IGNORED

Wolfenstein

neotokeo2001

Oh forgot to mention one important change in the last image I posted. In the big rooms you can use the doorways to completed rooms to hide from the patroling guards. I know on some of them it doesn't look like it, but if you are pressed up agains the door the guard will not catch you.

I was just going to come post about that! I was so excited to see a new binary, I didn't bother to read the update before I went and played! :-D

I'm loving this version! I'm excited to see what else you have in store! :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the positive feedback. For those who have played it I have a couple questions:

1. Is the number of bullets you get when you pickup/reload the gun too many, too few, or just right?

2. Has anyone beaten it? Is the overall game too easy or too hard?

3. On the highest difficulty, do the SS Guards appear to chase you out of a room too soon?

Thanks,

It may be too late, but any chance of adding sound for the Atari Voice Synth.  Maybe it could blert our some German words when you get close  to the enemy.  

I am really hoping for enough carts with Atari Voice Synth compatibility to rationalize purchasing one.

I thought about this, but I am running so low on free ROM (6 bytes) and free RAM (1 byte). There just isn't room unless I do something like give up the castle on the title screen to free up space. It would a be nice feature if there was space since the orignal 8-bit version had speech.

Scott,

There is a minor problem with the new Crushers. Because of the limitations of the Venture collision detection engine, The bottom crusher wall is assumed to be 8 pixels wide even if not all 8 pixels are set. So you get that condition of the player dying without touching the object.

How about this shape?

XXXXXXXX

XXXX  

XXXXXX

XX

XX

XXXXXX

XXXX

XXXXXX

XX

XX

XXXXXX

XXXX

XXXXXXXX

Or something similar so that the top and bottom of the crusher are filled for all 8 pixels.

Also, If you feel the Crushers move too fast you can slow them down byt changing the following bytes:

$0139  currently %10110110 change to %10110101 to slow top crusher

$013A  currently %11010110 change to %11010101 to slow left crusher

$013C  currently %11100110 change to %11100101 to slow right crusher

$013D  currently %01110110 change to %01110101 to slow bottom crusher

Regards,

Scott,

There is a minor problem with the new Crushers. Because of the limitations of the Venture collision detection engine, The bottom crusher wall is assumed to be 8 pixels wide even if not all 8 pixels are set. So you get that condition of the player dying without touching the object.

How about this shape?

XXXXXXXX

XXXX  

XXXXXX

XX

XX

XXXXXX

XXXX

XXXXXX

XX

XX

XXXXXX

XXXX

XXXXXXXX

Or something similar so that the top and bottom of the crusher are filled for all 8 pixels.

Also, If you feel the Crushers move too fast you can slow them down byt changing the following bytes:

Regards,

Scott,

How about this shape?

XXXXXXXX

XXXX  

XXXXXX

XX

XX

XXXXXX

XXXX

XXXXXX

XX

XX

XXXXXX

XXXX

XXXXXXXX

Regards,

For posterity, here is a list of all the things we changed from Venture (ithink):

- All graphics changed for monsters, maps, items and rooms.

- All sound FX altered. The single arrow sound FX was split into 2 for the knife and gun to sound different.

- The scoring system was changed so you can score points in a room by killing monsters before picking up the item.

- Touching a corpse no longer hurts the player.

- The monster corpses are animated to fade away.

- In the big rooms the monsters (now SS guards) patrol in predictable patterns rather than semi-randomly as the monsters in zoomed rooms still do.

- The game ends after completing 8 levels of play, and shows a animated victory screen.

- There is a title screen.

- The movement pattern of the large hall monsters (SS guards entering a room) is changed so that gven room to manuver the player may possibly get past the SS guard to the exit.

- the moving wall room is altered so that the player MUST cross the path of at least 2 walls (or one wall twice) to complete the room. Plus random moving walls are speeded up in later levels.

- For the first 2 levels all room layouts, monsters and items are the same every time you play. For the remaining 3 pairs of levels however, the room position, room mirroring/non-mirroring, monsters and monster starting positions are randomized. The 8 base rooms for each pair of levels are rotated randomly between the next two levels so the player will not know what a room looks like until they get in it. I believe there are 4 * 4 * 7 * 2 = 224 possible room/monster configurations.

- The unlimited arrows weapon for the player is replaced by a gun long range but limited ammo, and a knife with short range but unlimited use.

- The score display was altered. The 2 permanent trailing zeros were removed from the score display and recycled as an active weapon icon and ammo indicator bar.

- The player starts with 4 extra lives not 3.

- Some items do more than award points. The gun and ammo give the player the gun weapon. The player starts with only the knife. The medkit restores one life up to a maximum of 4 in reserve.

- There is an additional hidden/secret level in the game. You will know if you find it. It is very different in appearance from all other levels in the game.

- If you finish the entire game including the secret level, then you get to experience a slighty altered title screen in place of the victory screen.

- Each level of the castle has its own wall color rather than recycling the pink and blue wall colors over and over.

I think that is all the visible changes. There were a number of changes made "under the hood" so to speak to free up ROM space. Graphics were packed more tightly together, code was optimized to free up bytes, etc.

Regards,

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW. :lust: my new fav game :D hahahahah. LOL. That is soooo cool. I would never think of that. I WANT IT. lol :D :D. And one thing what are those controllers in the first pic they have like a rectangle shape and 2 fire buttons??? I have never seen them. :? :?

Edited by MrAtari2600

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW. :lust: my new fav game :D hahahahah. LOL. That is soooo cool. I would never think of that. I WANT IT. lol :D  :D. And one thing what are those controllers in the first pic they have like a rectangle shape and 2 fire buttons??? I have never seen them. :?  :?

909837[/snapback]

Those are Atari 7800 controllers...

http://www.atariage.com/controller_page.ht...ControllerID=24