IGNORED

Songbird Lassos Loopz for Lynx

Songbird

Songbird Lassos Loopz for Lynx

June 29, 2004

For immediate release:

ROCHESTER, MN --

After years of being in a holding pattern, Loopz is finally making a landing on the Atari Lynx. Songbird Productions recently scooped up the rights to this game after several years of negotiations with Audiogenic Software Ltd. and Hand Made Software.

Loopz is the captivating puzzle game which has been published in at least a dozen different formats. The premise is simple: get pieces, drop them on the screen, and form closed "loopz" to clear the screen. The bigger the loopz, the bigger the points. The three game variations included are Chain Loopz, Target Loopz, and Match Loopz, each with their own twist on the basic game. Players can also watch for "gophers" which appear occasionally to help clear incomplete loopz from the screen.

Peter Calver, Managing Director of Audiogenic, was happy to work with Songbird on licensing this release: "I'm thrilled that at last Lynx owners will finally be able to play this highly addictive game!". Songbird founder Carl Forhan was equally pleased, saying, "This is a game many fans have heard about and maybe even played a few times over the years. I'm glad Songbird can finally give this game the proper publication it deserves."

Songbird expects to have the game ready for release at Classic Gaming Expo in San Jose this August. For details about CGE, please visit http://cgexpo.com .

Songbird Productions is a premier developer and publisher for the Atari Lynx and Jaguar. To keep up to date with the latest news at Songbird Productions, be sure to visit the company web site at http://songbird-productions.com . This message may be reprinted in its entirety.

i have one small question to pose on this interesting subject, what will be

the difference between this songbird release and the prototype release of

this that has been available from the atari dealers out there since 1996?

will this version have the graphic bugs and such fixed in it? will it be ano-

ther eprom cart release in a songbbird cd case with docs?

not trying to shoot carl down here,but, this just seems a little bit on the old

side of redundant in the year 2004. i've had the prototype version of this

since 1997. if this a truly great release of this lynx game i'll grab a real

licensed version,too. just my two cents worth. :) --the lynxer

p.s.

if road riot 4wd is to follow in a fully finished

and licensed version without the bugs it has

too i'll snag one as well!

Well for one thing, this version will be legal to own. If you own a copy of Loopz that you bought from someone else it's illegal (especially since the company appears to still be in business).

Personally, I'm really excited about that. Now if only Cabal, 720, and Vindicators would show up...

Tempest

Yes! Loopz is a great game! :D

I'm happy it finally will be official released...some 12 (!) years after it's original release date. I also already have a Loopz proto copy but will definetly order this game the day it is published.

A BIG THANX to Songbird Productions and Carl Forhan for taking time and effort to hunt down people and/or companys and get the rights to publish abandoned games!

Eye of the Beholder.....one day...one day...still hoping ;)

People saying the Lynx is a "dead system". Those people are dreaming!!! 2004...Alpine Games...Loopz...and Pokermania waiting around the corner. The Atari Lynx is very much alive!! And it will never die!!

Road Riot bug: Finish the game and the screen will go black :(

Well for one thing, this version will be legal to own.  If you own a copy of Loopz that you bought from someone else it's illegal (especially since the company appears to still be in business).  

Personally, I'm really excited about that.  Now if only Cabal, 720, and Vindicators would show up...

Tempest

i'm waiting to see cabal,720 degrees and vindicators,too! :) --the lynxer

p.s.

if road riot 4wd is to follow in a fully finished

and licensed version without the bugs it has

too i'll snag one as well!

Bugs? :?

yes, this proto has some bugs in it,davidcalgary29.

1. it has a small comlynx bug in it.

2. if you don't come in 1st place in ever race you cannot see the end.

3. you have to play all the races in a left to right (clockwise) fashion to be

able to also see the end of the game while coming in 1st every race. you

cannot jump around at random doing races as you want to see the end.

i've played this title quite extensively over the years to have see pretty

much all it takes to make it work. it takes 1 1/2 hours to play the thing

through (for me anyway) from the qualifying lap to the end of the last

race for you to see the "congratulations you finished the race screen". no

really big fanfare happens there once it has been reached. :( --the lynxer

Yes! Loopz is a great game!  :D  

I'm happy it finally will be official released...some 12 (!) years after it's original release date. I also already have a Loopz proto copy but will definetly order this game the day it is published.

A BIG THANX to Songbird Productions and Carl Forhan for taking time and effort to hunt down people and/or companys and get the rights to publish abandoned games!  

Eye of the Beholder.....one day...one day...still hoping ;)

People saying the Lynx is a "dead system". Those people are dreaming!!! 2004...Alpine Games...Loopz...and Pokermania waiting around the corner. The Atari Lynx is very much alive!! And it will never die!!  

