IGNORED

Original Revenge of Shinobi, or not?

For those that don't know, there were two versions of Revenge of Shinobi (Genesis). The original had Spiderman morphing into Batman as one of the bosses, the second had Spiderman morphing into a generic bat creature. Aside from playing through the game up to that point, how can you tell which version is which? My copy does not have a copyright screen with 1989, 1990 dates, it instead goes straight to the title screen and says 1989 at the bottom. Would this be the original, or do I HAVE to play through it?

I might add, that Revenge of Shinobi was also re-released later on as a Sega Classic. That version definitely does not have Spider Man in it.

If you have an original 1989 copy, then the aforementioned copyright screen will tell you if yours does or does not have SpiderMan in it. No Marvel/Spiderman text in the copyright notice = no SpiderMan in the game.

There should be a notice of Spiderman and Marvel comics in the copyright text that appears when you boot the game.

Actually I bought Revenge of Shinobi the week of it's release. It had Spiderman and Batman in it..(which I noticed, but figured they were sort of "borrowed" and not really those characters.. but I guess everyone figures they are) Anyway, I really don't recall reading ANY copyright from Marvel or Spiderman in any part of the game. Otherwise I definitely would have noticed and said "ahh yes then it IS Spiderman. etc." :?

Don't forget that a Spiderman-ish figure crawled the walls in the original Shinobi right there in the first stage.. So I kind of just made the connection at the time.

there is definately a mention of Spider-Man in the original text of the opening screen.

I remember this vividly because the day I bought my Genesis, I picked up Golden Axe 2, and Spider-Man, only when I got to the car, I noticed that I grabbed the Game Gear version of Spider-Man. I went to exchange it, and I was told that the Genesis one wasn't even out yet. So I picked up Revenge of Shinobi since I enjoyed the original arcade Shinobi

I got hope and popped in Revenge of Shinobi and noticed the spider-man text. and for a second I thought for some dumb luck reason that I had spiderman, but alas it wasn't. Its a good thing too because Spider-Man for Genesis sucks ass, but I hear the CD version is pretty good

there is definately a mention of Spider-Man in the original text of the opening screen.  

I remember this vividly because the day I bought my Genesis, I picked up Golden Axe 2, and Spider-Man, only when I got to the car, I noticed that I grabbed the Game Gear version of Spider-Man. I went to exchange it, and I was told that the Genesis one wasn't even out yet. So I picked up Revenge of Shinobi since I enjoyed the original arcade Shinobi

I got hope and popped in Revenge of Shinobi and noticed the spider-man text. and for a second I thought for some dumb luck reason that I had spiderman, but alas it wasn't. Its a good thing too because Spider-Man for Genesis sucks ass, but I hear the CD version is pretty good

Golden Axe 2 and Spider Man came out WAY later than the original Revenge of Shinobi. You probably got a later release ;)

Well I know for absolutely sure there was a mention of Spiderman in the opening text (copyrights and all that). I got to the level with Spider-Man in it. It had the Man-Bat thingy, but no Batman. I never claimed to have the original one, I just said it had the spiderman text. I never bought Spiderman for Genesis, it was for gamegear that I accidentally bought it, because it wasn't out for Genesis at the time (or so the clerk at Tous R Us told me

Well I know for absolutely sure there was a mention of Spiderman in the opening text (copyrights and all that). I got to the level with Spider-Man in it. It had the Man-Bat thingy, but no Batman. I never claimed to have the original one, I just said it had the spiderman text. I never bought Spiderman for Genesis, it was for gamegear that I accidentally bought it, because it wasn't out for Genesis at the time (or so the clerk at Tous R Us told me

Right. And what I was saying is I don't think there's any mention of Spiderman in the original release at all. Actually I'm pretty sure of it now. Once the game had been out for a while, they popped it in there into the intro.

And what I was saying is I don't think there's any mention of Spiderman in the original release at all. Actually I'm pretty sure of it now. Once the game had been out for a while, they popped it in there into the intro.

Yes that's what I happened I think. I had the original japanese cart and it didn't have any copyright notices either.

Yes - There is definitely Spider-Man...I have played and beat him. The only version I've played or seen is the one where Spider-Man turns into a bat creature.

However, here's some other info on the game:

http://ryangenno.tripod.com/sub_pages/Revenge.htm

In part:

"The Revenge of Shinobi is an 8 level mission with 2 stages each and a boss battle. Each level as a certain theme to it like level 1 starts in residential Japan with rival ninjas and samurais as your enemies while level 3 takes place in a training base and now you have to worry about various gunmen and guys with flame throwers. The bosses were not only tough as 2 month old French bread; the bosses were some of the coolest I have ever seen in a game. Who can forget that giant fire breathing dinosaur in level 7! Heck, Sega even included the legendary Spider Man as the Level 6 boss, strange but true!"

Additonally, with a little searching (and no I will *not* post the links) you can find the following - There are *not* difficult to locate:

Revenge of Shinobi, The (REV 00) (JUE) [R-USA-Jap][!] 374 kb

Revenge of Shinobi, The (REV 00) (JUE) [R-USA][p1][b1] 360 kb

Revenge of Shinobi, The (REV 01) (JUE) [R-USA][!] 360 kb

Revenge of Shinobi, The (REV 02) (JUE) [R-Eur][!] 361 kb

Revenge of Shinobi, The (REV 03) (JUE) 359 kb

Revenge of Shinobi, The (REV 03) (JUE) [p1] 359 kb

The above are zipped file sizes.

And it's not like you need a ROM NATION to find them ;-)