IGNORED

Your personal classic video game demons..

What are the bad memories you strive to forget? Have you ever done something to an item in your game collection you wish you hadn't? Regrets? Broke something?

My demons:

-As a little kid, I colored the black and white Sonic and Knuckles manual with colored pencil. Only recently I attempted to erase it..you can still see the color

-When I was trying to remove sticker residue on a Breakout picture label, I used a chemical and the label erased in a big blotch. Even though this game is common, I still haven't found another picture label to replace it :(

-Spilling chocolate milk on my Mario Is Missing manual

-During a move to another home, my 3DO (bought new back in the day) got 3 scratches right on the top, that wont come out. Also, the N64 got one big scratch near the cartridge port. Who knows how this happened...

-As a little kid, writing IN PEN on my Mario is Missing map poster, I wrote the names of the countries.

-Breaking the rare lid of my NES laserline game storage unit. The lid just opened one day and the left tab broke off. In the wild you will never see these units with the lid still on.

-Trying to use a 9v power supply with my 6v atari pongs, and wondering what's wrong

-Not my fault, but my dad engraved his initials and some ID number on the back of my ORIGINAL game boy. Oh, and I believe I dropped the game boy on cement once...agh

-Blowing on all my game cartridge contacts until 3 months ago, when I learned the joys of cleaning with alcohol, and the horrors of contact corrosion.

-Buying a third party Playstation memory card, that shop owners assured me was a "mega" memory card with tons of pages. I got home, tried it out, it only had the regular amount of memory, but I decided to keep it. To keep a long story short it fully erased all my game saves twice before I took it outside, burned it, and smashed it with a hammer.

-Buying any third party accessories to begin with

-(After buying them when they came out) Not saving any of my Genesis, NES, or SNES boxes.

-Not getting sega channel when it was out. We didn't have cable. My friend had SC and it was so awesome. I'm compiling information to make a website on it someday.

Besides having my GameBoy stolen, I still to this day I regret that I cut up the boxes the games came in and tacked them up to my bedroom wall like posters, then to add insult to injury once the games and system got stolen I was so pissed I THREW THEM AWAY. :P

I was going thru my few coleco games I got in the mail one day and I decided to clean the labels with a dilluted mild cleaner. They all went fine until I got to B.C's quest for tires. the blue on the foil started wiping right off, I ended up wiping about a quarter size part of the main label off. :(

Well I guess the thing I'm beating myself most on the head for is throwing away the packaging my Atari 130XE came in.

Troop at age 12:"Let's get this computer up and running, oh man why all this packaging I'll never ever want this again so I'll just rip it up and throw it away".

Stupid....

/Troop

Back in late 93, I bought a Genesis with the money I got for my bday. A few months later I wanted to play my 2600, but it was gone. My mom let my sister give it to her boyfriend. She them smashed it against a wall a few weeks later. My mom said there's not reason to have 5 game systems. It didn't seem like a lot back then since I only used my families shitty PC to play Pac-Man. I had a Nes, gameboy, PC, 2600, and Genesis all at once for a very short period

I won't even mention the stuff of mine that's been stolen, because it would have to be three posts long.

A series of bullshit events not related to me personally effected a hurried relocation, and I didn't the time or space required to bring my complete boxed C64 and my Master System and the 50-some games I found at a yardsale.

The person who ruined that portion of my life is currently the only person I seriously want to kill.

When I was sixteen I went to a video game show in New York City where I got little 8' by 11' posters of all the Colecovision games that were out and ones that were coming (but never made it out like Dracula and skinng.) I can kick myself for throwing these out at some point. I don't remember doing it but I must have at some point. I have never seen or heard of these anywhere. I've asked people but nobody remembers them. I still kept many Atari pamplets which I still have today luckily but they're not as rare as the Coleco stuff.

Allan

#1: I used Goo-Gone to clean the stickum from one of those game store "VOID" stickers that had been put on a CD-I Zelda game. That's when I found out they used Goo-Gone-soluble ink for the color. I was half tempted to use Goo Gone on the rest of it so I could say that it was a "rare variation" that didn't have color printing.

#2: While trying to take a picture of my "Stress Tester" Vectrex, the sign on top fell to the floor and broke in two. Two big pieces, and a lot of little ones from one end of the crack.

