempest.  Restored to it's beauty.

Where is it? I'd LOVE a Tempest cabinet even if it's empty.

i built my mame cab out of an arcade collector's throw away taito cab. the thing had been covered on the sides with black spraypaint and nearly gutted inside (just the coin door and electrical harness remained). i spent lots of time goof off'ing the side art until it came out as a pretty clean lime green taito cab, most likely a jungle hunt, but i decided it was a jungle king 8) . i searched high and low until i had the proper glass and marquee to make it look arcade ready. now it houses a decent computer, an awesome monitor and an ipac control scheme via a taito panel. in my case i actually mamed it closer to classic condition, part of me wanted to keep going and make it a fully functioning jungle king but due to space and budget concerns i went for an all-in-one mame set up. someday when i choose to move on from the cab the next person to get it will be many steps closer to restoring it all the way.

In my regards:  I've tried selling the Tempest cab for over 2 years.  No luck in that area.  So, I'm going to make it enjoyable once again... WITHOUT ruining anything.  

The CP is removed, and a slightly different CP will be used... but other than that... the cab will still look exactly like a Tempest.  Restored to it's beauty.

Yes, what area?

The area is Tulsa, OK.

No water damage, perfect sideart, Great marquee, still has the wiring harness, excellent coin door, and CP (CP's artwork was taken off. I've taken all of the buttons off and removed the spinner.)

I tried selling a few times, but no one wanted it.