IGNORED

Event bumping

Guest cvo

[rant on]Is it just me or is it kind of annoying when events get bumped with updates every couple of days or so? I mean, if you don't have a website presence for the event, that is one thing and makes some sense (but not really since there are plenty of places to host a site), but if you do have a website presence for the event, then it is kind of redundant and annoying. I mean c'mon, if I want to know the latest about an event I'm looking forward to, I will go to the website for it. Another option is a mailing list set up for updates to be automatically sent to you. That way people can be informed of event updates without having to go to the website or can be informed to go to the website for more information.

For example, I'm looking forward to going to this year's Austin City Limits festival. I am very interested in who's coming to perform, what the schedules are, vendors to be there, etc. I go to the website often to look up the latest---that's the whole frickin point of their website!!! Do I see them posting every couple of days with updates on music, city, and entertainment websites? No. Why? Because that is lame.

I understand if it's some big announcement but I really don't care to see updates every two days about an addition of a vendor or a PR. Plus I don't think it's very fair to the other events who keep getting pushed down, and in turn THEY feel they have to bump THEIR threads to get noticed. Then things turn into a spamfest of sorts.

[/rant off]

i think it has to do with the nature of the events forum itself. it doesnt get a lot of traffic and probably nobody just wanders in to see if anything is coming up in their area. because of the low traffic in this forum the only post 90% of viewers see is the most recent when they are browsing the forum index.

our group NECG has a long running website and emailing list, not to mention great support from AA on the mainpage news, still though it doesnt hurt to keep the events thread up near the top, at least in the week leading up to the meet. besides if additonal details develop, like our classifieds and contests thats worth posting isnt it?

i just cant see promoting an event in the events forum being considered spam ya know? this forum is pretty quiet and uncluttered, and 100% on topic i might add :)

i think it has to do with the nature of the events forum itself. it doesnt get a lot of traffic and probably nobody just wanders in to see if anything is coming up in their area. because of the low traffic in this forum the only post 90% of viewers see is the most recent when they are browsing the forum index.

Hey Christian :)

I know that this forum doesn't get a lot of traffic. However, that is indicative that people who care to look in it are looking in it, and the people who don't care to look in it aren't going to look into it. If I am interested in an event I will look there. Repeatedly bumping an event will probably not increase the numbers of people interested in the event.

What I have seen before and is happening again is that people get event-bump-happy. Each event wants to be at the top to be immediately seen by others, so they go back and forth with the bumping. I understand if you bump after a long time, but after 2 days??? That is a little bit impatient. I mean how many times can post, "Anyone want a table? There are plenty left!" before it gets redundant and annoying? That's my point.

I'm not saying that numerous posts about an event are bad, but I am saying that in my opinion repeated bumps within days of each other with similar content are overkill and annoying.

Hey Christian :)

I know that this forum doesn't get a lot of traffic. However, that is indicative that people who care to look in it are looking in it, and the people who don't care to look in it aren't going to look into it. If I am interested in an event I will look there. Repeatedly bumping an event will probably not increase the numbers of people interested in the event.

What I have seen before and is happening again is that people get event-bump-happy. Each event wants to be at the top to be immediately seen by others, so they go back and forth with the bumping. I understand if you bump after a long time, but after 2 days??? That is a little bit impatient. I mean how many times can post, "Anyone want a table? There are plenty left!" before it gets redundant and annoying? That's my point.

I'm not saying that numerous posts about an event are bad, but I am saying that in my opinion repeated bumps within days of each other with similar content are overkill and annoying.

Ouch, I think this subject was more directed to me then to anyone else.

while I do agree with the mass posting about tables is redundant (and annoying) but it does help from time to time. but I don't do it every single week or day for that matter only when it gets close to show time.

I'll try to keep it down though.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll bump a thread when I have a question for the organizer, rather than PM them. Since there's an Events forum it seems like a useful place to do it because other people might have the same questions about a con or event and can read both question and answer.