IGNORED

PC Engine questions

Hi

A question, can anyone explain to me which pc engine i should be buying as there seems to be a few variants.

Im not fussed about collecting cd based games, as they dont wear well anyway, but will all hu cards play on all pc engine systems ??

I think the duo plays both cd and hu card, but theyre pretty rare it seems, Im watching one on ebay anyway.

My TV is fine with ntsc signal as i bought it specially for that purpose a while back.

I also just saw this pop up on ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...8116842599&rd=1

Will this play all the hu card games ? What about pal ones also ?

I assume they take 2 controllers, if so where can they be bought from please ?

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, but Im a newb when it comes to pc engine and AES which are the 2 things Im looking to get at the moment. :)

Thanks in advance for any advice

Si

Hi

A question, can anyone explain to me which pc engine i should be buying as there seems to be a few variants.

Im not fussed about collecting cd based games, as they dont wear well anyway, but will all hu cards play on all pc engine systems ??

I think the duo plays both cd and hu card, but theyre pretty rare it seems, Im watching one on ebay anyway.

My TV is fine with ntsc signal as i bought it specially for that purpose a while back.

I also just saw this pop up on ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...8116842599&rd=1

Will this play all the hu card games ? What about pal ones also ?

I assume they take 2 controllers, if so where can they be bought from please ?

Sorry if these questions seem stupid, but Im a newb when it comes to pc engine and AES which are the 2 things Im looking to get at the moment.  :)  

Thanks in advance for any advice

Si

My opinion is that the CoreGrafx (or the SuperGrafx) are the best choices if you just want a low cost way of playing PC Engine games. The original PCE requires an A/V booster to bypass the native RF output which can be a pain to locate. The CoreGrafx and SuperGrafx output via composite NTSC

Can't help you with the Pal question unfortunately, but the Japanese systems will play Japan HuCards only (unless you mod it).

PC Engine systems only have built in support for 1 controller. You'll need to buy a multitap to allow the use of more than one controller.

Also, Duos aren't as rare as people make them out to be. Yes, they can be sometimes pricey, but any import game store should have them in stock and ready to ship.

Yep no PAL PCE stuff, there was a PAL TG-16, & it originally came packed with Blazing Lazers, but I can't tell if (Blazing Lazers) is even PAL. I bought what was labeled as PAL Blazing Lazers from lik-sang a while back for cheap, lik-sang had the PAL TG16's and I think pulled these BLs out of the original box to sell separately. But the game looks exactly like the US TG16 version.

But for your money, the best deals are gonna be on the PCE side, plus there's FAR more available to play too. PC Engine originally came out in a little white square, as Adrian mentioned it was RF output ONLY. It's a pain to get hooked up. And can often not tun in the Audio & video on the same channel. It's best to stay away from it, and go with the CORE Grafx or Super Greafx, that already have the composite AV out. That CORE grafx above that has should work for you if you've got a multisync tv.

The Jap Hus should all work, there are 6 Supergrafx hucards, they only work on a Supergrafx thou, (looks like an Amiga Powerboard) US TG16 hucards or any PAL TG16 cards if they exist, will NOT work on the Jap PCE, and there are no adapters readily available.

If you stick to the Jap PCE releases thou that is not a problem. I already had a small collection of US TG16 games I wanted to keep so I had my system modded to allow Jap Hus to play on it. This IS an option, as well as several different convertors for playing Jap on US TG16s.

All the variations of PCE/TG16/Turo Duos, all came with only one controller port. So to play two player games or more like bomberman, you will need a DUO Tap, or (Turbo Tap, if you buy a US/PAL TG16) The Duo Tap will allow up to 5 players at a time, it's just a multiplayer input thingie. These are around $10 on ebay, $20 from tzd.com But you will need to stay with DUO & PCE stuff and not buy TG16 controller ports are a different size on TG16 and not compatible with the PCE or DUO's.

Also something to watch out for, these controllers are NOT PCE compatible, even thou it mentions it in the title. That is a US style TG16 arcade stick, will only work on US TG16's or if you buy/build an adapter to fit with the Jap PCE/Duo. You can buy brandnew Duo controllers as well as a Duo Tap I just mentioned from tzd.com They use to keep the controller adapters instock for $5 or so, I don't see them there now though.

I personally would recommend a PCE DUO, just because that would give you the CD compatiblity, & there was no region lockout on the CD games. So you could play Jap Hucards, and buy & play US(English) CD games. There are some good CD games as well. :) And there are many Jap CD games, of shooters & puzzlers and action and whatnot that don't require reading to play. But you can always upgrade to the CD addon & system card later with the Core Grafx. So if it's Hus you want you don't neccessarily need to go out & buy a Duo.

