IGNORED

What's this hacked Atari controller for?

Atari Rescue Group

I tried doing a web search for "Alpha Joystick", and the only information I found that sounded at all relevant seemed to suggest that the joystick is meant for the TRS-80 (this TRS-80 page has a program on it called "Alpha Joystick Demonstration", written in BASIC... and this page, which is documentation for an Amiga-based TRS-80 emulator, claims that software written by "Big 5" (Creators of Miner 2049'er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back I believe), looks for an Alpha Joystick). Now, as far as I knew, TRS-80's generally have two round 5-pin (?) joystick ports, so perhaps this is some non-standard joystick that plugs into a different port on the machine?

--Zero

The joystick casings have "CO...." part numbers so maybe they got them from a supplier with Atari stuff. There's not much to the adapter. It's a small piece of metal folded in half which covers a small board attached to the adapter plug.

Thanks for the help all -- this thing is on ebay. Hopefully it will find a good home.

Now, as far as I knew, TRS-80's generally have two round 5-pin (?) joystick ports, so perhaps this is some non-standard joystick that plugs into a different port on the machine?

The Tandy/RS Colour Computer (and a few models of the 1000-series PCs) used the round joystick ports. This joystick is for the TRS-80 Model I/II/IV series.

These were mainly intended as business-class computers, but they were very popular in schools (the very first computer I ever used as a TRS-80 Model III) and some decent games were written for them.

I remember hearing that a joystick was available, but this is the first I have ever seen. Looking at the connector, I would guess that it connects to the printer port.