IGNORED

Nintendo's annual profits sliced in half

Zaxxon

We read it carefully enough. We understand it. Profits keep companies afloat, not sales. Nintendo fans are flogging their boners over any news/rumors of MS losses in the their game division, despite strong sales of the Xbox. The Gameboy is the only thing that keeps the company going, same as it's been since the N64 days.

If it's all about profits, then why is Microsoft still in the video game business after hemmorhaging millions of dollars for years on the XBox?

JR

Because they can afford to. They can just wait it out while Nintendo and Sony bleed red ink till they can either no longer keep up or lose their position in the industry, thus making MS no. 1 by default.

We read it carefully enough. We understand it. Profits keep companies afloat, not sales.

Oh, no! Nintendo lost money! Heaven forbid. Is it the end? Is it the end of Nintendo? Oh, mercy ... wait a minute.

Ooops. Looks like they turned a profit.

Never mind, then.

They can just wait it out while Nintendo and Sony bleed red ink till they can either no longer keep up or lose their position in the industry

They won't wait around. Any company that continually loses money in a division will close that division up. On the other hand Microsoft, because of our sold out government, still have millions to spend, so MS will be around for awhile. Also, Sony is not just a video game maker like Nintendo. They make millions of dollars in many different areas: music, CD's, movies, computers, DVD players, CD players etc etc. They (Sony) aren't going anywhere, anytime too soon. ;)

We read it carefully enough. We understand it. Profits keep companies afloat, not sales.

Oh, no! Nintendo lost money! Heaven forbid. Is it the end? Is it the end of Nintendo? Oh, mercy ... wait a minute.

Never mind, then.

lol :D

Never mind, then.

Zaxxon wrote:

The Gameboy is the only thing that keeps the company going, same as it's been since the N64 days.

As I already said before, the GBC/GBA division is where they have been and continue to reap their profits, not the console side. What is it that's confusing you?

Me too, i'll always choose a GameCube game over something on another console. If I can't find a GC game that interests me, I might decide to slum it and go into the PS2 area, and if i'm truly desperate and absolutely have to get a game, i'll consider an Xbox game. But I tend to stick to the GC.

Perhaps Nintendo is not doing as well as they have done in the past but they are still doing well. Granted that the Gameboy might be part of the major reason that they have done well and there is cause to worry if Sony's PSP does well against the Gameboy but I think Nintendo is going to be around for a while.

What is it with the X-box fanboys? I just dont get it. People need to learn that there are tons of games for the PS2, X-Box, and GCN that kick absolute ass. I was dissapointed at first when I got a GCN for Christmas, but after playing Rogue Squadron, Super Smash Bros. and F-Zero, I wouldn't give up my cube for any other console on earth. Now bear in mind, as much as I love my Cube, I hunger for other games such as GTA, Halo, and even smaller games like Fellowship of the Ring and Fist-Full of Boomstick, and thats why I'll buy an X-box some day, hell, I'd even consider getting a PS2 if they redesigned the damn thing (that grill just attracts dust)

Remember what board your at (AtariAge for dumbasses who forgot), a webboard dedicated to a d-e-a-d DEAD company (I'm sorry, but Atari died for me when they quit making consoles) but people still have much love for Atari. Same as people have love for Coleco, and people will still be getting boners over Nintendo if they go under (which is very unlikely) because its about the games. The fun. I think alot of people forgot how to have fun with games a while ago, since all they do is slam other gaming companies.

I could give a F*&K about the profits of a company. It aint my business. It doesn't bother me. Its about having fun. I think a lot of you forgot about that

I still can't come up with a single exclusive game on PS2 or Xbox that I'd be interested enough in to buy it at full price, much less buy a console to play it. And I have disposable income up the wazoo when it comes to buying videogames.... I still consider buying an xbox to mod from time to time, just to have a handy MAME box in the living room.

The Gamecube is my first Nintendo console, so all the repetition of previous franchises is new to me. And I'm liking it a lot.... I have gone from "modern videogames are a complete waste of time, I'll stick with MAME" to having spent about a grand on GCN equipment and games in less than a year :thumbsup: :D

So all Nintendo needs is to get a bunch more people like me, who played videogames as a kid and then decided they all sucked when everything became a FPS or sports sim, to realize the Gamecube is out there, cheap as hell, and has dozens of games that demonstrate modern games don't have to suck ass. :)

What I don't understand is why everyone seems intent on seeing Nintendo suffer a horrible death. Hello? Ever hear of competition? Nintendo forces the other console manufacturers to stay in pace with them, resulting in better games for ALL the game systems out there. Without Nintendo, we would never have seen Viewtiful Joe on any console.

Just because Nintendo's profits dipped doesn't make the stupid predictions about their impending doom look any less ridiculous. As I mentioned before, THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO SONY LAST YEAR. Somehow, I doubt this news will result in the same kind of shadenfrueden-filled orgy we're seeing from Adrian M and Zaxxon now.

JR

Nintendo have a very safe market in the younger kids (although a lot of much older kids like me love their games too). This is a market that Sony can't even get a piece of. Nintendo aren't in any trouble at all.

What I don't understand is why everyone seems intent on seeing Nintendo suffer a horrible death.  Hello?  Ever hear of competition?  Nintendo forces the other console manufacturers to stay in pace with them, resulting in better games for ALL the game systems out there.  Without Nintendo, we would never have seen Viewtiful Joe on any console.

Just because Nintendo's profits dipped doesn't make the stupid predictions about their impending doom look any less ridiculous.  As I mentioned before, THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO SONY LAST YEAR.  Somehow, I doubt this news will result in the same kind of shadenfrueden-filled orgy we're seeing from Adrian M and Zaxxon now.

JR

Eh.... I just posted the news, don't shoot the messenger. If you don't like it that's ok but don't try to drag me into some system war now. I'm not in glee over Nintendo's situation. It just is what it is.

We read it carefully enough. We understand it. Profits keep companies afloat, not sales. Nintendo fans are flogging their boners over any news/rumors of MS losses in the their game division, despite strong sales of the Xbox. The Gameboy is the only thing that keeps the company going, same as it's been since the N64 days.

It takes a certain type of individual to contradict himself in successive sentences. Where is the profit MS has made on the Xobx? We're still waiting...