IGNORED

Low-cost/low-demand collecting

I have enjoyed collecting for the TRS-80. The games are actually pretty hard to get even on Ebay because they are not auctioned off that often and I am trying for boxed games, so it makes it more of a challenge. The games are cheap, so it a more a matter of waiting to see games or asking around then spending a lot of money. It is a true low demand system. Are there any other systems like the CoCo with a good size library, true classic games, and low-demand prices? I'm thinking that the VIC-20 may be my best bet, but how about the TI-99? These systems had better games than the CoCo and will command higher prices, but how expensive is collecting for these systems? Any other low-cost collecting ideas?

I have enjoyed collecting for the TRS-80. The games are actually pretty hard to get even on Ebay because they are not auctioned off that often and I am trying for boxed games' date=' so it makes it more of a challenge. The games are cheap, so it a more a matter of waiting to see games or asking around then spending a lot of money. It is a true low demand system. Are there any other systems like the CoCo with a good size library, true classic games, and low-demand prices? I'm thinking that the VIC-20 may be my best bet, but how about the TI-99? These systems had better games than the CoCo and will command higher prices, but how expensive is collecting for these systems? Any other low-cost collecting ideas?[/quote']

Just about any classic computers are both cheap to buy and pick up games for. I've had some success with the old Apple //e and found collecting for a Commodore 64 easy, too. The Commodore is preferable as you can get a bunch of cartridges for it, whereas disks for an Apple tend to be fragile. Similarly, it seems Atari computers are easy to collect for, as well.

Ah, I miss my old CoCo. That was the first computer I had and she was an absolute gem.

low-cost/low-demand

the Sega Genesis

save for a few RPGs' date=' genesis games are pretty cheap, and come in nice plastic collectable cases :)[/quote']

Yep. I love collecting for the Genesis. Costs next to nothing for almost everything.

Three systems come to mind in terms of low demand that I didn't see anyone else post about yet:

Astrocade--for some reason, demand for this sleeper system has dropped off recently

Arcadia 2001--goes by several different names. Games for this system are generally hard to find, but can be had for a relatively good price despite the rarity.

Odyssey2--the only game I paid more than $10 for was Power Lords which I was able to eventually find boxed for $75.00. The Non-US releases are harder to find, but also attainable.

I second that O2! Very good system and games. You can get almost everything for dirt. Intellivision is good but some of the complete games and accesories get very expensive...

TI-99 is a real piece of crap. It isn't worth messing with at all.

The Vic 20 could get expensive if you're looking to get everything but most of the good games can be had for $5 or less. Don't expect to find them complete though.

Thanks for the great posts. I never thought about the Arcadia, but that is a system to look into - hmmm.

Matt - Do you really not like the TI? It seems like the games are similar to Intellivision era, but maybe not quite Colecovision and that many have good gameplay. It has fans I know, but they may all just be nostalgic ones that had the system as a kid (also the MBX system is expensive).

Anthony - I have several extra CoCo carts and boxes and manuals. Let me wait until until I get a nice box of extras and then I will sell them cheap to you.

Take care,

RG

My first computer was a Coco; I got it in Spring 1982 for about Cdn$550!

If memory serves, the cartridges just came in generic grey boxes; there was a space for the manual to be displayed (which had the title and artwork).

As for sytems with low price and demand, does that not also equate with low supply? If something was unpopular back in the day, fewer people will be nostalgic for it now. By definition, however, there will be a more limited supply.

For example, when I first started collecting video games (ca. 1990), I passed on an O2 with 3 cartridges. I have never seen any O2 games or consoles in the wild since. Similarly, I have never seen an Arcadia/Leisurevision or an Atsrocade.

In contrast, almost every thrift shop I have been to has literal piles of Genesis consoles (no games, however) and most places have of stacks of NES consoles.

I have enjoyed collecting for the TRS-80. The games are actually pretty hard to get even on Ebay because they are not auctioned off that often and I am trying for boxed games, so it makes it more of a challenge. The games are cheap, so it a more a matter of waiting to see games or asking around then spending a lot of money. It is a true low demand system. Are there any other systems like the CoCo with a good size library, true classic games, and low-demand prices? I'm thinking that the VIC-20 may be my best bet, but how about the TI-99? These systems had better games than the CoCo and will command higher prices, but how expensive is collecting for these systems? Any other low-cost collecting ideas?

The Vis games are rare, but no one wants them. You can get em for like 5 bucks or less if you look around.

I picked up an Odyssey 2 a couple years ago with about 15 + carts. I traded the whole lot to EB for store credit (I personally hate the O2) but they still have most of the games to this day, 2 years later for $5 a cart.

I'm impressed they actually took them off your hands. I don't know of any EB anywhere near me that has enything pre-NES.

As for sytems with low price and demand, does that not also equate with low supply? If something was unpopular back in the day, fewer people will be nostalgic for it now.

This isn't always true. For example, the Vectrex was not all that popular and it failed quickly, but now it is highly desired. It really depends on gameplay, uniqueness, nostalgia, etc. In general though, consoles are more collectable than classic computers; however, what did that Vic-20 tape recently go for? - $1,000+ I think!

I picked up an Odyssey 2 a couple years ago with about 15 + carts. I traded the whole lot to EB for store credit (I personally hate the O2) but they still have most of the games to this day, 2 years later for $5 a cart.

Oh my God! Are in Niagara Falls? I assumed Toronto like me, but I went to the Falls a couple weeks back to visit family and popped into EB and they had tonnes of this stuff.

Oh my God! Are in Niagara Falls? I assumed Toronto like me, but I went to the Falls a couple weeks back to visit family and popped into EB and they had tonnes of this stuff.

Nope, Windsor. There's only one EB and its in our Devonshire mall, the biggest mall in our fair city of roses.