IGNORED

Game Genie Thing was a joke

Cousin Vinnie

I wonder if one could be done.  Didn't someone make something similar for the 2600 (Cheata?)?  I don't know exactly how the NES version worked but I can't see why the technology wouldn't work on the 7800.

Tempest

From what I remember, game genie codes basically behaved as direct hacks on a game's rom. The code basically held the address of where in the rom was to be changed and what it was changed to. With this, it would certainly be possible to write a game genie for the 7800 or 2600 or 5200, etc. The question would be who wants to try to do it. ;)

--

Mord

The theory behind Game Genie devices are quite easy to understand. It's figuring out how to properly hack a game that is not going to be easy.

The easiest way of implementing Game Genie type device would be a PAL chip programmed to watch certain address and send out pre-programmed data. You may need to use a tri-state buffer to isolate data from the cart ROM so it wouldn't interfere with the output of the PAL chip.

the cheeta was done by bob colbert iirc' date=' and worked with the supercharger, and was indeed a game genie style system. I wish it had taken off more.[/quote']

How do you mean "taken off more"? The codes are easily made once you know the memory location to change. Changing $F760 to 00 in Space Invaders gives you double-shots for example...so the code would be

(i.e. location $F760 additional bytes).