Thanks for the advice, Im thinking of BIN on the3 one I linked above. Theres a duo on UK ebay, but I'd rather spend the cash on games for now, plus im hoping to win an AES that ends tomorrow, and theres tons of jap hu cards on ebay at the moment, including R-type which is the biggest factor in me buying a pc engine. :)

Anyhows, if anyone has links for that multitap thing atall, or for decent pads it would be much appreciated, as I will definately be looking to go 2+ playeron this console.

Spoke to a local shop tonight, theyve got a turbografix for £60, but Im getting a negative vibe on this console from you all, so I think I'llpass on it. Theyve also got tons of CD games, but I think I'll wait on a good deal on a duo at a later stage before I bother with cd's...

My next batch of stupid questions will involve the neo geo pocket color and AES :)

Thanks

Si

Thanks for the advice, Im thinking of BIN on the3 one I linked above. Theres a duo on UK ebay, but I'd rather spend the cash on games for now, plus im hoping to win an AES that ends tomorrow,  and theres tons of jap hu cards on ebay at the moment, including R-type which is the biggest factor in me buying a pc engine.  :)  

If R-Type is your game, then you may be interested in the CD...

The Duo has some great shooters including R-Type Complete, which is really good. The Pc Engine R-Type was released on 2 HuCards, which are available separately, whereas the TG16 version is on one card.

Don't be too put off by the TG16, since, with an adapter, it will play all of the Pc Engine games as well as the few exclusive US only releases. It is not hard to add A/V out to the TG16 either since all the leads are readily available on the bus on the back of the TG16.

Yep no PAL PCE stuff, there was a PAL TG-16, & it originally came packed with Blazing Lazers, but I can't tell if (Blazing Lazers) is even PAL. I bought what was labeled as PAL Blazing Lazers from lik-sang a while back for cheap, lik-sang had the PAL TG16's and I think pulled these BLs out of the original box to sell separately. But the game looks exactly like the US TG16 version.

To make it clear: The PAL Turbo Grafx (called without 16) plays every US TG16 game, but needs an adapter to play PC Engine games (same as TG16). So could say it's an US Version with European AC-Adapter and PAL output.

Btw, you could get one brand new here:

http://cgi1.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View...item=8117085387

(Yes, it's my auction)

Think ive found one, seems a better deal than the other one I was looking at, £60 more, but with 28 loose games.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...8117162888&rd=1

He's also flogging a multitap for a tenner , if i get his console I'll grab that as well i suppose...

Seem an ok deal or not ?

Si

Don't be too put off by the TG16, since, with an adapter, it will play all of the Pc Engine games as well as the few exclusive US only releases.  It is not hard to add A/V out to the TG16 either since all the leads are readily  available on the bus on the back of the TG16.

Or, just get a Turbo Booster. :D

So I got a converter from Defender that I know plays Japanese games (I tested it on one I got from Mindfield) but I just won some PC Engine games from a seller in the UK - those should work with the same converter, right? Or do I need to buy another one for games sold in Europe to make them work on my TG-16?

So I got a converter from Defender that I know plays Japanese games (I tested it on one I got from Mindfield) but I just won some PC Engine games from a seller in the UK - those should work with the same converter, right?  Or do I need to buy another one for games sold in Europe to make them work on my TG-16?

They will work with the same convertor. There are only US and Japanese games, there are no "European" games. You are well on your way to a new collection, though!

I have a PAL TG-16 as well as a Duo and I have a question. Anyone know where I can bye a NEW converter to play japanese PC-engine games on either of my machines? Something that will cost a little less than the converter sold by Turbo Zone Direct  :roll:

Not likely.

PCE convertors regardless if they are used or new, seem to go for insane $$$ these days. Hell, in 1993, companies like TZD were GIVING THEM AWAY when you bought a PCE from their site, but today, things are different.

I heard rumors that the people over at www.pcenginefx.com were looking into either acquring a bulk order or contemplating a production run of new convertors, but I haven't seen or heard any news since.

So ive jumped onto the pc engine bandwagon, Ive gone with the core graphx for now, will get a duo in time im sure if I get 'bitten by the bug'.

I went for this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

And this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

Not the prettiest I know, but its for playing, not collecting.

When i was younger i remember all the hype about this new super import console, but didnt ever have near the type of money to afford it. So if Im totally honest I dont think i ever properly played one, so Im really excited about this arriving.

I feel about 12 years old again, really !! :D

I hope Im not disappointed....

Now to track down Rtype (Should be easy) and a Japanese hucard splatterhouse (Im not holding my breath...)

If anyone sees a good deal on some nice pads please let me know, also on the above mentioned splatterhouse, or any other good jap version cards. :)

Si

Well you're off to a nice start! :)

Galaga, Parasol Stars, Bomberman are all top picks!

