IGNORED

Finally completed my Zellers collection

sku_u

Wow! Apparently there's two end label variations, then, 'cause all my Zellers carts have the same style end label and yours do not. I see at least three different styles.

For the record, all mine look like the Dragon Treasure/Earth Attack ones. I have Pinball and Freeway that look like that.

Boxes?  :ponder:  :P

I have a few but don't actively collect 2600 boxes for games. No space. Besides, Zeller's boxes are ugly. :P

That's cool Sku, however I think the front labels are the best, you should have taken a shot of all laying down so they could be seen. End labels are plain jane boring.  I've only ever found 1 in Georgia, Dragon Treasure.  I wonder how it got down here, it was a long way from home!

I absolutely agree! :D

post-2394-1085448731_thumb.jpg

Adn what about my "Canival II" [sic] and "Emdurl" [also sic]? They are identical to Zellers releases.. should they therefore be counted too?

I imagine they've been as near to a Zellers store as some of the carts you have down as "Zellers". :)

(Thinking of starting a "People's Front for Freeing Pirate Carts from Mislabelling" movement... :) )

Adn what about my "Canival II" [sic] and "Emdurl" [also sic]? They are identical to Zellers releases.. should they therefore be counted too?

I imagine they've been as near to a Zellers store as some of the carts you have down as "Zellers". :)

(Thinking of starting a "People's Front for Freeing Pirate Carts from Mislabelling" movement... :) )

One of the differences between these and Zellers carts is that the carts you mentioned have generic artwork regardless of the title whereas each Zellers cart has artwork specific to that game. Zellers also didn't misspell names like many Brazilian companies did. I also have a Reever Raad cart that looks like a Zellers cart (not pictured).

I have most of those Zellers lookalikes, btw, including Dig Dug (PAL, definitely not Zellers). ;)

They are all Taiwan pirates from the same factory, and most came in red boxes, so ones again Zellers is not a brand.

- Sandy

Maybe Sears shouldn't be a brand either, just more Atari variations.

Or Quelle or Marpes or Polyvox for that matter.

One of the differences between these and Zellers carts is that the carts you mentioned have generic artwork regardless of the title whereas each Zellers cart has artwork specific to that game. Zellers also didn't misspell names like many Brazilian companies did. I also have a Reever Raad cart that looks like a Zellers cart (not pictured).

I have most of those Zellers lookalikes, btw, including Dig Dug (PAL, definitely not Zellers). ;)

Well they all are from the same factory, and come in the same cases and red boxes. Zellers just happened to only sell 8 titles of the whole assortment.

So once again Zellers is not a manufactuer/brand but a dealer of these games.

-Sandy

Well they all are from the same factory, and come in the same cases and red boxes. Zellers just happened to only sell 8 titles of the whole assortment.

So once again Zellers is not a manufactuer/brand but a dealer of these games.

-Sandy

I never said differently. Sears, Quelle, and Marpes are also not manufacturers, but dealers of games, yet people collect those. I'm not sure I'm seeing your point?

There are Atari games that were manufactured in the US, Taiwan, and a multitude of other places. I've never head of anyone collecting by where something is manufactured before.

i think you guys are agreeing more than disagreeing. calling something a pirate or whatever is really more semantics than a classification since we don't really have a "standard" in this hobby for what to call something. sometimes it is easy to distinguish a cartridge by distributer (sears or zellers is what i'm thinking in this case) because the name is printed either on the cartridge or box or both. for example,

atari: combat sears: tank plus zellers: frontline

panda: exocet froggo: cruise missile zellers: radar

unfortunately with zellers, the only place the zellers name appears is on the box. so you can't definitively identify a game that was a zellers "release" unless you have the zellers box.

zellers is not the only situation where there is no identifier on the cartridge. hot shot (goliath), rainbow vision, suntek, action hi-tech, marpes, funvision, are examples of generic game labels that had a company name on the box. i don't know if "quelle" appeared in print on any boxes, but there is often a clear plastic sticker with Quelle on the box plus some docs also have Quelle printed on them.

then there are the real mysteries that have generic labels, and generic boxes and often have no docs at all. the "taiwan cooper" games are a good example of these:

http://www.atariage.com/software_list.html...ordsPerPage=100

http://www.atariage.com/box_page.html?Soft...8&BoxStyleID=76