IGNORED

GBA SP differences between old & new systems?

I have a cobalt GBA SP that I bought about a month after they were released here in the US, and today I picked up a second SP (the NES Retro one).

There seem to be some differences between the two, and I don't know if it's because my first SP was an earlier one, or if it's a difference between the regular SP's and the NES one. I'm sure some of you out there have more than one SP and I was wondering if you had noticed the same things.

Here are the differences I've noticed:

-My old SP feels "springy" when you open and close the case, while my new NES one doesn't

-My new NES SP has a brighter screen, with the front-light on, than my old SP does. I don't know if my old SP is dimming, or if there's a legitimate difference between the two.

-My old SP feels a bit heavier, while the NES one feels kind of light. I'm afraid to drop the new one.

-It seems there might be a difference in the sound clarity or maybe the volume, too, but I haven't tested this yet. The new one seems to sound better.

Has anyone else noticed any differences between multiple SP's?

The only GBA SPs I owned are the platinum one and the cobalt one that I traded mine with a friend for, considering he just bought his within the same week I got mine. The only difference I know between the two is that the cartridges are a little harder to snap in and out of the cobalt SP.

-My old SP feels a bit heavier, while the NES one feels kind of light.  I'm afraid to drop the new one.

I would try and not drop any of them ;)

I haven't dropped either of them yet, thankfully. I've had the cobalt one for 14 months and there's not so much as a scratch on the case or a smudge on the screen.

Vic George 2k3: I've noticed that cartridges are harder to get in and out of my cobalt SP, too. I wonder how that could possibly be?

I dropped mine once. No damage done.  :D

Try throwing it ;)

I have.* The only "problem" with it is the black is wearing off after being taken out of my pocket so often. )

* at a pillow.

My limited edition Rip Curl SP seems to be heavier then the cobalt, I dont know but it just feels more solid. The rip curl one is kind of like the famicom one in colour, I think an aus only release.

I think the newer ones may be of better make

The display was changed sometime just before Onyx and Flame was released. Early LCD were prone to getting dust under the screen, which made a (no pun intended) glaring issue with some picky owners. Some other minor changes were done as well.

I don't know about the difference in the hinge or controller.

The display was changed sometime just before Onyx and Flame was released.  Early LCD were prone to getting dust under the screen, which made a (no pun intended) glaring issue with some picky owners.  Some other minor changes were done as well.

Do you mean the early cobalt and platinum SP's are more prone to getting dust under the screen after the consumer gets it, or is it during the manufacturing process? Fortunately, I didn't have that problem with mine, but it would have been a major headache for me.

I don't think my cobalt SP was ever as bright as the new one, so maybe Nintendo made a modification to the front-lighting at some point.

I haven't noticed the controls being too responsive on the new one. But the hinge is definitely different. My cobalt one is more "springy," while the new one just kind of smoothly glides open and shut.

I'd say Dust Under the Screen is a pretty legitimate flaw, not just being picky.

I am, of course, one of those people that is perfectly happy with the old GBA model and a GameBoy Player.

What would *really* rock, though, is if Nintendo made an actual home GameBoy system, not just a hardware attachment for the GameCube. Imagine how small that could be, too... it'd be great.

And with the entire Retro Nintendo thing swinging? Imagine a self-contained home GameBoy Player system, shaped like a very small old school NES system. Palmsized, sucka.

I'd say Dust Under the Screen is a pretty legitimate flaw, not just being picky.

I am, of course, one of those people that is perfectly happy with the old GBA model and a GameBoy Player.

What would *really* rock, though, is if Nintendo made an actual home GameBoy system, not just a hardware attachment for the GameCube.  Imagine how small that could be, too... it'd be great.

And with the entire Retro Nintendo thing swinging?  Imagine a self-contained home GameBoy Player system, shaped like a very small old school NES system.  Palmsized, sucka.

Or how about the next generation of GB's have tiny audio and video outputs like digital camera's have? :)

Yeah, A/V outputs would be totally acceptable.

If the GBA SP could be 'on' in a standby or A/V Output mode with the screen off... eh.

I don't know, really. They just need to make a self-contained home GameBoy player, not a hardware attachment. The GameCube one was so close to perfect ... but they just HAD to include a damn disc. I need to get a couple spares of that disc, just in case....

Gotta love the GBA SP NES retro version.

Yeah, I like it. At first I thought the controller-looking overlay would be some cheap sticker, but it actually has the texture of the old NES controller faces and it seems pretty rugged. I'm not sure about the little "vent" design, though. It looks like it could scratch or scuff easily.

I'm a big, big fan of the Game Boy Advance SP. I had been tempted for months to buy another one "just in case anything happens to my cobalt SP" but I'm glad I waited until the retro one came out to buy a second one.