IGNORED

1200XL power supply substitute?

Voch

After scanning the message boards I haven't found an exact answer to this (I found the reverse question several times in the 5200 forum) so I'm asking away...

A coworker gave me a "don't know if it works" Atari 1200XL with no power supply to add to my collection (before you ask...I'd like to keep it :)). Before I blow money on a power supply for this machine I already have tons of bricks (Atari 2600 [uses a universal PS], 5200, 7800, 65XE, Intellivision II, ColecoVision, NES [uses my 5200's PS]).

Will any of the power supplies I already have power the 1200XL (I know the 7800, 65XE, and ColecoVision's won't just because of their connectors). I've read the specifications (none directly match, of course) but don't know how "tolerant" a 1200XL is (e.g. I never know my 5200 PS would power the NES until I read it online).

If not...anyone want to swap an NES for a 1200XL PS and a few 8-bit carts? :twisted:

Voch

The 1200XL takes the same supply as the 800/810/1050 (9VAC).

-Bry

I don't have an 800. I used to...I traded it for 2600 goodies a few years ago when I decided to be a "console only" collector (that was before I found out I really liked the 8-bit's games...forgive me).

Voch

I'm just going to bring the thing with the power specifications from the FAQ into Radio Shack after work. It's worth the money to have a backup 8-bit machine and power supply (and it's just so pretty compared to my sun-baked 65XE).

Voch

I dropped by the local Radio Shack. The highest amperage available in a 9V AC adapter was 1000mA. They have a "universal" AC power supply that supposedly does 9V/1700mA but it was $30 (and I didn't get a good look at anyway). I'll get a PS from eBay or Best Electronics...

Voch

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone cares, I got it working temporarily with my Intellivision II power supply (16.7VAC, 1A...the 1200XL's CO14319 power supply is 9 VAC, 1.7 A). Probably not a good idea to do this long-term (over-voltage and under-amperage) but it was good enough to confirm that the 1200XL at least works...

Voch

Best Electronics has tons of 'em in stock for $12 each plus a few bucks shipping (minimum $20 on a credit card order...I'm figuring out what else I should purchase). I just need to break down and get one (and in the meantime I have my 65XE anyway).

But if anyone needs anything out of my trade list...just ask (it's called a "give/trade" list because most of it ends up just given away).

Voch