IGNORED

fixing colecovision controllers?

How hard are these things to take apart? The standard CV controllers. I got my system today and the two joysticks themselves seem to be a little flakey. Pushing up doesn't necessarily mean the character will move on screen. Ladybug for example, if I push up, I might have to center the stick and keep pushing up two or three times before the character moves. Then she'll move for a while then stop. I then have to recenter the stick and try again.

I've never taken a CV stick apart and I wanted an opinion on the probable cause first. The rest of the stick, side buttons, keypad, all seem to work, its the stick itself that gives me problems.

Any help is appreciated.

Dont bother. The stock CV contollers are crap-ola!! Here are a few helpful tips:

- any one button contoller (WICO bats etc..) works just as good for CV as long as it is used for a one button game (which as it turns out is quite a few of them)

- keep one keypad to control starting and selecting

- get a set of the super action controllers - they are quite good

- 3rd party CV controllers for the most part are also quite good

I hope this helps. When I first got my CV, I had the same problem and I have found that these methods are the best for this sort of thing. 8)

I just had one of these apart the other day so I have no idea why I can't remember for sure what it looked like. I'm pretty sure that they use a similar dome switch like the one the 2600 sticks use. The reason I think this is because I have a vague recollection of pondering whether a 2600 joystick rebuild dome kit would work in a CV controller. I could be imagining this. Maybe I shouldn't have taken it apart after killing a six pack. ;) :wink:

-S

It should be easy to take the stick apart and clean under the joystick contacts with some sandpaper and/or contact cleaning solution. The switches in there are like the dome switches in the 2600 joystick, but look more like little metal bridges, so you can get underneath them with a small strip of sandpaper and get them clean. Then a drop of alcohol or contact cleaner (WD40 will work) and that's all it should take - I've done it a few times with excellent results.

Thanks guys. I have one super action controller and I find them quite good. I've also tried the atari controllers along with using the CV controller in the other port and this works great except with Cosmic Avenger which is a two button game.

Here's a question. I thought I remember hearing here a long time ago that a CV controller will operate the 2600 version of Omega Race properly so you don't need the booster controller. True?

Here's a question. I thought I remember hearing here a long time ago that a CV controller will operate the 2600 version of Omega Race properly so you don't need the booster controller. True?

True - check out the manual for that game:

http://www.atariage.com/manual_html_page.h...wareLabelID=332

[ NOTE: A Colecovision joystick may be stubstituted for the Atari

Joystick Controller/Booster-Grip combination if you do not have the

Booster-Grip adaptor. ]

....or see if you can get your hands on any of these 3rd party CV sticks (which are part of my personal collection.)

I have all those controllers and quite honestly.. they all have issues of some sort or another. None of them are any good. Your cheapest and best solution would be to use a y-cable, a 7800 controller (joypad) and a coleco controller.

Regards,

-Lee

I have all those controllers....

Lee, you even have a four button Questar controller like the one pictured? I have not met anyone else who has one of those! I don't have any issues with that stick - I think it's one of the best joysticks I've used for the CV.

However, I agree that some of them are not the greatest - I personally hate the WICO, and the Newport Prostick just doesn't fit right in my hand. The Amiga stick has a good feel, but the placement of the second fire button is pretty bad. The Champ keypad is pretty cool, but does almost the same thing as a Y cable and a stock controller would do.

Lee, you even have a four button Questar controller like the one pictured? I have not met anyone else who has one of those! I don't have any issues with that stick - I think it's one of the best joysticks I've used for the CV.

Yep.. Its too farkin big and no keypad.

The Champ adapter is by far the best solution with a 7800 Joypad (Aside from my modified Jagpad), alternatively, build a y-adapter from broken CV controllers (Goto RadShak and get a 9 pin din and mount it on a CV controller.. viola, you have a champ adapter).

A side note here.. I believe John Soper made a jagpad adapter... even cooler idea than mine, but a alot of work.

-Lee

I like the 7800 joypad idea. Right now I will just use it in the first spot and attach the stock controller to the second spot. However, I will keep my eyes open for a champ keypad. Does the keypad allow both buttons to work on the joypad because there is an earlier post on these forums and this is unclear? Also, I sorta like using the roller controller in joystick mode in that the fire buttons both work and are pretty good. I like using bigger controllers like this (the large Questar in my opinion would be great!). Does anyone else use the roller in joystick mode. I read somewhere that it is even better using Coleco grabber ball attachments, but I have never seen those.

-RG

I use my nes 7800 controller on my colecovision. I have the Amiga powerstick for the colecovision and it really doesn't work very well (just akward to use)

The 7800 joypads will work with both buttons, but most people charge too much for those, and they don't last as long as the nes pads.

Also the 7800 Proline joysticks will work with both buttons. :)