IGNORED

Help please...Just replaced NES pin connector(still blinks?)

Hey...If anyone could give me some info. I'd appreciate it. I just replaced the pin connector in my old NES, the TV. screen stays solid black but the power light just does the old steady blink. COuld there be other problems going on inside? Thanks...

Hey...If anyone could give me some info. I'd appreciate it.  I just replaced the pin connector in my old NES, the TV. screen stays solid black but the power light just does the old steady blink.  COuld there be other problems going on inside?  Thanks...

Clean the games really good. Open them and use a pink pencil eraser on the contacts. Don't rub hard, just a little pressure does alot.

Thanks for the info. Jersey! Got another :?: for ya now. I was just messing around with a Top loader I just recently acquired. Some games play fine in it but most just give a blank white screen. Do you think opening those carts up would do the trick? Thanks again...I appreciate it!

Yes, I have the security bit, but looking at the circuit boards...most look like the gold coating is almost gone. I'm guessing that is not good? The carts were horribly dirty, coated with black gunk. I am going to try a few to see what happens. Thanks all!

Thanks for the info. Jersey!  Got another  :?:  for ya now.  I was just messing around with a Top loader I just recently acquired.  Some games play fine in it but most just give a blank white screen.  Do you think opening those carts up would do the trick?  Thanks again...I appreciate it!

The carts are probably dirty. If 1 game works then you can assume the console works fine. Definately buy a 3.8 mm bit on E-Bay to open the carts. Some of the earlier NES use a small philips screwdriver but most use the 3.8 mm bit. The bit is well worth the money.

Hey Jersey...It worked, I can now play Mike Tyson's Punchout once again! Thanks very much!

New problem though---The cart has to be perfectly in the middle of the top loader...any deviation foward or backward and the screen scrambles. Any info. or ideas for this problem?

Thanks again, All!

The carts are probably dirty. If 1 game works then you can assume the console works fine. Definately buy a 3.8 mm bit on E-Bay to open the carts. Some of the earlier NES use a small philips screwdriver but most use the 3.8 mm bit. The bit is well worth the money.

Why would you need to take the carts apart to clean them? I've never heard this before. I just scrub the connectors down with alcohol and Qtips..

Did you clean the cart connector in your top loading NES?  If it's dirty, it can become touchy and not work with some games.

How would you go about cleaning the cart connector without damaging it? If you don't mind me asking...Thanks!

Why would you need to take the carts apart to clean them? I've never heard this before. I just scrub the connectors down with alcohol and Qtips..

Some games are just too dirty for the Q-Tip method. You can't put enough pressure with that little Q-Tip. :) I find that if you open the carts and clean them with the pencil eraser, they will stay clean for alot longer.

Did you clean the cart connector in your top loading NES?  If it's dirty, it can become touchy and not work with some games.

How would you go about cleaning the cart connector without damaging it? If you don't mind me asking...Thanks!

You can buy a system cleaner on E-Bay. It looks like a game cart and you just insert it and take it a few times, that ususally enough to clean the system.

Some games are just too dirty for the Q-Tip method. You can't put enough pressure with that little Q-Tip. :) I find that if you open the carts and clean them with the pencil eraser, they will stay clean for alot longer.

Brings up another point I've been wondering about. Will the games ever really get dirty again? I mean I assumed that the dirt was purely from neglect of the previous owner. Once I clean my games, they get very well taken care of, do you think they need to be cleaned on an ongoing basis?

Brings up another point I've been wondering about. Will the games ever really get dirty again? I mean I assumed that the dirt was purely from neglect of the previous owner. Once I clean my games' date=' they get very well taken care of, do you think they need to be cleaned on an ongoing basis?[/quote']

If you clean the games real well and clean the system periodically, you should be OK. The contacts on the carts will get oxydation after a while. If I have a game sit for a while without playing it, I usually do the Q-Tip & alcohol thing before playing it. That way you won't transfer any oxydation to the system connector. I installed a new 72 pin connector in my NES about 6 or 7 years ago and it still works great. Hope this helps.

Hey...If anyone could give me some info. I'd appreciate it. I just replaced the pin connector in my old NES' date=' the TV. screen stays solid black but the power light just does the old steady blink. COuld there be other problems going on inside? Thanks...[/quote']

Clean the games really good. Open them and use a pink pencil eraser on the contacts. Don't rub hard' date=' just a little pressure does alot.[/quote']

Thanks Jersey...Just to let you know...all carts and system AOK now...Thanks again!!!

For a nice explanation of what oxidation is and how it relates to your carts check this previous post from PitfallHarry.

Ah good 'ol Pitfall Harry. Though now I'm paranoid. I'm going to lose sleep thinking about my poor copy of River City Ransom oxidizing away

clean the system periodically

How do I do this? And do I really need to? My current 72 pin is only about 6 months old. Plus I have a back-up practically new NES just in case. But I'm still worried sick now...