3 Main Regrets:

#3 Leaving my original Gameboy and all of my games (about 15 or so) in the back of some chicks car that I met earlier in the evening. :(

#2 Hard-up for some cash, I gathered my modified Playstation along with all controllers, memory cards, 30 regualr games and about 40 or 50 'copied/piracy' games... and I took it all to the pawn shop. I requested only $40... cause I knew for sure I could get it out the following month. Then my wife totaled my car a few weeks later and the playstation never crossed my mind after that. I went back later... but it was sold. :( :(

and

#1 While stationed in Alaska... I came across a small, back-woods bar that had a Galaga cocktail game. I played it a few times, got drunk and asked how much he wanted to sell the cocktail table for. $100 was the price. My ex-wife said it was too much at the time... and I never went back for it.

That last one still haunts me to this very day!!!!!!!

In no particular order:

(1) Having my Tron handheld game get stolen only within a week or so after getting it as a Christmas present in 1982. I was really let down by that incident until the summer of 1983 when I got a new one for $15.

(2) Spilling a drink on my ColecoVision and almost ruining it (I managed to clean up the spill in time so that it was still playable).

(3) Having a fellow student at St. Vincent's Home steal one of my videogaming books (the big one by Ken Uston about videogame system games) and playing stupid hide-and-seek games with it before he finally and kindly (sarcastically put) gave it back to me. I used to daydream of him being in one of those videogames that I can blast him away or chomp him into little eyes running back into the center box.

Breaking the rare lid of my NES laserline game storage unit. The lid just opened one day and the left tab broke off. In the wild you will never see these units with the lid still on.

Um, I found one with the lid still on... :ponder:

Let's see, I wish I would have kept the boxes and manuals to my Atari 2600 and the games I had as a kid. I swear the system box used to be up in the attic, but I never managed to find it. Mom sold the house and moved a couple of months ago, and I wasn't able to make it back to help out the day the attic got cleaned. I understand they hauled a lot of stuff to the dump. :( I also wished I would have started looking for games a few years earlier than I did when they were more plentiful and cheaper in the wild.

This one is probably foolish, but I'll always wonder about it. I remember that we returned one of our games to the store because it didn't seem to play right. I was pretty young and we only had that game, for about 2 days so I don't remember the exact title. But it was either Shark Attack or the much rarer Lochjaw. It was more than likely just the Shark Attack variant, of course I'll never know for certain. I do know that the reason we returned it was because the diver would sometimes get stuck in the maze, which I understand was one of the bugs of the earlier release. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of Shark Attack to see if I can make the diver get stuck the same way.

Back in the day my friend and I used to collect dust from under the fridge, on top of his dad's record player, where ever we could and put the dust onto the connectors of our favourite NES games to marvel at the strange and unpredictable things your game would do when you tried to play it. Like dust-hacking

-As a little kid, I colored the black and white Sonic and Knuckles manual with colored pencil. Only recently I attempted to erase it..you can still see the color

Sorry - this is actually only as far as I've read thus far, and that was enough to scare the crap out of me, while making me feel old. AS A LITTLE KID? Wow, I remember buying this game with my college sweetie as a senior.

Bifocals and Dentures... those are the only action heros in my future...

Scares me when people refer to Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis as old school. To me old school is Atari 2600 and Mattel Intellivision! I'm glad there are so many kids on these boards who are learning what the REAL old school of gaming is. :thumbsup:

I regret selling my original Atari 2600 and 80+ games.

I regret selling my C64 and 300+ original games.

I regret not buying the boxed Quadrun for $3

I regret leaving the batteries in my Tron tabletop for a year...they 'sloded :(

I regret selling my Bowl*a*tronic...heck all my handheld electronic games...

I DON'T regret getting rid of any of my boxes though...

• 3 weeks later...

No particular order.

#1 - accidently trashing my 5200 when I had some bad carts I was trying on it (dont ask). Ended up blowing a chip. Ended up costing me buying new ones.

#2 - nasty scratch on my gamecube. Not sure how it happened.

#3 - loosing my extra gamecube memory card with animal crossing save. (Still cannot find the thing)

#4 - throwing away my boxes for my SNES games, as well as trading some of them in for newer ones.

#5 - Allowing my mother to give away my Intellivison 2 (or whatever it was)

#6- Trading in my gameboy, gamegear for newer systems

#7- Never picking up a jaguar when it was selling cheap

#8 - Trading in my N64/dreamcast titles for newer games (especially my dreamcast games). It is hard to find them in good condition.

#9 - Selling all my amiga's. 500, 1200, and 2000.

That is all that comes to mind.