IGNORED

should i get a virtual boy?

my friend wants to sell me his virtual boy with mario tennnis for $30.this sounds like a good price compared to the ones on ebay. i always thought the virtual boy was a cool idea and remember playing one in toys r us though i've never owned one. it would also complete my nintendo collection. however i am skeptical because many people hate this system. give me your opinions on whether i should buy it or not?

This topic sounds awfully familiar... didn't someone come in here with pretty much the same question a few months ago?

Anyways, the Virtual Boy has received a lot of undue criticism in my opinion. The 3D effect is very interesting, and although there aren't a lot of games for it, I think it's easily worth trying out. If you don't know whether you'll like it or not, ask him if you can try it out first (Not just a game or two, but borrow it for a week or so). Mario Tennis is a little simple, but it'll give you a good idea of what to expect from the system.

However, I'd try offering him $20 or $25 first.

--Zero

prepare for a headache if you play it!!!! :D

As long as you have it focused properly, you should never get a headache from it. If you are getting headaches, try fidding with the dials some more.

--Zero

You'll play it twice and put it in your closet forever. Good for a collector's piece or a converation piece' date=' but bad for actual playing due to small number of games and the headache you'll get.[/quote']

Pretty much what I wrote.

There are better things to spend $30 on. Just think of all those happy homeless people your $30 would be feeding if you were to donate it to the local soup kitchen! :thumbsup: :)

I love my VB.

Headaches are a valid problem. The VB's refresh rate is a tad on the low side, which when combined with a general tendancy to jack up the brightness and depth settings, has a tendancy to give some pretty nasty headaches.

Turn down the brightness. Not so dim that you ahve trouble making things out, but not too bright either.

And in games that allow you, adjust the depth effect to a level that doesn't feel ... well, it's kind of hard to describe, but you can sort of feel it when it's jacked up too high. This one's easier to fix because of that.

Honestly, don't bother.

Save the $30 or donate it to charity.  

The VB is a novelty at best that you'll probably put into storage after a few uses.

I disagree. I think it is real cool and fun to play.

Also if you dont care for it to much It is always cool to display in your game room and part of Video game History. :)

It is kinda rare now, and would make a great conversation peice. 30 seems resonable. I think you would like it, except you do get hedaches, and the red vector graphics seem dull after a while/
Red Alarm is the only game with imitation vectors.

I highly reccomend the virtual boy. I have the complete us library, and I can honestly say there is not a stinker in the bunch. They range from at least good to really awesome, depending on your tastes. Red Alarm was worth the price of the system AND the game at original retail for me. And I never felt gipped to this day :-)