IGNORED

Seen my 'ol Donkey Kong & Major Havoc 2600 mockups?

Godzilla

For what little it's worth, I could see Major Havoc done on the 2600 (or at least the inside-base bits) using a variation of the kernel for Thrust.

From a purely graphical standpoint, Coleco DK is pretty decent, and becomes more arcade-close with some judicious hacking. The main flaws are, as I see it, NOT a lack of multicolored bits, but a bigger than 4K size to allow for more than two screens, and more complex sprite behavior, so you might have to deal with more than one barrel or fireball at a time.

'tis far from a modified screen shot. I hand built those images, pixel by pixel, using 2600 accurate playfield and player/missle elements, even used 2600 accurate # of scanlines for each picture, and deliberatly severly limit the number of colors per scan line, in the original posts this came from, all that is detailed. Also, lost monkey threw a rom together. And it isn't trolling, it's inspiration. and, yes, after seeing what has been with the 2600 post-death, I do believe anything is possible. even dragon's lair (that's another post, tho. look it up. :-) )

'tis far from a modified screen shot. I hand built those images, pixel by pixel, using 2600 accurate playfield and player/missle elements, even used 2600 accurate # of scanlines for each picture

That may be what you meant to do, but it's not what you ended up with. For one thing, if the number of scanlines was correct the images would have been 640x400, not 640x480.

A reminder, folks. The reason Godzilla's mockups look so k-rad aws0me d00d is because he basically ignored the technical limitations of the 2600's display hardware. Such displays would be impossible to recreate in any sort of playable form on a real 2600. An actual best-case 2600 Donkey Kong remake would probably look more like this (and even this is pushing it):

2600dkfakebig.png

623666[/snapback]

Can you do something better?

When you come here and show more than your yada yada,ill give you some

credit....and ill say"yes...i was wrong about..that......robot face?"

Now Manuel,or other moderators......My delete process will start...........

Edited by fabventure2600

'tis far from a modified screen shot. I hand built those images, pixel by pixel, using 2600 accurate playfield and player/missle elements, even used 2600 accurate # of scanlines for each picture, and deliberatly severly limit the number of colors per scan line, in the original posts this came from, all that is detailed.

1009741[/snapback]

The number of colors per scan line is not a meaningful measure of whether a given screen can be produced. I could draw mockups with two colors per scan line that would be completely impossible without severe flicker, while I could draw some with 17 solid colors per scan line that would be entirely possible (even without flicker, venetian blinds, or anything). To be sure, a 17-color one wouldn't look like much of a game, but it would show that scanline color counts don't really mean much.

Can you  do something better?

Ummm... I DID do something better. You quoted it in your post.

Seriously man, do you have some sort of brain damage or something? Not being a native English speaker only explains so much.

1010236[/snapback]

First of all my litlle"Thing"..IF i have a Brain Damage,i will put a Red Robot Avatar and watch Monty Python movies...and say"fabventure´s opinions do not represent the another guy´s opinions.....

Second:I Know that you are my fan....ha ha ha ha......

Third:are you a boy or a girl?.....

if you are a girl...give me a call....ha ha ha ha .....

Edited by fabventure2600

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?s...&hl=donkey+kong

as you yourself noted in the original post, they are 240 scanlines. I made the pixels double-fat so that the images didn't look ridiculous on a pc (which is a non-interlaced display,) on a television, they would look just as they do in my images.

• 5 years later...