IGNORED

Unknown Atari 2600 racing game proto!?

Thomas Jentzsch

The listing layout looks strikingly similar to the Best page with the annoying large type that is different colors all over the place.

I doubt it will make it to the end, without a bin or a shorter listing than 7 days. Ebay police will be all over this...

Cool looking game.

What's really interesting to me, is that it's 1) not Turbo 2) not trying to be passed-off as Turbo. If someone were faking something, I'd suspect that would be the route they'd take (not that anyone around here would ever try something like that). ;)

Since it's a drag-racing game, that solves the problem of having to draw anything else on the screen than what's currently there (ie. other cars). I doubt the buildings even move - they're probably just a static background (since you don't drive very far when drag racing anyway).

It's a nice touch that the cars are different in the street race and in the drag race. I suppose it's too much to ask to hope there's a "career mode". ;)

I'd love to see this in action. I'm curious to see if the cars move at all, or if only the street and timers move.

It reminds me a little of Max RPM, except that came out in 1986.

Hope whoever buys it, dumps it. It'd be great to get the whole story behind it from the programmer, too.

I doubt the buildings even move - they're probably just a static background (since you don't drive very far when drag racing anyway).

:idea: I am quite sure they do move. Else the pattern (windows etc.)wouldn't have to be limited to above the road.

Do you want to bet? ;)

It's kind of funny the seller getting all excited about f8 banking being cutting edge. I guess that's a point in his favor, if he doesn't know about it then he's not capable of laying out a board with it.

I'm not a hardware expert, but my sources would charge around $300 for a board like that. Seems kind of strange if you were faking it. I would have skipped the solder mask to save a ton of money.

The date codes on the chips are plausible, I make the eprom as 12/83 and the other chips as 80 and 82 and possibly 76(I don't recognize the logo). If that is a 76 that it'd be unusual to use a 8 year old chip but not necessarily suspicious since it's an odd chip.

All in all I guess I have no real opinion :)

You know you people take all the fun out of mystery prototypes. :)

Tempest

Seriously, it's getting quite ridicilous, every newbie is given a frigging retina-scan and anal probe lately and every time somebody says they have something that other people don't, they get questioned and scrutinized beyond belief. Even when people just ask, they are accused of wanting to sell something. I am so tired of this shit. :roll:

BTW, Tempest, that PCB looks very similar to an unused Data Age protoboard I have. :)

BTW, Tempest, that PCB looks very similar to an unused Data Age protoboard I have.

Oooo.... You tease! :D

Data Age has always been a very interesting company to me. I know almost nothing about them, and their games (while usually average at best) were always interesting to some degree.

I should do a page about known proto board styles...

Tempest

He only says he got it from an Universal programmer. That doesn't mean that it's an Universal release though. Maybe the guy worked on that before (or after) working at Universal (i know, a little far fetched, but still a possible scenario)

Actually, the description does mention it was an upcoming universal release. This is a quote from the description about half-way down the page:

"Basically an Unannounced, Unreleased and not seen since 1983, Universal made 2600 Prototype Game that was in the works."

Hey guys could this be a early port of the arcade game "MAX RPM" the screen shots look real similar to it, with the 2 cars racing side by side the first couple of levels you start with a red, yellow, green, light bar, then you get to a level where you are street racing and a person stands in the middle of the road and waves you to start just like these screen shots and you go through 4 gears . The only difference is the arcade has a side by side split screen this proto dosnt, the arcade is "1986 bally midway max rpm" Check out the arcade mame and see what you think???

Seriously, it's getting quite ridicilous, every newbie is given a frigging retina-scan and anal probe lately and every time somebody says they have something that other people don't, they get questioned and scrutinized beyond belief.

I think that's the price we have to pay for having people like flexured etc. around.

IMO (judging from the screenshot only!) it is either legit or a very well made fake of a well known programmer. ;) (but I am still waiting for more screenshots to be absolutely sure that the image isn't doctored)

Seriously, it's getting quite ridicilous, every newbie is given a frigging retina-scan and anal probe lately and every time somebody says they have something that other people don't, they get questioned and scrutinized beyond belief.

I think that's the price we have to pay for having people like flexured etc. around.

IMO (judging from the screenshot only!) it is either legit or a very well made fake of a well known programmer. ;) (but I am still waiting for more screenshots to be absolutely sure that the image isn't doctored)

I wondered what you did with that Turbo code. Now it's all clear. :lol:

Here's what another 5 minutes has produced.

Ok, now without flicker (though we can not be sure about that) but with the gap between the digit pairs. :)

And then with different digits! :)

Is there anyway to use the missiles to display graphics?

Yes, but it is quite limited (e.g. see the zombies in WIP Death Derby) and not very often used. Definitely not usable here.

Seriously, it's getting quite ridicilous, every newbie is given a frigging retina-scan and anal probe lately and every time somebody says they have something that other people don't, they get questioned and scrutinized beyond belief. Even when people just ask, they are accused of wanting to sell something. I am so tired of this shit.  :roll:

With prototype boards fetching $$$, it's only natural to place them under a microscope. Current homebrewers are frequently pulling off the once-believed impossible for the 2600...and a really talented programmer could cause quite a stir. Would it be worth it to invest all that time and knowledge into a fake? Is it worth it to do the same designing computer viruses? Unfortunately, both DO happen.

And what I meant about the road was that there's a whole lot going on there. You've got the smooth edges, yes...but look at the entire picture. There are what could only be multiple players used for the 2 cars (the body and tire sets). Those exist on the same line as the lower part of the road (which would also be using sprites to achieve the smooth slant).

Would 30hz sprites show up that clear in a photograph?

And what I meant about the road was that there's a whole lot going on there.  You've got the smooth edges, yes...but look at the entire picture.  There are what could only be multiple players used for the 2 cars (the body and tire sets).  Those exist on the same line as the lower part of the road (which would also be using sprites to achieve the smooth slant).

The tires appeared to be done with the playfield. The only part that I couldn't figure out was the score.

-paul

Those exist on the same line as the lower part of the road (which would also be using sprites to achieve the smooth slant).

No that could be done by using the ball or missiles (though here the color is shared with the sprites).

Would 30hz sprites show up that clear in a photograph?

It depends on the exposure time. If it is 1/30 then there shouldn't be a problem. And the phosphoric effect of a TV helps too.

At least I suppose I know now how the score works:

- both sprites are set to "three copies close"

- both sprites are repositioned 2 times/frame

- to correct the varying positions, different graphics (5x9?) for different colums have to be used

- superfluous sprite copies at the left are hidden behind the playfield which gets priority

Now a simple cycle calculation:

12 (4 * sta RESPx)

+64 (8 * lda(),y; sta GRPx)

+5 (dey, bpl)

----------------------------

81 (total)

So the code is either different or exectuted in RAM which saves 8 cycles (lda abs,y).