IGNORED

Quake on consoles

Quake 1 on Saturn was amazing. Great light sourcing and good frame rate. Some architecture different to PC and no DeathMatch.

Quake 1 on N64 had some architecture missing here and there, but had DeathMatch and a much faster frame rate than Saturn version.

I have fond memories of the Saturn version from back in the day, but the bottom line is that the N64 is smoother and easier to play. :sad:

Quake 1 on Saturn was amazing.  Great light sourcing and good frame rate.  Some architecture different to PC and no DeathMatch.

Agreed. Quake 1 for Saturn was pretty good. The sound and graphics were mostly there, save for some minor level design edits made to fit into the Saturn's meager RAM.

Shame that the save system was so poor. Granted, at least there was a save system unlike DOOM for 32X, but the staggered saving forced you to play more cautiously and secrets were harder to come by as a result.

Looks like I'm just agreeing with everyone else...

I haven't played the Quake hacks for the Dreamcast, but Quake 3 Areana is pretty darn good.

Quake 64 and particularly Quake 64 are very impressive... great texturing, and the N64 hardware is put to good use. Get up cose to almost any surface and you won't see any pilixilation/ Use the RAM pak for better weapons effects.

Quake II for the PS1 is surprisingly good... great lighting effects, excellent frame rate... I was impressed.

I was AMAZED by the Saturn port of the original Quake... it's heavy on the browns and greens and the graphics have that standard muddy Saturn quality to them, but the game plays exceptionally well.

The only one I have is the N64 version of Quake 1... it's not bad, but they went overboard with the colored lighting, and the graphic filtering is WAY too high (luckily, there's an option to turn it off).

I've heard the N64 version of Quake 2 is quite good... although pretty much unplayable without an expansion pak.

If you're like me and have a hard time playing on gamepads, try getting "RadQuake" (a port of Quake 1) for the Dreamcast. At least then, you can use the mouse and keyboard (assuming you have them).

--Zero

Quake III Revolution for the PS2 is an astounding conversion by Bullfrog, in terms of technology.

The game balance has been changed however, to favor the plasma gun a bit more than the rocket launcher or rail gun. But the single-player campaign challenges Bullfrog added (allowing you to level-up your character as you progress) is a nice addition. I plays pretty well with a controller too.

If you're looking for the original Quake, there is a recent OpenGL (I think?) version of Quake1 released unofficially for Xbox called QuakeX, but you'll need your Xbox upgraded with a mod-chip to run it. This version also claims to support most PC Quake mods, which would be a huge plus.

I used to have Quake 64 back when I had a Nintendo 64, it real good. I've tried Quake II on the N64 and PSX, both versions are good.

But my favorite is Quake 3 Arena on the Dreamcast. I miss those days playing online while reclining in my recliner with the keyboard and mouse.

• 2 weeks later...

yea, all of lobotomies saturn FPS'es were awesome, Power Slave is still one of my all-time fave fps'es. DC Quake 1 (the recent 'quasihomebrew' one,) is gorgeous and plays great, so its probably my fave console quake outside of the saturn version. I just didnt quite like the n64 version as much (as far as one player, anyway,)

The first version of Quake I ever played was the N64 one, so I may be little biased, but I really enjoy Quake 64. It may not have the sarcastic remarks, but it's a much better N64 FPS then Duke Nukem 64.

I have yet to play Quake III on Dreamcast. There's just not much urgency to run out and buy it, it's pretty common around here (though it's overprice more often than not).

yea' date=' all of lobotomies saturn FPS'es were awesome, Power Slave is still one of my all-time fave fps'es. DC Quake 1 (the recent 'quasihomebrew' one,) is gorgeous and plays great, so its probably my fave console quake outside of the saturn version. I just didnt quite like the n64 version as much (as far as one player, anyway,)[/quote']

I hear ya for Lobotomies saturn titles, Power slave is awesome! For its time the lighting , textures etc showed what the saturn really could do in 3d