IGNORED

Universal Dragrace Prototype

Curt Vendel

Hi everyone,

As promised, I am freely releasing the image of the Universal Dragrace Prototype, for me info, check out the auction on bidiots.com where I won this game:

Bidiots.com Universal Proto Auction

Here is the ROM image of the Universal Prototype Dragrace Game:

Atari Museum Archives - Universal Prototype Rom Image

Curt

As promised' date=' I am freely releasing the image of the Universal Dragrace Prototype[/quote']

:thumbsup: Thanks for sharing Curt.

Now which one of you eager people want to disassemble this baby...PLEASE?

IMO, it looks good for a 1983 game. I might have to do my homework on Universal and games that were released in '83 to do a real comparison though.

I was actually the dumper. I'm going to take some nice scans of it and do a review of the game shortly.

Matt

Thanks correct! Matt deserves kudo's for helping me out on this, my eprom programmer doesn't seem to want to my PC lately, its pretty old, time to get a new one.

Matt's also working on a monster rom project for me and himself right now, he's going through dozens of folders of eprom's and hopefully some interesting WIP's and other goodies may turn up, lets hope Matt uncovers some binary marvels...

Curt

Matt's also working on a monster rom project for me and himself right now' date=' he's going through dozens of folders of eprom's and hopefully some interesting WIP's and other goodies may turn up, lets hope Matt uncovers some binary marvels...[/quote']

Mmh, that sounds very promising. :)

Thank you Curt (and Tempest)!! It's great to see this released.

Too bad there isn't a one-player version of the drag race. Maybe that's all that was left to add. It sure seems to be complete otherwise... I guess maybe it was another victim of the crash. It's a really good looking game though, albeit flickery. (And I was right - the buildings don't move. :P )

A couple of corrections to the Bidiots page:

On starting the games - you only need to move one of the joysticks (left then right) to start the countdown.

At the end of the race, you hit the fire button to release your parachute to come to a safe stop as you cross the finish line. If you don't, you'll crash and won't receive a final time.

Thanks for the extra playing tips, Nathan. I popped the parachute a few times but it didn't really click that it was necessary to get the final time. A little polishing and this would've been a nice game for the 2600 especially 2-player.

Too bad there isn't a one-player version of the drag race.

1 Player work too great, but only with the second Joypad.

Press select that you see the 0 at the bottom. Then left that it change to 1. Now press left and right to start the game.

Player 1 is now CPU and Player 2 (right) You. But withyout Joypad is a bit hard to move. Work not so good with Keyboard.

Too bad there isn't a one-player version of the drag race.

1 Player work too great' date=' but only with the second Joypad.

Press select that you see the 0 at the bottom. Then left that it change to 1. Now press left and right to start the game.

Player 1 is now CPU and Player 2 (right) You. But withyout Joypad is a bit hard to move. Work not so good with Keyboard.[/quote']

There is a one player on the Street Race game but not on the Drag Race one. (When you hit select to make the cpu come up on the drag race, it goes to the street race part)

The street race one has the little guy holding the flag and the drag race part has the red, yellow, green lights.

@sku- It works great with the cuttle cart. (it is easier to play with the difficulty swithes on a system also)

Matt's also working on a monster rom project for me and himself right now, he's going through dozens of folders of eprom's and hopefully some interesting WIP's and other goodies may turn up, lets hope Matt uncovers some binary marvels...

All I'll say right now is that the 32 in 1 cart has some friends...

Tempest

1 Player work too great' date=' but only with the second Joypad.

Player 1 is now CPU and Player 2 (right) You. But withyout Joypad is a bit hard to move. Work not so good with Keyboard.[/quote']

Thanks for that. I don't know if I would have EVER figured out to change the joy ports!

Cool (if simple) little game. Apparently not too hard because I keep winning. At least I'm certainly much more successful at it than I am at Activision's "Dragster"! :roll:

I bet that this would be a lot of fun with two players. It is kinda limited with only the CPU to compete against though.

Thanks Curt!

The one player on the street race works pretty good. :)

Yep' date=' although it's pretty easy to beat. It still seems odd there isn't one for the drage race. I keep thinking I must be missing something obvious to get it to work. ;)

I popped the parachute a few times but it didn't really click that it was necessary to get the final time.

I also discovered you have to let go of the gas pedal when you pop the chute. Oops. :roll: