IGNORED

Thief: Deadly Shadows... two more days!

Only two more days until the release of Thief: Deadly Shadows! I've been waiting for four years for this sequel, and though I'm trying to keep my expectations low I can't help but be excited.

Unfortunately, I won't be getting my new video card until the following day, so the first evening will probably just be me getting used to the new engine and new controls.

Anybody else getting this one?

I definitely would like to try it out. I'm just pissed right now that I can't get Thief 2 to run on my PC. I'm hoping that this new Thief game doesn't go the route of Deus Ex 2. If it's faithful to the old Thief games then I will definitely pick it up.

We got copies in our store today and I looked at the package while pricing it and noticed the "Ion Storm" logo..

It made me giggle.

Then I had flashbacks to Time Magazine when John Romero left id to create Ion. Then to the development stage of Diakatana. Then to the release. Then to the games huge flop.

Then I laughed some more. :lol:

We got copies in our store today and I looked at the package while pricing it and noticed the "Ion Storm" logo..

It made me giggle.

Then I had flashbacks to Time Magazine when John Romero left id to create Ion. Then to the development stage of Diakatana. Then to the release. Then to the games huge flop.

Then I laughed some more. :lol:

While you're busy laughing, also try to remember that Ion Storm Austin (the guys responsible for Thief as well as the Deus Ex games) were a "continuation" of Looking Glass Software, one of the best PC game development houses ever.

Also remember that the main person you are laughing at (John Romero) did help create one of the best PC games ever. While much of the ridicule towards him was brought on by himself, I doubt your typical pissant gaming dweeb could create a better game than Daikatana. I just don't see the point of the continuing humiliation that PC gamers like to try to put John Romero through.

No..

I still find it funny. And will until my dying day.

Diakatana.. HAHAHA! :lol:

Not saying that Thief sucks. Just that seeing the Ion Storm logo made me burst out in uncontrollable hilarious laughter.

I think you need to get out of the house a bit more.

No..

I still find it funny. And will until my dying day.

Diakatana.. HAHAHA! :lol:

Not saying that Thief sucks. Just that seeing the Ion Storm logo made me burst out in uncontrollable hilarious laughter.

I think you need to get out of the house a bit more.

And you need to stop trying to steal gold rings from poor innocent Hobbits.

Diakatana.. PFFFTHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :lol:

I think its offical, I am THE ONLY person who actually didnt HATE Dikatana. Oh well.

I'm mostly with J, it still makes me laugh, not Ion Storm but Daikatana. I was really big into online FPS at the time, (Quake, Q2, etc.) and we all play the game the day the demo came out and they made you play through the MPlayer service. What a joke, it was so bad that we had a good laugh for years afterwards :)

I'm looking forward to this new Thief also, maybe when I upgrade my system for HL-2 with the rest of the PC world I'll pick this up :)

I think its offical, I am THE ONLY person who actually didnt HATE Dikatana. Oh well.

I didn't hate Daikatana. I got bored with it about halfway through (actually, I got frustrated with the female sidekick, who kept getting stuck on stuff), but I didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as people made it out to be. It's unspectacular but not terrible, and it seems worse because of all the hype it got.

I'm not an Ion Storm-hater. I was disappointed in Deus Ex: Invisible War, but I really enjoyed the first Deus Ex and Anachronox. I was a little worried about Thief: Deadly Shadows not living up to the Thief legacy, but so far (I'm only on the second mission right now) I'm really impressed with it. It ran like a dog on my GeForce FX 5200 (like less than 10 FPS at 1024x768), but once I installed my new FX 5700 Ultra, I began getting an average of 31 FPS (according to FRAPS). So if anyone wants to upgrade their computers in order to play this game, I would say that getting a new video card will probably make the most difference.

As far as the game itself, it looks spectacular on my machine. Almost every surface is bumpmapped, and character models and lighting are great. There are those who would disagree with me, but I'd say that, after Far Cry, this is about the most impressive-looking game I've played.

I just remember being so confused and bummed that John left. I saw it in an issue of Time in the 90's. It was him sitting in a "Virtual" room from his new upcoming game "Daikatana" which was supposed to have time traveling elements and such..

While bummed that the DOOM master had left, I was interested in this new game they were hyping. And boy, did they hype it.

By the time it came out, my computer was too far behind to even be able to run it, so I just had to go on reviews..

After those reviews, I was glad I hadn't gotten it let me just say.

That's the problem; reviewers can be huge idiots. Daikatana wasn't a great game, but many of the reviews for it were really stupid. It was just one of those games "clever" reviewers liked to tear apart.

You can find Daikatana for like $5 nowadays. I recommend it at that price (and download the patch); if you're a shooter fan, you probably won't hate it.

That's the problem; reviewers can be huge idiots. Daikatana wasn't a great game, but many of the reviews for it were really stupid. It was just one of those games "clever" reviewers liked to tear apart.

You can find Daikatana for like $5 nowadays. I recommend it at that price (and download the patch); if you're a shooter fan, you probably won't hate it.

I don't do PC gaming. But you can also find the N64 version for $5. Stupid question.. how does it compare? Was the 64 one before or after the patch? Or does it suck to high Heaven?

I don't do PC gaming. But you can also find the N64 version for $5. Stupid question.. how does it compare? Was the 64 one before or after the patch? Or does it suck to high Heaven?

I don't know anything about the N64 version, except that (unless I'm mistaken) it was never released except to rental stores like Blockbuster. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement for the game.

Just finished playing thru the first couple of levels of Thief for the xbox and it is very well done.

I've been taking my time (and playing it only at night), so I'm only between the second and third "real" missions (not including the training mission at the beginning), and just exploring the city. Although the freeform city exploration isn't as exciting as it could have been, it's still a nice feature. Some of my favorite missions from Thief 2 were ones where you got to explore a nice section of the city ("Ambushed" and "Life of the Party," the latter being perhaps my favorite level of any game ever), so for that to be such a big part of this sequel is nice.

I like the missions so far, and I'm quite impressed with the visuals and sounds of the game. Sound has always been an important part of the Thief franchise, and the music and sound design in the new game doesn't disappoint. The lighting is impressive, and I like the whole "body awareness" thing even though I know some people don't. More and more it's starting to "feel" like Thief to me, which is a very, very good thing.

My favorite thing is the fact that I can save anytime I want. All "stealth" games should have this. It lets me try out different ways to move through rooms and take guys out, without out the hassle of restarting from the beginning of a level or some checkpoint I passed a half an hour back. I agree that the sounds are great. All of the spoken dialogue really adds to the game. I've been playing through mostly in third person (though you can switch on the fly whenever you want) just curious as to if most people are playing it this way as well.

I've been playing through mostly in third person (though you can switch on the fly whenever you want) just curious as to if most people are playing it this way as well.

I haven't been playing it in the 3rd person, though occasionally I'll switch to it because it does look pretty cool. The Thief games have traditionally been first-person games, and I find first-person to be more immersive, so I'll probably continue to use it.

I did use third person to kind of cheat once. I was in a tavern and some guy was around the corner. I couldn't tell which way he was facing because I didn't want to put out the torch and I would become exposed if I leaned out in order to look. So I put it in third person and used the extra peripheral vision to watch for him to turn around so I could knock him out.

XBox version runs great. Graphics are awesome with great lighting and great character models. Sounds and voice acting is very well done too. I've had no trouble with the controls yet at all. It even has one of those nifty wheel type things to select weapons like in the new Serious Sam. I like that they don't put alot of crap (like a HUD) on the screen, all you get is a jewel and a compass. It really is a very nicely done game. First Person whores should love it and so should 3rd person stealth whores ( I am both so I really love it).