IGNORED

Controlling boards spammers

Clock

Is there any way in which we can control spammers from these boards. I notice one user as having 220 posts already and he/she joined on the 9th!!! That must mostly be spam but this user isn't the only one to have done this as we all know.

I'm gonna drop the name-bomb. I noticed all the uneccessary posts, too. Such as "thanx for the info" and "that's funny lol thanks"

atari_wizard

Total posts: 247

[0.04% of total / 27.44 posts per day]

Near 30 posts a day! Dear god...

Why don't the two of you get off your high horses? You've both posted your share of crap just like everyone else here. It's nice to see people giving a such a warm welcome to a new member. :roll:

I've read through his posts and not ONE of them is spiteful or hurtful to anyone. Unless someone's going out of their way to flame another member or hijacking multiple threads and replying to themselves, I don't see what the big deal is.

I've read through his posts and not ONE of them is spiteful or hurtful to anyone.  Unless someone's going out of their way to flame another member or hijacking multiple threads and replying to themselves, I don't see what the big deal is.

:thumbsup:

Did I just spam? :?

:thumbsup:

Did I just spam? :?

:ponder: not sure..... lets run it through the spam formula and see what the results show up as...

seconding with smiley a legitimate comment on spam + thread about spam = :!: :!: :!:

error code 59AM - term 'seconding with smiley' detected in spam formula.....

result....

not spam but also not non-spam, result: free posting.

I cant edit my posts, so I'll have to spam instead :P

A differant board I'm a member of has recently introced a minimum on the number of characters per post, I think its set to 20.

This has obviously resulted in a drastic reduction of the smiley only posts Shortly demonstrated.

Used in moderation the smiley only post is OK IMO, but it easily gets out of hand and abused to increase post count/stats.

Rest assured if I ever administer a forum, this minimum character limit feature will be active.

okay, i am an adult here. i didn't realize it was that big of an issue. i usually spend most of my day on the computer anyways. i just love atari and am not looking to make any enemies. so i will tone it down. sorry once again. :sad:

Don't worry about it, at least your posts are Atari-related and not complaints ;)

I know some people have different meanings for what is a SPAM post.

Exactly. SPAM would have to be defined before people can be kicked out because of it.

I think it's spam when it's supposed to be annoying, spiteful, harmful, and/or irritating. Like candiru said, some settle down after a while (me, for example).

All I have to say to you is "03 Jan 2004" !

I think it's time to go back to that day and hit a delete thread button.

As do I. That was incredibly stupid.

I cant edit my posts, so I'll have to spam instead :P

A differant board I'm a member of has recently introced a minimum on the number of characters per post, I think its set to 20.

This has obviously resulted in a drastic reduction of the smiley only posts Shortly demonstrated.

Used in moderation the smiley only post is OK IMO, but it easily gets out of hand and abused to increase post count/stats.

Rest assured if I ever administer a forum, this minimum character limit feature will be active.

Fretwobbler that would be worse! instead of :) posts you would get

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) posts which

looks really ugly as you can see! :sad:

Maybe this guys posts would count as spam:

http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t...0553&highlight=

http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t...0552&highlight=

http://atariage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t...0551&highlight=

Instead of one for all his auctions he's got three seperate threads and he's only got 9 posts total.

Looks like an auction pimp to me. I personally wouldn't buy from a pimp, but then, I've stopped using eBay anyway.

Oh dear, this thread got a lot more attention than I expected.

Firstly I would like to say that I thought I worded my original post carefully and mentioned no names so as to hopefully not single out any user. I didn't want to be seen as personally attacking someone as that was not my attention. I appologise to the AA member in question and regret now giving any figures.

My actual intention was to put an idea in Alberts head for the new forum software. It was just a suggestion/solution to a problem we have experienced in the past. I guess I didn't word my original post so well as this went over many peoples head. So I appologise to everyone now and hopefully this thread will get back on track.

And finally just to clarify, my definition of spam is pointless posts for the sake of raising post counts. Like I said before, we do need some of this to give the community a human touch so to speak but too much and we will see someof the crap which has occured in the past.

Oh dear, this thread got a lot more attention than I expected.

Firstly I would like to say that I thought I worded my original post carefully and mentioned no names so as to hopefully not single out any user. I didn't want to be seen as personally attacking someone as that was not my attention. I appologise to the AA member in question and regret now giving any figures.

My actual intention was to put an idea in Alberts head for the new forum software. It was just a suggestion/solution to a problem we have experienced in the past. I guess I didn't word my original post so well as this went over many peoples head. So I appologise to everyone now and hopefully this thread will get back on track.

And finally just to clarify, my definition of spam is pointless posts for the sake of raising post counts. Like I said before, we do need some of this to give the community a human touch so to speak but too much and we will see someof the crap which has occured in the past.

+1 :P

I'd like a system similar to what they use at www.tek-tips.com . Registered users could vote on posts that they find helpful or inappropriate. This would provide the feedback needed so the system (or moderator) can automatically deal with stupid posts. It also provides a way to more accurately measure the quality, not just the quantity of people's posts. This doesn't mean we'd be voting constantly. In practice, most posts won't get any feedback. The ones that get people voting would be the really good or really bad ones.

At minimum, I'd be happy with just a way to vote for inappropriate posts, and more than some number of votes would cause the post to not be counted.

I'd like a system similar to what they use at www.tek-tips.com .  Registered users could vote on posts that they find helpful or inappropriate.  This would provide the feedback needed so the system (or moderator) can automatically deal with stupid posts.  It also provides a way to more accurately measure the quality, not just the quantity of people's posts.  This doesn't mean we'd be voting constantly.  In practice, most posts won't get any feedback.  The ones that get people voting would be the really good or really bad ones.

At minimum, I'd be happy with just a way to vote for inappropriate posts, and more than some number of votes would cause the post to not be counted.

That would turn this site into a popularity contest. If that ever took place, I'd stop posting here since I come here when I want a break from work, not to feel like I have to hold back like I do at work. Besides, who's to decide whether or not something is spam?

I'd like a system similar to what they use at www.tek-tips.com .  Registered users could vote on posts that they find helpful or inappropriate.  This would provide the feedback needed so the system (or moderator) can automatically deal with stupid posts.  It also provides a way to more accurately measure the quality, not just the quantity of people's posts.  This doesn't mean we'd be voting constantly.  In practice, most posts won't get any feedback.  The ones that get people voting would be the really good or really bad ones.

The problem with this is that there are some rivalries on this board.

For Example, suppose one member posted something, do you think his rivals would think twice before voting his posts as inappropriate, even if they are perfectly fine posts?

IMHO, it would create too many divisions and too much work for the moderators.