IGNORED

Basic Programming Cart / Controllers

khryssun

I used to own Basic Programming. It was mainly for novelty purposes. The one I bough didn't come with the keypad controllers, and the overlays were standard looking, but the one wierd thing was the "rotate" button at th bottom of the keypad overlays. Worked like a 4-way shift button. They needed a way to fit all..36+ keys onto the keypads so this color-coded rotate button was the answer.

I don't actually have this cartridge, so I'm not 100% sure... but I believe the Video Touchpad (Star Raiders), the Keyboard Controllers (Basic Programming), and the Kids Controllers (Various Sesame St. Games) are all compatible. Of course, you'll need two Touchpads to actually use them with Basic Programming, and the overlays won't fit. In case you just want to the overlays, you can print them out. For something close to the original, print them on a transparency (reverse the image so that you see it from the shiny side), and then paint the back white (the side that was actually printed on) with spray paint. Check here for a scan of the overlay.

--Zero

I have buy my new (I think, it was shrinkwrapped). And there was 2 overlays for the controllers, but no controller itself.

And yes, I think too that the keypad is compatible. I think is the same. I think too that the Kids Controller is compatible too.

But I can't tell it exactly. I think this only.

Matthias

Actually, you could write programs for it (as long as a whoppin' 63 bytes long). And you could use two displays at the same time (one for text output & one for "graphics"...a large blue area with two square sprites)...something for ZX81 users to envy. And I think that it's the only Basic to forgo the optional LET statement in favor of an arrow symbol...a wet dream for algebra instructors everywhere ("A does not equal A plus one, damnit! Use LET A=A+1!!!"). One of the bad lessons it could teach you is that bad programming nets more RAM (the two "blobs" of code can be erased to give you 65 total memory).

Does anyone know who wrote the program example in the catalog? What the heck was that about?

• 9 months later...

I bought a NIB copy of Basic Programming in a B&W box and it came with NO overlays, NO controllers, just game, box and manual. I was very surprised that there were no overlays. A copy of the overlays was printed (in black and white) in the manual.

I've got Basic Programming and the actual keyboard controllers. I'm pretty sure that the controllers are wired the same as the Video Touch Pad controllers.

What's nice about the keyboard controllers is they can be attached to each other (there's a controller-height-long tab on one side of the controller and a corresponding controller-height-long slot on the other side) to sorta make one 24-key keyboard. I think this is why they're prefereable for Basic Programming.

I can post a picture later today of the attached controllers if anyone's interested. I'm at work now.

Voch

I'm pretty sure that the controllers are wired the same as the Video Touch Pad controllers.

The Keyboard Controllers came out in 1978. They were sold separately and were not packaged with carts initially. They were sold at Sears also .. does anyone know if the Sears Keyboard controller is different in appearance from the Atari one?

The first carts to use the keyboard are CodeBreaker (Sears and Atari), Memory Match (Concentration), and Brain Games --- all 1978. Later came Basic Programming (1981?) with overlay. (I made my own overlays.)

Some time later there was a combo programming package with pack-in Basic Programming cart and keyboard controllers.

Still later came Star Raiders (1982?)with pack-in video touch pad controller (electronically equivalent to Keyboards.)

After that came the Sesame Street games (1983) with overlays that use the Kid Controller (electronically equivalent to the Keyboards) separately sold.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

I'm pretty sure that the controllers are wired the same as the Video Touch Pad controllers.

The Keyboard Controllers came out in 1978. They were sold separately and were not packaged with carts initially. They were sold at Sears also .. does anyone know if the Sears Keyboard controller is different in appearance from the Atari one?

The first carts to use the keyboard are CodeBreaker (Sears and Atari), Memory Match (Concentration), and Brain Games --- all 1978. Later came Basic Programming (1981?) with overlay. (I made my own overlays.)

Some time later there was a combo programming package with pack-in Basic Programming cart and keyboard controllers.

Still later came Star Raiders (1982?)with pack-in video touch pad controller (electronically equivalent to Keyboards.)

After that came the Sesame Street games (1983) with overlays that use the Kid Controller (electronically equivalent to the Keyboards) separately sold.

The big crime is that Atari did not program the Basic Math cart (1977) and later Grand Pris Math cart to use the keyboard controllers.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

That makes sense now that the Keyboard Controller came out first. I guess the Video Touch Pad redesign over the Keyboard Controller was that overlays could easily be used for Star Raiders (looks more futureistic or something like that).

I wonder if I have the Basic Programming overlays at home. I'll check in a few hours. I'm pretty sure I have at least the manual.

The online manual here at AtariAge includes the key layout at the end of the document.

Voch