IGNORED

Hookng up two systems

How do you hook up two systems that use coax inputs and still have the cable hooked up? I have a Jag and a 7800, but it is a pain in the butt to play one, because the game I want to play is usually on the other system. I have a switchbox, the one the Sku told me about (thanks). So, how do I do it?

I may be confusing what 'coaxial' is. Is that the RF connector?

I think so, its not the one with seperate A/V inputs (Like modern systems). Can you post a link for the ABC switch (my searches bring up the one I have for my Xbox, Ps2 and DVD, and those are all A/V)

Can't edit..

Why is that? I cant either. You posted while I was writing my post, so disregard that one.

As for the editing, I used to, but when I clicked on the edit button, it said "You can only edit you own posts." And it was on my post. Wierd...

i have a coax switch box, it works pretty well

What kind of coax switcher do you have? I've tried a couple that don't work that great.. I'm wondering if it's because I'm using a RF to Coax converter like the ones found here:

http://www.atariage.com/store/product_info...?products_id=42

The signal is great using those things.. But I can't get my switchers to work properly. What's the deal?! :? :?

Disabling post editing is the act of an admin, and rather ridiculous, as all it serves to do is fuck the bandwidth of the server by making people post more, and bloating the archive.

From what I can tell, adding a post to the database is MUCH faster than editing one... of course, you end up trading database size for speed, but whatever.

Now, as for connecting two RF systems, just use two RF switches plugged into each other, and then plug the cable line into the back of that. Simple.

--Zero

I may be confusing what 'coaxial' is. Is that the RF connector?

The RF connector on a console is usually an "RCA" type cable. (Modern systems have 3 component RCA outputs... video and 2 audio; older systems have a single composite A/V RCA output.) Coaxial is the screw-on type connector used for cable TV (also known as the most poorly designed adapter interface in the history of human technology).

Here's a comparison... the plug on the left is RCA, the one on the right is coaxial (although it looks a bit different from most cheap standard cable TV-style coaxial plugs):

11x1-021.jpg

Agreed... and there are two big problems with it:

1. It didn't take into account that most of the time the screwing-on would be taking place while reaching around (sounds kinky) behind a large device in an awkward position... it's nearly impossible to line the plug up properly under those circumstances.

2. People move stuff. Things change. Users will always defy expectations.

What really annoys me is that there are now push-on coaxial plugs that work very well but they have failed to become the "standard" form of coaxial plug. No excuse.

It's just a bad design, plain and simple, and it has caused me aggravation my entire life.

Push on connectors, called "Quick F" connectors, have less contact area for the shield connection which can cause a slightly degraded picture. That may be why you don't see them as often.

In the cable picture a few posts back, the cable on the right has a BNC connector, which for A/V use you'll only see on professional equipment.

Does the 7800 use an auto switchbox? I never received a switchbox with mine, and I modded it for s-video anyway. Since the Jag uses an auto switchbox, why not just chain them together?

Ah yes, BNC. I haven't seen those since my MCSE training days. Anyway it was the best comparison pic I could find on a quick Google Image Search.

The 7800 shipped with a regular manual RF switch, but it seems to work with an auto switch. (That is... I plugged it into my NES auto switch and it worked.)