A few of the titles not listed in that first auction include,

Legend of Valkyrie, second from top left

Shockman/Shubibin man, 4th game from top left

Next to last on the 2nd row is Fire Pro Wrestling 2nd Bout

I'd recommend Air Zonk, Soldier Blade, Download, Volfied(Qix), Ninja Spirit, Boxy Boy(can't remember it's Jap name), Parodius, & Twin Bee, I think Mr. Heli looks neat too, but I haven't really had a chance to play him.

That's a cool poster beneath the auction, there, you reckon he'd throw that in with the BIN :P

That looks like a good setup. Do note that the first link to the Coregrafx states that it doesn't come with a PSU (power supply unit I think). The person says they're easy to find but everything else on the auction is marked with "RARE". Maybe he expects you to use a universal adaptor. Looking at the one on my Turbografx, the end appears to be the same as a Nintendo adaptor. The output is labelled as 11 volts though whereas the Nintendo is 9. The positive is on the outside too if you get a universal adaptor. (I'm assuming the Japanese models take the same shape of plug and same voltage and everything. I bet they do though.) I love how the transformer is halfway down the cord, instead of right on the plug so you can't plug anything in beside it.

Looking at the one on my Turbografx, the end appears to be the same as a Nintendo adaptor. The output is labelled as 11 volts though whereas the Nintendo is 9.

I'd bet the TG16 takes DC, too.

Who knows why Nintendo used AC...

Looking at the one on my Turbografx, the end appears to be the same as a Nintendo adaptor. The output is labelled as 11 volts though whereas the Nintendo is 9.

I'd bet the TG16 takes DC, too.

Who knows why Nintendo used AC...

To F&*% anyone up who ever dare think of using on a competitors system. :P Most systems take DC, and even the NES, or most of your systems that do take AC convert back to DC once inside the system. Typically you can feed those systems with DC, and it will work fine. But using AC on a DC system, which most likely does not have a convertor inside can be deadly to your system. I'm sure a few Genesis & Jaguars have died cuz of evil Nintendo.

Of course Japanese Nintendo Famicom was DC, so why they decided to change it for the NES is beyond me... Maybe in case of addons, if more was required later on? :?

Those auctions are in the UK, the buyer was also in the UK, they have a different format there, so original plug would be of little use to him anyways. The Core Grafx has fairly standard requirements so he should be able to get it going.

That looks like a good setup. Do note that the first link to the Coregrafx states that it doesn't come with a PSU (power supply unit I think). The person says they're easy to find but everything else on the auction is marked with "RARE". Maybe he expects you to use a universal adaptor. Looking at the one on my Turbografx, the end appears to be the same as a Nintendo adaptor. The output is labelled as 11 volts though whereas the Nintendo is 9. The positive is on the outside too if you get a universal adaptor. (I'm assuming the Japanese models take the same shape of plug and same voltage and everything. I bet they do though.) I love how the transformer is halfway down the cord, instead of right on the plug so you can't plug anything in beside it.

The NES in the UK takes a 9v ac adaptor, this coregrafx takes a 9v dc...

It turned up today (Pretty fast i thought :) ), and tonight i decided to take a risk as i was itching to play it !! I used a 10v Sega PSU and it works a treat (So far... :ponder: ).... though, writing this i just remembered that my jaguar psu is in fact 9v dc, maybe I'd better switch over to using that instead !! :dunce:

I cant get over how small the actual console is, its tiny !! I like the setup, its pretty straight forward, I just fitted a scart plug onto the 3 rgb connectors and away i went :)

The only worry i have is the stupid pad connector, i already bent one of the pins, i dont like that 1 bit, but other than that it seems cool. Out of 28 cards only 1 seems a bit iffy, but its not one of the good ones i think anyway. Theres a lot of japanese rpg style crap amongst the games, but some good ones as well...

I can see Darius plus (Awesome !!), bomberman and parasol starts getting most my attention for now... A surprise game is Barunba, Ive never seen it before, a pretty decent shooter with a really original way of aiming your guns, pretty neat... :)

with Rtype and Chase HQ (Hopefully better than the 8 bit conversion... :roll: ) on their way, and splatterhouse now up on ebay uk (will be mine ;) ) I can see this getting a lot of play time for quite a while... 8)

Best purchase for a long time !! :love:

Si

Yes, the controller connectors could be better. I haven't had any problems with bent pins. I believe the American ports are about twice as large. I always have problems with connectivity. The games will start pausing themselves for no apparent reason. Once, Bomberman started walking in circles. (Figure that one out.) The D-pads sometimes stick too, but out of my 10 controllers, at least 5 are good.

I can't wait until my hucard convertor arrives. I want to get Ninja Gaiden, although it's a bit expensive. Anyone have any recommendations for good Japanese games that aren't available as American and don't require a lot of reading? I plan on getting what I can as the American version, but of course I can't let the convertor go to waste. [smiles]