IGNORED

MY LAST REVIEW!!! GLORY!!!

Cousin Vinnie

Well heck folks, here ya go:

Tomcat F-14 Flight Simulator Review

www.flipsiderunner.com/7800/tomcatr.html

I know this review isn't that great because I started preaching in it, but tell me what you guys think of the new look of the reviews with the rankings and awards & junk.

Thanks alot.

Cousin Vinnie

What game is the best flight simulator for the Atari 7800?  

Ace of Aces  

F-18 Hornet  

Super Huey UH-IX  

Tomcat F:14  

They all stink    

lol i loved it when i voted and %50 said they all stink

i voted for Ace of Aces, its the only one i could play for a long period of time

Well heck folks, here ya go:

Tomcat F-14 Flight Simulator Review

www.flipsiderunner.com/7800/tomcatr.html

I know this review isn't that great because I started preaching in it, but tell me what you guys think of the new look of the reviews with the rankings and awards & junk.

Thanks alot.

Cousin Vinnie

I, for one, liked the rankings and awards & junk. The review was dead-on, too. The only thing worse than the flight simulator library for the 7800 is the sports library. Stinkers, stinkers.

I, for one, liked the rankings and awards & junk. The review was dead-on, too. The only thing worse than the flight simulator library for the 7800 is the sports library. Stinkers, stinkers

LOL!

I think FLIGHT SIMULATORS in general don't mix with consoles ... too complicated, too slow, too little fun. I was always surprised that there were so many on the 7800 - especially given its small libary.

Yeah, the sports lineup sucks. But I had more fun with BASKETBRAWL than all the flight simulators put together. The Absolute Flight Simulators at least LOOKED good, though.

I voted for F-18 Hornet.  I thought that game was great!  It really surprised me how good it was back in the day.  F-14 was more arcadey to me, F-18 was hard and I almost finished it once, lol.

Alright, I just read the review, maybe F-14 wasn't the game I played (which I called "more arcadey").... Anyway, I apologize! :)

I think FLIGHT SIMULATORS in general don't mix with consoles ... too complicated, too slow, too little fun. I was always surprised that there were so many on the 7800 - especially given its small libary.

You know! I never thought about that but you're totally right! What the hell is with all these simulators for the 7800?? Ace of Aces, Super Huey, F-14, F-18... some of them were pretty bad.. F-18 took me forever to figure out. Basically all you do is fly from point A to point B and that's it.. You could, however, depending on your style, create pretty cool flying situations... like diving under bridges, flying through tunnels, narrowly flying in between two walls, and blasting bridges and tanks away... Anyway, that part was pretty cool.... :)

I actually prefer F-14 the most. It was easy for me to play back in the day. I also remember scoring the Top Gun rank more than once back then. Shortly afterward...my cart also died. At any rate I think the most difficult has to be Ace of Aces. So many different missions..and the controls are very confusing to use like changing the views and such. F-18 wasn't bad..considering it is using actual rastered Polys...but...the flight mechanics are so bad that it feels more like your playing a primitive space sim shooter like Star Voyager.

I used to create challenges in F-18 like landing on the islands...or land and then blow up the tanks since they don't really shoot at you and such.

Also you will never score ACE in F-18 unless you actually fly under the gateway entrance on the last mission with the bombing run. I believe it was the last mission that had that...

That was hard..because you had to fly under the arch of the entrance...and then climb straight up..and release the bomb without killing yourself in the process..

If you released too early..you would blown up in the explosion..if you released it too late...you missed the HQ building you were trying to take out. And you only got one bomb to do it with.

F-18 was okay graphically for its time. And I did like the variety...but the terrain is way too dull and the flight mechanics..just don't feel like flight. More like driving an 76 Buick Le Sabre in the air...

I actually prefer F-14 the most. It was easy for me to play back in the day. I also remember scoring the Top Gun rank more than once back then. Shortly afterward...my cart also died. At any rate I think the most difficult has to be Ace of Aces. So many different missions..and the controls are very confusing to use like changing the views and such. F-18 wasn't bad..considering it is using actual rastered Polys...but...the flight mechanics are so bad that it feels more like your playing a primitive space sim shooter like Star Voyager.

I used to create challenges in F-18 like landing on the islands...or land and then blow up the tanks since they don't really shoot at you and such.

Yeah man totally! I never played F-14 too much but the mechanics were far superior I remember that much.. more like you're actually flying as the screen tilted with your movement... F-18 never did that.. it was a weird tank-like movement...

But F-18 was fun for me only because of the "freedom," if you will of the terrain.. You could play one of the same 4 missions over and over again yet do something different each time.. Like you were saying, landing different spots, blowing this and that up, etc.. :)

Funny thing you say about the cart dying.. mine did too! More than one copy!! Were Absolute carts cheaply made or something?

Most of the Absolute carts were cheaply made...and also Eprom based. Most of the Absolute carts that have died in the wild...were due to bad quality Eproms being used I believe.

Rampage, Double Dragon, F-18, F-14 and Super Skateboarding are almost always Eprom carts. I think all of those are Eprom on mine. Luckily only F-14 ever gave me any problems. But I have aquired another since then and it still works far as I know...

I also found out about 10 years after putting my 7800 into the closet that my f-14 may not have been a dead cart. I found out that due to all the 7800 lovin I was giving to my 7800 at the time, that the contacts on the cart slot of the 7800 itself...were pretty worn out. I discovered that most of my Activision based 2600 games and many of the other 3rd party carts wouldn't work anymore. I cleaned up the 7800, reformed the cart slot pins...and so far...it has been going great!

I am still miffed about that first F-14 cart though. I was so ticked I tossed the cart in the trash...and the box and all docs with it. I didn't see a need in keeping something that didn't work. However, my parents put some small amount of sense into me..and so I ended up taking it all back to Toys R Us where I got it..and picked up F-18 in its stead. I still have that one...