IGNORED

CC2 game ROM differences

kheller2

I wasn't sure to post this here or on the 2600 forum... but its related to CC2, so here goes.

I have several, as I'm sure we all do, ROMS that CC2ROMDB doesn't recognize... at last count around 74. And I'm using the updated controller CC2ROMDB file mentioned in another thread.

I've noticed that the Stella emulator can identify many of the games that CC2ROMDB doesn't. Is this because these ROMs are considered bad or hacked in some fashion?

I also have a version of Cat Trax which is different from the one at AA ( 9 bytes are different).

So, I guess another question I have is there anyone keeping track of these versions and the differences? I'd be glad to share my unknown ROM collection if someone were to research it for historical interests.

I have 534 2600 "known" ROMs.

On another note... does anyone have the mutli-stage SC roms? I have a collection but they are just one file per game.

It just means that the few of us that generated the CRCs for the database didn't have time to do every known ROM. So we tried to grab the most common version of the game ROM if there was more than one available.

I think there is around 3000 different 2600 ROMs out there of which the CC2 database recognizes around 1100.

It's just more a matter of time to do it than anything else.

Mitch

Has anyone been able to get the following working on the CC2?:

Gato

Spacewar

Taquart's sprite demos

Senso

Impossible Mission (NTSC - patched)

VCS Video

Any chance our friends that have MISSING IN ACTION, SIRIUS and PLUTOS will finally turn over the ROMS to see if they work on a CUTTLE CART?

I got these ones working with the following bank/startup

GATO - 7800_48K 78BIOS

(gato is only a graphical demo, so it isn't playable)

Spacewar - 7800_4K 78BIOS

Impossible Mission - 78SC_R8K 78BIOS

I could not get VCS Video to work. I thought it was just a regular 3F file with 78bios startup.

And I don't have Taquart's demos, or senso

I guess I should ask in more detail... what are those 3000+ ROMs differences? I mean, did they really make 12 slightly different versions of combat over the years?

Does anyone have a guess as to how many unique games there are for the 2600? I'm guessing around 600. I'm not including ROM revisions... but I guess pirated versions of games with edited graphics would add up.

BTW.. thanks for the information on adding ROMs to the DB. I head read that thread before but I guess I asked the question in the wrong way. My thinking was, some of the unknown ROMs are the same games as those in the CC2ROMDB but have changed bytes. Okay fine. Then I noticed that AA only has one version, for the most part, of each game. So, I said to myself, what have I got here then?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Of the ~3000 ROMs the majority are hacks of original games. Either old PAL pirate hacks or modern graphic hacks. There are also multiple "in progress" version of the various completed and uncompleted homebrews. For instancd Good2600 1.0 recognizes 65 versions of the hombrew game QB. There also many alternate and bad dumps in there as well. I doubt that the CC2 database will ever include any of these type of ROMs. There are probably some legitimate ROMs that were missed but if they are pointed out, there is a good chance they will be included in a later update.

And, of course, you always have the ability to manually add anything you want to your list with a little work. :)

Mitch

The CC2 Rom database was put together as an attempt to list the major unique games and not all the clones and very slight varations.

I think a lot of the one that differ by a few bytes are just the result of artifacts from various cartridge dumpers. (Especially for bankswitched games.)

I didn't put the list together, but let others who know far more about the 2600 and 7800 game libraries do that for me. Personally I'd like to keep the database along those lines, but if someone else wants to build a more inclusive feel free. I can supply the CRC generation program to figure out the signature of undetected ROMs.

Chad

I don't have any of the games on the list of not working.  How big are these ROMs?  Are the first two 2600 or 7800?  (I assume the VCS is 2600.)

Taquart's sprite demos  

Senso  

VCS Video

Chad

The sprite demo was a 7800 graphics demo which was incorporated into the 7800 homebrew Senso DX. Since it's still a work in progress I didn't include it. I suppose if enough people want it I could generate the CRC entery for it.

I don't think I have VCS Video either, was that one of Andrew Davies' demos?

Mitch

I didn't put the list together, but let others who know far more about the 2600 and 7800 game libraries do that for me.  Personally I'd like to keep the database along those lines, but if someone else wants to build a more inclusive feel free.  I can supply the CRC generation program to figure out the signature of undetected ROMs.

It was easier for me to just have cc2menugen print out the CRC on non-matcing ROMs. It's just an extra %.8X in the printf.