IGNORED

Erasing/Programming Eproms on boards ?

Lord-Chaos

Do you know if it is possible to erase and program EPROMs while they are on boards ?

I mean by cutting only a few pins and later resolder these pins.

Because I have a couple of PAL games that use EPROMs - all the Telegames and all the BitCorp cartridges and a few more.

Desoldering, erasing and reprogramming them for NTSC versions or entirely new 4K games is a lot of work, so I'm looking for an easier and faster way.

The games are Bobby is going home,Mission 3000,Space Tunnel,Dancing Plates, Open Sesame, Snail against squirrel, Sea Monster, Phantom Tank by Bitcorp (all 4K , simple PCBs, 2732 EPROMs) and several Telegames 4K and a few 8K games.

Thimo

You can erase the EPROM anytime even while still on board. That is assuming the EPROM has window, I've seen a couple EPROM that doesn't have wndow and are used as OTPROM

As for programming it, it won't be easy. For 2K/4K EPROM, you may need to disconnect the 7404 inverter. Larger EPROM usually have bankswitching circiot that can interfere with the EPROM programmer. At worst, you'd need to disconnect all the address lines.

Wouldn't it be easier to desolder and remove the EPROM completely? You can then install a socket for quick EPROM swap later.

You can erase the EPROM anytime even while still on board.  That is assuming the EPROM has window, I've seen a couple EPROM that doesn't have wndow and are used as OTPROM

As for programming it, it won't be easy.  For 2K/4K EPROM, you may need to disconnect the 7404 inverter.  Larger EPROM usually have bankswitching circiot that can interfere with the EPROM programmer.  At worst, you'd need to disconnect all the address lines.

Wouldn't it be easier to desolder and remove the EPROM completely?  You can then install a socket for quick EPROM swap later.

Ok,

I already desoldered some EPROMs, they have windows an can be erased by UV light, but it's a lot of work.Especially if you have dozens of cartridges.

There are several different boards :

The picture shows one 8K Telegames board to the left , used in Kung Fu Superkicks, Quest for Quintana Roo and Bump 'n' Jump.These are a little bit more complicated than the 4K boards, and because of a design problem, these carts won't fit into old 6-switchers (the plastic pieces cannot open the dust cover, however, the boards without cases fit).

The board to the right is a 4K Telegames board.All 4K Telegames carts use these board : International Soccer,Astroblast,Football or Super Challenge Baseball,Universal Chaos,Deadly Discs ... (opened a few carts, all have the same boards inside).

The EPROM chips always have windows, although they are from different manufacturers.

pcs5.jpg

There are other boards, too :

BitCorp/Puzzy Bit 4K boards look different.

SALU/Activision 16k boards used for Ghostbusters 2, Commando, Pick 'n' Pile, River Raid 2.They usually used SALU ROM boards, but a few copies have EPROM carts inside.

Unfortunately, Ghostbusters 2 has a bug in this version.

More Pictures will follow.

Thimo