IGNORED

Oh, what do I need to know about 5200?

FireTiger

I'm concidering getting a 5200 and adaptor for my atari colection as I keep running into 5200 games around. I read the thread about the 5200 port 2 vs 4 which means I would need a 2 port.

Do the slimlines work as controlers or do most games require the 5200 controllers?

Which type of power supply does it use? (I can't find this in a search)

Usual/fair market price for either type?

Anything else I should know?

I don't know about a fair price since I got both my 2 and 4 ports pre-ebay. But, I can help you with the other things...

If you can get a decent switchbox, I'd get a 4 port since they run all games (2 port doesn't play Pitfall, Mountain King, or Krazy Shoot Out) but it's all preference really.

Slimlines as in the 7800/2600 controllers? Well the connectors are different...so unless you have some sort of adapter (Wico) those controllers are not going to plug in to your 5200.

Power supplies! I've included a picture for your convenience...

4 port:

Input 120v, 60 hz, 30w

Output 11.5v DC, 1.95a

2 port:

Input 120vAC, 60 hz, 30va

Output 9.3v DC, 1.95a

The one on the left is for the 4 port, and it has raised plastic around the logo. The one on the right is for the 2 port, and is has a label with the logo and info instead of just plastic.

I think you can use either for either port 5200 but it couldn't hurt to use the right one! (Who knows how many 4 port switchboxes might have burned out because of using a 2 port adapter? Is that possible? I don't know)

I

Do the slimlines work as controlers or do most games require the 5200 controllers?

The slimlines will not work because they do not have the correct pin connection. There are a number of alternatives to the notoriously fickle stock controllers. My Favorite would be the Competition Pro' date=' followed by the Starcon, but if you're used to and love the 2600/7800 controllers, you can get a redemption adapter to use. There are three versions that will allow you to use a large number of controllers for the 7800, 2600, Genesis, or PC. I don't have one of these, but understand that it's similar to the Masterplay Interface except that it doesn't offer the auxiliary fire button.

Here's a link to the description in the AA store:

http://www.atariage.com/store/product_info...products_id=257

Which type of power supply does it use? (I can't find this in a search)

Kialan already answered this, but if you want to familiarize yourself with the hardware specs of each version of the 5200, check out the FAQ section:

http://www.atariage.com/5200/faq.html?SystemID=5200

Usual/fair market price for either type?

You can find core systems without the PS or TV Switch adapter for $5-10 if you look around. A complete system minus working controllers can be had for $20.00 and a system with working controllers will run you about $55.00. You can save yourself some money by fixing broken controllers yourself, or by contacting Mrretrogamer here at AA. He fixes stock 5200 controllers and does an excellent job.

Anything else I should know?

Don't pay too much for a system that is "untested" or buy from someone making claims that the controllers work unless that person is someone from AA. Even if they're responsive, chances are good that they need some tuning up.

Hello, if you want to play 2600 games on your A5200 with Cartridge adaptor you should checkout! it's litte trick!

There are 3 versions of Atari 5200 (two 4 ports and one two port)

The early 4 port version has reflective plastic on the lower end of the deck.

This is the version that won't work with the 2600 adaptor. Unless you buy a modified version.

The other version of the 4 port has a matte surface on the lower end...

You won't have any problem with your 2 port.

Ataris A5200 on Ebay, if your lucky or you want something cheap should be 50 to 75 bucks but a lot of times... you would refurbish your joysticks unless they sell aready done.

A personal recommendion will be of buying your games from ebay and if you what garanteed condition A5200 with refurbished controllers, and a modified 4 port you should get it from :

Lance Ringquist from Video 61, www.atarisales.com

www.Atari2600.com

www.4jays.com

www.Atarigoods.com

Hello, if you want to play 2600 games on your A5200 with Cartridge adaptor you should checkout! it's litte trick!

There are 3 versions of Atari 5200 (two 4 ports and one two port)

The early 4 port version has reflective plastic on the lower end of the deck.

This is the version that won't work with the 2600 adaptor. Unless you buy a modified version.

The other version of the 4 port has a matte surface on the lower end...

You won't have any problem with your 2 port.

Ataris A5200 on Ebay, if your lucky or you want something cheap should be 50 to 75 bucks but a lot of times... you would refurbish your joysticks unless they sell aready done.

A personal  recommendion will be of buying your games from ebay and if you what garanteed condition A5200 with refurbished controllers, and a modified 4 port you should get it from :

Lance Ringquist from Video 61, www.atarisales.com

www.Atari2600.com

www.4jays.com

www.Atarigoods.com

Thanks all, The atari200.com link is broken, I'm waiting around to see if the adaptor I asked someone about is going to be for sale.

I have an extra 5200 2 port system available with power supply, as well as a few common games. If you are interested in a package with one or more fully rebuilt joysticks, drop me a PM. As mentioned above, I have done work for many satisfied AA members, and I'm sure I can put something together for you too! :D

Also,

Make sure you get a trackball as well. People have said it before and I agree..... you can't find a better version of centipede for the home outside of buying an arcade cab.

And... Make sure you can repair the joysticks or know of somebody who can. They play fine, but keeping them in working order... thats a whole other ballgame.