IGNORED

I sold all my GBAs but I'll never sell my Lynx II

Sega Ages

The Lynx II is just the greatest handheld ever. I sold my original Indigo GBA a long time ago, that was never much competition for it.

But for a while, when I got my Platinum GBA SP, I thought I had a Lynx II killer on my hands... I changed my mind though, and ended up getting annoyed with my GBA SP so I sold it. But my Lynx II just keeps bringing me enjoyment. I will never sell it. It's such a wonderful system.

pointless Lynx II advocacy> :)

I hear ya mate. The Lynx is the ultimate portable system in my mind. The only reason I'd buy a gameboy advance would be to play doom. Otherwise the Lynx suits me just fine.

It is actually big enough to hold, comfortable (Lynx II anyway). Has a bigger screen- that is actually backlit, and has awesome multiplayer capabilities; which is more than can be said for the gameboy and generally just kicks more ass.

I've owned a Lynx for 12 years and I still play it- all 3 of them too :)

The Lynx II is just the greatest handheld ever.  I sold my original Indigo GBA a long time ago, that was never much competition for it.

But for a while, when I got my Platinum GBA SP, I thought I had a Lynx II killer on my hands... I changed my mind though, and ended up getting annoyed with my GBA SP so I sold it.  But my Lynx II just keeps bringing me enjoyment.  I will never sell it.  It's such a wonderful system.

pointless Lynx II advocacy>  :)

I agree that the Lynx II is a wonderful system that is well worth holding onto, but why rag on the GBA SP? I think they're both great systems that certainly aren't in any retail competition with each other.

Why did you sell your GBA SP? I hope this isn't one of those, "I bought it but the games suck. I played '(insert lame movie-license side-scroller here)' and I hated it, and I'm guessing that all other GBA releases are similar" situations. As much as I like my Lynx, the GBA has a wide selection of really great games, and the SP fixes its worst flaw.

I dunno... I played my ORIGINAL b&w gameboy a lot more than my Lynx for some reason. I was a heavy die hard supporter of the Lynx and bought it at launch as well as every game I could during it's time. But I dunno.. I just played the GB a lot more :P Maybe it's just me.

That being said, of course however you won't see me getting rid of my Lynx or carts anytime soon. :D

...and THAT being said you won't see me getting rid of my GB's (any of them) as well. 8)

I have the similar sentiments. I love the Lynx to death and the definitive versions of Klax, Xenophobe, Rampart and Robotron where you can't find anywhere else, but the ultimate portable? Simply put, the GBA SP at this time is the ultimate portable with the Neo Geo Pocket a close second. You can put both in your pocket and can whip it out at any time, anywhere. Both have superior battery life. I like the SP's compact design. The Lynx is simply a battery hog and too large as a portable. I brought that Battery pack with those 6 D size batteries on the plane, and let me tell you, after lugging that thing around, I got shoulder fatigue. I played Card Fighters Clash on the Neo Geo Pocket to Spain and back, 20 hours total on the plane and in the airport without having to change the two AA battteries. The Lynx can't do that. Yeah, the GBA has more than its share of crap, however, there is more than enough good GBA, GBC and GB games to keep me happy. I am a Lynx fanboy but not so much so to ignore its shortcomings and it inferiority in certain respects to other portables.

Yes I'd have to agree with some of the above posts. However. I would like to point out that the Lynx is now 15 years old and comparing it with modern systems like the GBA and Neo Geo pocket is slightly unfair.

Yes the battery life on the Lynx sucks, but with a bit of tinkering that can be fixed with fantastic results- which can't be said for the original gameboy with its reflective screen.

There are many games on the Lynx that I refuse to play- because they suck. However they many games that I enjoy are more my taste rather than the game boys library.

The game boy was and still is marketed at children (mostly), whereas the Lynx was not. Yes you can't fit it in your pocket, but when do u have room for a gameboy? With all your keys, wallet and phone (which most have crappy games to pass the time).

The was and still is an underrated system, and the only other machine that can match its processing power is the gba or the sega nomad- 10 years later.