Road Riot bug: Finish the game and the screen will go black :(

it only goes black when you finish in 2nd,3rd or 4th in one or more races and use all 4 of your continues up and the timer runs out. if you come in 1st on all the tracks and play the thing from left to right (clockwise) you'll do fine.--the lynxer

Will this cost $79 like the rest of Songbird's game releases?

If so, you can forget about me buying anything from this "company" in the future too. Songbird's prices are absolutely ridiculous.

Most new Lynx games are $40-50, the higher prices are for Jag games. We all would welcome you to try to buy the expensive memory chips the Jag carts use, produce quality color manuals and boxes and then release Jag games for under $25. :roll:

Songbird is a top-notch company that supports the Lynx and the Jag very well. Please do a little research or don't jump to conclusions with so many hardcore Jag and Lynx fans around here :)

Carl, will it be available from your site in August also or will there be a limited run for the expo and it will be available later?

The game will first be available at CGE. Depending on how sales go there, I'll likely have more for sale shortly after the show but it could take a few weeks... hard to say at this point. The price will be no more than other Songbird releases.

Carl, will it be available from your site in August also or will there be a limited run for the expo and it will be available later?

The game will first be available at CGE. Depending on how sales go there, I'll likely have more for sale shortly after the show but it could take a few weeks... hard to say at this point. The price will be no more than other Songbird releases.

would you please address the question that has been asked about loopz

being a full release version or just the same unfinished game demo that

handmade software did for atari back in 1992,carl? this demo has been

available from b&c,video 61 and best electronics on an eprom cart since

1996. is your release any better or different? it would be nice to know,you

know. just a bit curious about hearing more info since you made the ann--

ouncement of this coming.

if you have a final beta of this then i'll buy a copy or two myself when you

have them available. :) --the lynxer

There are a couple of very minor changes in this licensed version published by Songbird. However, everyone should rest assured this is a very fun and complete game -- Lynx fans will get many hours of enjoyment from Loopz! It's not a demo game or half-finished. Gameplay, graphics, audio, comlynx are all there.

Awesome, Carl !!

I hope you decide to make the game available from your website as I won't be attending CGE and would really like to purchase this game.

And a HUGE Thank You for your continued support of us Atari fans. With incredible releases such as Jungle Guide #2 and Loopz plus all your past Lynx and Jaguar releases, you have brought a ton of hours of enjoyment to my house and I can't thank you enough.

Mendon

There are a couple of very minor changes in this licensed version published by Songbird. However, everyone should rest assured this is a very fun and complete game -- Lynx fans will get many hours of enjoyment from Loopz! It's not a demo game or half-finished. Gameplay, graphics, audio, comlynx are all there.

it's nice to know that you have cleaned up loopz from the "evaluation ver-

sion" demo it was for atari back in 1992. this version would freeze up on

you while playing it,had graphic bugs in it,was a little bit on the blurry side

of things,the sound was a little garbled and the levels were a little limited

on it for replay value on at least one of the game types offered. sounds

like the game that was originally planned for release by handmade softw-

are through atari or telegames from 12 years ago! can this really be the case? if so,great!--the lynxer

Wow - another great game for the Lynx. Thanks to Songbird!

It's just a pity that I don't like the genre much (Also didn't like Super Skweek and Chip's) so that I'll better save up the money for the upcoming hits (Distant Lands, Distant Lands!!!)

Congratulations Songbird on another great victory for the Lynx! This is extremely exciting news, especially for an avid collector such as myself. Thanks for fighting the paperwork trail up until the end result! Shows real support for our veteran handheld. :)

I'll be seeing you again this year at the CGE, Carl, and personally buying a copy of the game. Really looking forward to another new release. Bravo!

I was pleasantly surprised when I read this. Although I don't own a Lynx, I know quite a bit about Loopz after getting the go-ahead from Audiogenic for Atari 8-bit versions of Loopz and Helter Skelter back around 1995.

I handed the work for Loopz to someone else since I didn't have time to work on it myself. Sadly that was a mistake since the programmer could only write in Turbo Basic and ran out of memory when he was developing it! So the project was shelved.

Out of interest, and finally with a bit of spare time on my hands, I decided to have a go at writing it myself in 1998. In 2 weeks I managed to get most of the basic gameplay working (the only bit that wasn't working was the special block that appears from time to time to allow you to remove an incomplete loop). Oh yes, I was also given permission to sell their only Atari 8-bit product, Swift Spreadsheet.

I personally found their MD Peter Calver to be very helpful (he provided an ST disk with the Helter Skelter graphics) so it is a little surprising to read that Songbird seemingly spent quite some time in negotiation with Audiogenic.

Details on the limited development of the 8-bit Loopz and other projects can be found here:

http://www.myatari.net/issues/nov2002/business.htm