IGNORED

JellyBeans Homebrew Network Game

Cybernoid

Hi all!

I have been working on a simple little modem/network puzzle game that can be used with APE and/or the emulator.

Of course everyone says not to release anything before it is finished, but everyone loves demos, right! :)

The premise of the game:

You have 5 columns of Jellybeans. Each column can hold a maximum of 15 Jellybeans. You can move the joystick up and down to move the selected column up and down. You move the joystick left/right to select a different column. And, you move the joystick left/right while pressing fire to "slide" the Jellybeans left or right.

You can match 3, 4 or 5 Jellybeans to remove them. More Jellybeans are added as you play. The frequency of Jellybean additions increases as time goes on.

Right now, 1 player mode works. 2 player mode via modem works except for you will eventually be able to cause more Jellybeans to be added based on what you remove from your screen (not done yet).

To start a 2 player network game, there is a small 4-line terminal at the bottom of the screen, use this to connect to the other player and chat if you like, then press START to start playing. You can still "chat", but it will slow the game down a little.

I have tried this on atari800 (for Linux), atari800win and a real 130XE using APE. In order for APE to work, you must have one person use "Client Mode" and the other use "server mode". Right now, only server mode works with atari800win, and server and client mode works with the Linux emulator.

Eventually, the game will support 8 simultaneous players while connecting to a "Game Server"... most likely running on a Linux box somewhere, but for now 2 player mode works.

Also to be done: There are Bricks and Bombs to add to the excitement, but I haven't added their functionality yet. And of course, I am still working on the graphics a bit... this is a rough draft...

Anyway, give it a try! Let me know if you have any questions, comments, fears, or you want to connect to play a game.

The website explaining the game is comming...

post-4398-1088470250_thumb.jpg

beandemo.zip

• 1 month later...
That looks really sweet :-) maybe u could add some gradients by changing the color every scan line? Other than that, great work!

Thanks! I cannot change the color every scan line, but I am basically change colors every Antic/Display List line. The mode I am using has 8 scan lines per Antic line.

The game screen is basically one big gradient, but I can use WSYNC at a few locations on screen.

Good idea! I'll mess around with it. Gotta have gradients! :D

That looks really sweet :-) maybe u could add some gradients by changing the color every scan line? Other than that, great work!

Done! Okay, you asked for gradients... :)

I updated the DLI routine, so now I have great control over the colors.

post-4398-1091553957_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I would like to release a version of JellyBeans to everyone, so.... here it is...

I am still updating a few features, but you can play around with it in the meantime. Also, check out Adam's great title screen!!!!

Also, the title screen music, although not fantastic, was written by myself, but in 1987. (Music plays on PAL version only).

In game music can be selected/changed form the options menu. Notice that this disks are full of the RMT music examples, so instead of JellyBeans having its own music, you can create your own to play.

To create music for JellyBeans use RMT, but save the RMT file as a stripped RMT file for address $4000. The maximum size of a music file is 4k, since I have only allowed music form address $4000 to $5000. Save RMT files as *.RMT to the JellyBeans disk!

The terminal needs to be debugged some, but....

So, there you have it... JellyBeans is a Game, a Music Player and a Terminal. Enjoy! 8)

Please checkout the website, too:

http://geocities.com/vlastaar/jellybeans/

Cheers and Merry XMAS,

Chris/Cybernoid[/url]

jellybeans_1_0_1.zip

Played this game a time or two. Really nice. Still getting the hang of it, but as I said before, this game has close to Atari ST graphics. Amazing.

Working on getting my network mode to work, get some practice, and then I want to play someone! :)

Doc Clu

Hi all!

I have been working on a simple little modem/network puzzle game that can be used with APE and/or the emulator.

Of course everyone says not to release anything before it is finished, but everyone loves demos, right! :)

The premise of the game:

You have 5 columns of Jellybeans.  Each column can hold a maximum of 15 Jellybeans.  You can move the joystick up and down to move the selected column up and down.  You move the joystick left/right to select a different column. And, you move the joystick left/right while pressing fire to "slide" the Jellybeans left or right.  

You can match 3, 4 or 5 Jellybeans to remove them.  More Jellybeans are added as you play.  The frequency of Jellybean additions increases as time goes on.

Right now, 1 player mode works.  2 player mode via modem works except for you will eventually be able to cause more Jellybeans to be added based on what you remove from your screen (not done yet).  

To start a 2 player network game, there is a small 4-line terminal at the bottom of the screen, use this to connect to the other player and chat if you like, then press START to start playing.  You can still "chat", but it will slow the game down a little.  

I have tried this on atari800 (for Linux), atari800win and a real 130XE using APE.  In order for APE to work, you must have one person use "Client Mode" and the other use "server mode".  Right now, only server mode works with atari800win, and server and client mode works with the Linux emulator.

Eventually, the game will support 8 simultaneous players while connecting to a "Game Server"... most likely running on a Linux box somewhere, but for now 2 player mode works.

Also to be done:  There are Bricks and Bombs to add to the excitement, but I haven't added their functionality yet.  And of course, I am still working on the graphics a bit... this is a rough draft...

Anyway, give it a try!  Let me know if you have any questions, comments, fears, or you want to connect to play a game.

The website explaining the game is comming...

Hi!

Very very nice game, really. I like it. But...

Is there any way how to start new game before all positions are filled up?

And I think there should be added possibility to delete chars when entering player's name in the option menu.

F.

Hi!

Very very nice game, really. I like it. But...

Is there any way how to start new game before all positions are filled up?

And I think there should be added possibility to delete chars when entering player's name in the option menu.

F.

These are two good features, and easy to implement. I will add the possibility to delete chars in the player's name field and also a way to restart the game in the middle...

Thanks for the input, and if anyone wants to add any other suggestions, let me know...

Thanks,

=C=