IGNORED

Galaxian Sucks.

To all who like this game- How?

the gameplay is like walking in the middle of the freeway, throwing rocks at cars , facing the front of the cars, while using a walker. How is this fun? the grapics are nice, sounds are nice, but, the laser sucks ! Ah, Nothing like facing a well trained army with a laser gun that might fire 50 feet a second, if it wants to. and good luck getting out of the way. it takes a while to move.

Maybe I'm just not good at it. But I don't like it.

Could it just be that your playing a bad version of Galaxian? What version are you playing, a home port or MAME? I like Galaxian better than Galaga. I'm sure part of it is that I'm totally burnt out on Galaga. I see original Galaga machines everywhere I go, all the time, and now with the new Galaga/Ms.Pac repros it's in even more places. You hardly ever see a Galaxian machine. Galaxian has much cooler sound effects, a much cooler cab and artwork and it's more laid back fun than frantic action. Galaga arcade pisses me off how once you reach a certain level, they kamikazee right into you from above and below and when you lose the twin-ships guns your game is basically over.

I LOVE Galaxian, and have never, ever liked Galaga. No matter what port of it I'm playing, I really like how Galaxian looks and plays. I play it constantly in MAME and on my Colecovision, and hope one day to own my own upright to put beside my Ms. Pac-Man and Kangaroo :)

I like the 2600 version of galaxian, but never liked the 5200/8bit or mame very much.

I am sure all of you know this, but the trick to getting the big scores in galaxian is hitting all the guys when they are flying instaid of just sitting there. When I first started playing it I just sat there and picked off the enemies while they sat at the top (not very fun), but then on the 2600 version I found that just shooting them in while they were flying gained almost double the points.

Arcade Galaxian is one of the best shoot em ups ever. It just is. It's still brilliant, even today. It's simple, extremely addictive, very challenging and lots of fun.

I'll probably be flogged for this but I like it better than Galaga. There are several things I don't like about Galaga. The attack patterns are rubbish and too skittish, as opposed to the smoothness of Galaxian. Also, when you've got two ships, if one bullet hits an enemy the other bullet just disappears instead of carrying on and hitting something else. That's unforgiveable as far as I'm concerned.

Just one opinion in a sea of millions....

I played a lot of Galaxian as a kid, since the pizza joint up the street had it, but to me, the day Galaga came out there was no point in ever playing Galaxian again. I understand how Galaxian fans feel, though, because I think most people feel that the day Ms. Pac-Man was released Pac-Man became obsolete, and to this day I still like Pac-Man better.

Oddly enough, when further Namco shooter iterations appeared like Gaplus, Xevious and Galaga '88, while I enjoyed them (well, not Xevious) they didn't obsolete Galaga the way it replaced Galaxian.

I have always liked Galaxian because you have only one ship and the patterns of the enemies don't greatly change -- it just gets more and more intense. I have played the Colecovision version of this game to death, and it is one of the few games in MAME that I will consistantly fire up. Besides Ms. Pac-Man, it probably is my second favorite arcade video ever, and one that I know I will have to own at some point in the near future!

Galaga on the other hand doesn't do it for me because it isn't as predictable. I like the learning curve on Galaxian, and I just don't get the same one from Galaga...

It's a step up from Space Invaders.

Man you guys just don't know what the heck you're talking about. Space Invaders being one of the first video games to cause gameplay addiction that lasted for over a year or two. When Galaxian came around, everyone screamed "ooh! Color!" and they were right! It was fresh and new and we all got into it and played it. However, that infatuation was much more short lived.. it just didn't have the staying power and addictiveness that Space Invaders had. Why? It's easy!

Basically, Galaxian was just a straight ahead shooter. You moved left and right, you shot, you avoided shots. Sure it was the same in Space Invaders but there was so much more depth in Space Invaders' little toe than Galaxian had in the entire machine. S.I. had various regional strategies and methods. You had tricks like the Rainbow, the shot counting, the extra man tricks, the wall of death.. various bugs to exploit. It was one of the first where word or mouth would spread "secrets", strategies, and easter eggs about a popular videogame adding to it's mystique. However, Galaxian had none of that... there was nothing to the game but straight ahead dodging and shooting. :roll:

That's why Galaxian, although we were all enamoured with it at first.. the infatuation didn't last long. And it wasn't more than a couple of months into it where you started seeing all those operator hacks intended to make it more interesting (like the ones where the entire phalanx of blue aliens would break down and attack in a single line, etc.). The Space Invaders craze lasted much longer and that's because there is just so much more to SI than Galaxian.

But then of course, by the end of Galaxian's reign we had a whole new onslaught of cool new games (and Puckman just around the corner). It wasn't long before Galaxian was almost always the forgotten machine. It's still notable for it's use of Color though.. those of you who don't remember when Video games were primarily B&W probably can't really appreciate that.. but it did look great :) And of course GALAXIAN PART 2 (aka Galaga) would soon come out and flex it's muscles so there ya go. it all came around anyway. :P

I still play Galaxian regularly. I rarely play Space Invaders. I rarely play Galaga either. Galaxian was the first arcade game I fell in love with, and it's a love that's lasted 25 years so far. To me, it's much more enjoyable than either Space Invaders or Galaga.

I had Galaxian for the Atari 400 growing up and while I played it, I never really cared for it. I found it too slow paced, and by the time it started picking up I was too bored to keep playing. Not a bad game, but not a great game either.

Tempest