IGNORED

How to print ATASCII characters using an emulator?

DEBRO

Does anyone know of a way to print an AtariBASIC listing using an emulator such as Atari800WinPLus? It won't print ATASCII that I know of. I'd like to print those strange Atari character strings we used to quickly load a ML routine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I wrote a little script that will display an Atari 8-bit BASIC program. It lives here:

http://www.langesite.com/php/atarilist.html

You can upload a "LIST"ed Atari BASIC program and it will list the program including special characters.

To get a "LIST" program, you could do the following in a emulator:

LOAD "D:FILENAME.BAS"

then when you get the ready prompt:

LIST "H:FILENAME.LST"

Upload the FILENAME.LST file and it should render.

I'm still missing a few characters, but you'll get the idea. Let me know how it works.

I attached the SCRAM listing for testing.

Thanks

Bill

scram.zip

I'm still missing a few characters, but you'll get the idea.  Let me know how it works.

It works nicely. I tried to upload a long program I did years ago and got a time out :sad:

I was able to render Nuclear Reactor though :thumbsup:

Could you have it render the program as a picture (.png, .jpg, .bmp, etc) that way we could save the picture to disk?

Try your long program again and let me know what happens. I was working on it and maybe stepped on you. Or I might have some value set that limits the upload size.

It actually renders as about a few hundred picutres. I wrote a program in Visual Basic that lets me browse through an Atari ROM looking for the character sets. Once I get the sets the VB app writes out a php script that renders the individual graphics.

The html and php script just maps the atari listing to the correct (hopefully) images.

I can probably have the php script concat all the 8 by 8 images into a large image file.

Bill

I want to do the same but converting to a word/rtf file.

I found some fonts, but they are incomplete, do you know where I can download a full set of attascii fonts forn windows?

devwebcl

I haven't seen a complete Atari font, just the letters and numbers. I have included all of the little pictures that I created to make my script work in another topic. You can use those to create your own font or atleast extend the currently available fonts. Shouldn't take to long since half the font is already available.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Could you have it render the program as a picture (.png, .jpg, .bmp, etc) that way we could save the picture to disk?

Debro -

I did a litte work on this tonight while watching the grammies. It is almost there. I just have to make a change to scan through the file first to figure out how long the list image needs to be before creating it.

See attached

Bill

post-188-1108361689_thumb.png

• 5 months later...

Well, I've been really busy since Feb. :-)

We built a new house and finally moved in March. New job in May. And now we are getting married on July 30th. Busy busy.

I've been working on doing some background work to move my website from static pages to a more php/mysql driven site for easier updates.

I think I broke something with this tool while I was playing around with stuff. It's probably just directory setting in the apache or php ini file.

I need to fix that little issue. Then I would like to use php to produce a pdf file with the listing. Once I have that working, I'll modify the program to handle 'save "d:filename.bas" ' files as well as 'list "d:filename.lst" ' programs. Basically it will de-tokenise saved programs before trying to render.

Give me a day or two to get the original tool working again.

What other features where you looking for?

By the way, my apache webserver runs on a XP box in my house connected to the internet via comcast cable modem. Every once in a while the "dynamic" ip address will change and the webserver will seem to be down until I relink my domain name to the new dynamic ip.

Bill

What other features where you looking for?

Just having it generate the output as some picture format (i.e. JPG, GIF, BMP, etc) would be great. That way we could print them out or post them if we wanted.

Congratulations on the house, new job, and the new life you'll have with your new wife.

I think when I last worked on it, it would output a .png to the correct size for the file with a blue boarder all around it.  Since its php, it should be fairly easy to add code to allow the user to select the output format.

Bill

895065[/snapback]

PNG is fine as long as I can right click and save picture as ;) I haven't tried it in while. I'll see if I can get a moment to try it out again. Thanks.

Well...I got

Warning: fopen(C:\www\langesite\AtariLister/bustout.lst) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in C:\www\Langesite\Php\AtariList.php on line 51

I'll wait until you have a free moment to look at it.

Edited by DEBRO

• 4 weeks later...

Dennis

I finally got a chance to work on this. Here is the link:

http://www.langesite.com/atarilister/

You can either upload a new file or choose one from the list. The program will then spit out an html listing character by character. When that is done, it will render the listing as a png image in memory and save it to the file system. Once the png image is saved, a link to it is created and displayed.

Rendering the html is fairly quick (a few seconds) locally, but will probably take a little longer remotely. Rendering the png image takes about 15 - 20 seconds locally, but should not take any longer remotely.

I still have a little work to do, but it is working.

Bill

Hi Bill,

You can either upload a new file or choose one from the list.  The program will then spit out an html listing character by character.  When that is done, it will render the listing as a png image in memory and save it to the file system.  Once the png image is saved, a link to it is created and displayed.

Thanks a lot. Now we can get printouts of our AtariBASIC games like the old days.

BTW, I tried to upload a file and got...

Notice: Undefined index: fileselect in C:\www\Langesite\AtariLister\AtariList.php on line 15

version: 0.4 line: 38 color: BW

I was trying to upload a new Bust Out I found on one of my disks.

Here you go:

http://www.atariarchives.org/c1ba/page036.php

http://www.atariarchives.org/c1ba/page026.php

There are many more good programming sources there: http://www.atariarchives.org/

Try also http://www.atarimagazines.com/index/?mag=antic

Whole listing of Antic magazine articles, you can find there many topics covering several programming technics and structures.