Of course it is unfair to compare a fifteen year old system to today's portables but that is the point, isn't it? You can't make a blanket statement that the Lynx is the ultimate portable without making such a comparison. I certainly don't collect GBA games but sheesh, even if what you say is true and most GBA games are crap, you still got a few bona fide classics out there that will keep you amused for a long time to come. I can name a few off the top of my head in ten seconds: Zelda Series, Tetris, Advance Wars, Metroid series, Super MArio World and Bros. Golden Sun, Castlevania, Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart. You get the point. I don't know how much tweaking you can do to a Lynx in terms of battery life, but you still got to load a mimimum of 6 AA batteries as opposed to 2 for the Neo Geo and zero for the GBA SP.

Lynx is a great handheld, but to say it is the ultimate portable misses the mark.

Indeed I do not think that the Lynx is the ultimate portable. I'am simply saying the it is my favourite. Iam in no way dismissing the gameboy or any other systems and I do think that the gameboy has some killer titles, which I endeavour to play when I can.

It is unfair however to compare the lynx with modern systems. When people talk about the gameboy, they are often referring to the advance model. If we were to compare the Lynx with the original gameboy; the Lynx kills it. Yes you have to load 6 batteries in it- but anyone who doesn't use rechargable batteries will kick the stinks. I can get 6 hours of battery life from my lynx with new rechargeable batteries and 20+ hours with my modified lynx (running LED backlights). Lets not forget that the original gameboy was a fat bastard too. Don't forget the past.

I can get 6 hours of battery life from my lynx with new rechargeable batteries and 20+ hours with my modified lynx (running LED backlights).

Whoa! I know this has been tried in the past, but never successful.

May you enlighten us how you did it? :roll:

Do you have some pictures of the opened Lynx with LEDs?

Certainly. Give me a day or so and I'll post the pics. It does work. However the leds have to be positioned so they don't create spotlights on the screen- this is hard to eliminate completely. Its an excellent modification and I recommend it to everybody. In fact I might prepare a DIY guide for the fans of the Lynx!

The game boy was and still is marketed at children (mostly), whereas the Lynx was not.

I don't think that's quite a fair statement. Sure, Nintendo has a reputation as a "kiddie" company, but part of that reason is because they release a lot of "Rated 'E'" titles, as opposed to constantly trying to push the envelope with (often needless) graphic violence and profanity.

In the past year, the GBA has had Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Wario Ware, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun 2, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Metroid Zero Mission, and more, and although many of these titles are Rated E, it would be difficult to prove to me that any of these are "kiddie" titles, other than the fact that there's very little inoffensive material to be found.

Sure, you'll find Digimon and Pokemon games on the GBA as well, but even the Lynx has some "aw, how cute!" titles, like Scrapyard Dog and Super Skweek.

Those are pretty good points, cryptik76. A lot of E-rated games aren't necessarily "kiddie" games. Just because a game doesn't have violence or profanity or sexual content doesn't mean it can't appeal to a mature audience.

I remember seeing an advertisement way back in the early 1990's in (I think) USA Weekend (a supplement that appears in some Sunday newspapers each week). The ad showed a middle-aged man enjoying a game of Tetris on a Game Boy, and was trying to convey that the Game Boy would make a great Father's Day gift.

Certainly. Give me a day or so and I'll post the pics. It does work. However the leds have to be positioned so they don't create spotlights on the screen- this is hard to eliminate completely. Its an excellent modification and I recommend it to everybody. In fact I might prepare a DIY guide for the fans of the Lynx!

It would be great, I would tweak my Lynx for sure :)

#dreaming of a Lynx with a 20 hours battery life :love: #

• 3 weeks later...

Err... What about the pics or the DIY guide of the LED-backlit Lynx? :ponder:

Err... What about the pics or the DIY guide of the LED-backlit Lynx?

Yes all things come to those who wait. Yes Iam am the middle of documenting my conversion. However since I converted my lynx to run on LEDS many moons ago, I never documented it. Now that I have some spare time iam pulling apart my Lynx again and taking pictures of every process. I was planning to make this into a document file to download. Does everyone think this is a good idea? Or should I just post it online?