IGNORED

Atari cart fonts

Skatepunk60

quote:

Originally posted by skatepunk60:

Ihave the border rhindle the red sent me (thanks BTW) but i dont have the fonts they used on the atari carts all i got is the atari symbol font please help

There are a lot of labels variations so I'm not really sure what font specifically you are asking about. I'm working on a mock label for Klax(7800)game and I found the closest matches to the fonts atari used were the ARIAL fonts. I used the 2600 Klax cart to match up the fonts. The ATARI logo was of course the ATARIAN font. It will mostly be trial and error though to find the right font style and size. Hope this helps.

BTW, if you have Photoshop and a scroll-wheel on your mouse you can match up fonts pretty easily. You may also be able to scroll through fonts using other photo editing software.

I actually was just using the Atari look-a-like font "SF Atarian System". I can send you a copy if you want just email me. It has 2 fonts, regular and condensed. I wouldn't say it's a great font as far as looks go but its the closet to atari I have found so far. There also isn't any lower case letters in the font so you can't emulate many of the older 2600 carts.

Hello, I have been researching Atari label fonts for some time now and have figured out the absolute exact matches that are available today. You may have seen my work on the Activision Kabobber label, and the SwordQuest Airworld label.

Like the others were saying, SF Atarian is fine for the word "Atari", and there is a really good Illustrator file of the Atari Fuji logo floating around the net.

The fonts are, of course, different, depending on which label variation you're using. In the old days, they didn't use the computers for layout, they used phototypesetters to do the fonts. The digital versions we have today are really, really, really similar, but still just a wee bit different. That's just the way it's going to be for now, I guess... until I decide to try my hand at modifying them in Fontographer.

The first and second label variations use Bauhaus (Medium, for the most part) for pretty much all of the text.

The Silver variants use Eras for the text in the upper left corner, where it says, "VIDEO GAME CARTRIDGE

ATARI® 2600™ VCS ™". The word Atari is just in SF Atarian (for now) and the number "2600" or "5200" is in Avant Garde. The trick on that is that the zeros are not the number zero, they are the capital letter "O". The copyright text at the bottom is in Eras again. If you don't have Eras, I found that using Frutiger, stretched out kind of wide, maybe around 125%, works as a good subsititue. That is what I used on my early labels, until I finally, FINALLY figured out it was Eras. Also, on some silver variants, the name of the game is just typed in a red band, rather than in some artistically drawn fashion. That font is Eras again.

For the red boxes, the game system number is Futura Extra Black Condensed. The part that reads, "VIDEO GAME

CARTRIDGE" is in regular old Helvetica Bold. The logo is typically hand drawn, or done in some illustrative way, rather than just being typed in.

Activision labels pretty much just use variations of Futura (bold or black for the game title).

Well, I suppose I shouldn't have given away all of my secrets; but, what the hey! Enjoy and I look forward to seeing what you create. I hope this information helps you out.

http://homepage.mac.com/christopherdrum