IGNORED

Finding some feasible arcade ports for the CV...

Now I feel confident about the use of shapes with the CV I was wondering which kind of arcade games I would program next. Since I am a big Moon Patrol fan, I created a mockup screenshot to check if MP would look any good on the CV. From my experience I already now tile based arcades are the best ones to port for the CV, while linear framebuffer based games aren't very suitable (like many William titles).

My idea for Moon Patrol is to have the last screen third used exclusively for shapes, while the two topmost thirds would be used for tiles. This way the moon ground would scroll smoothly while the background scenarie would retain most of its detail and colors.

Any good suggestion?

post-1432-1089396274_thumb.jpg

Two games I'd love to see done on a classic console are Rally X and Mappy. I know nothing about programming so they could very well be impossible on a CV, but that moon patrol looks incredible.

Rally-X would be a good pick. The arcade hardware is identical to Pac-Man, so I think I am already used to this one. Maybe the scroll would limit colors a bit, but I think gameplay would stay very close to the original. And Bosconian would be another good one, since it's a lot like Rally-X. Of course I would need to eliminated all voices minus that in the intro (blast off!), but aside this one, gameplay would also stay close...

Mappy is a little bit trickier...

Rallyx has scrolling, pacman hardware doesn't. The radar screen is a lot different than pacman as well.

2 games that really are the same as pacman hardware are Pengo and crush roller/Make Trax.

Anything in the galaxian or scramble driver that doesn't have scrolling is pretty close to pacman as well(except for the sound). Zig zag, devil fish, amidar etc. The only thing to watch for is galaxian/scramble can have more ram and a lot more sprites. They might fit you screen a little better too, since they're not as tall. I did a little experiment and got zigzag to run as bootleg mspacman with some rom mods.

Moon Patrol is an excellent idea! Too bad the default CV sticks would prevent the game from being much fun. Still...

So in your mock up..the lower layer for the ground of course would scroll...but what about the background layers? Would the furtherst background be static and the others scroll just a little..or not at all?

Just curious as I am trying to envision it running...

:)

Rallyx has scrolling, pacman hardware doesn't.   The radar screen is a lot different than pacman as well.

2 games that really are the same as pacman hardware are Pengo and crush roller/Make Trax.    

Anything in the galaxian or scramble driver that doesn't have scrolling is pretty close to pacman as well(except for the sound).  Zig zag, devil fish, amidar etc.  The only thing to watch for is galaxian/scramble can have more ram and a lot more sprites.  They might fit you screen a little better too, since they're not as tall.  I did a little experiment and got zigzag to run as bootleg mspacman with some rom mods.

Scrolling is always a issue with the CV, as it doesn't have any hardware scroll capability. But for some games it is possible to create smooth scrolling, if the scenary isn't too complex. Rally-X is such a game. With Mappy it would be almost impossible to have smooth scroll, though character scroll is always possible. For some games character scroll isn't a big issue, when the background is just a "wallpaper". It isn't the case with Rally-X, as character scroll would ruin the gameplay. Xevious would be done using character scroll. The graphics would be on par with the NES version, though it would be a little trickier to shot ground bases. Now Pole-Position, man, that would be really tough!

Moon Patrol is an excellent idea! Too bad the default CV sticks would prevent the game from being much fun. Still...

Yep.... for now... ;)

So in your mock up..the lower layer for the ground of course would scroll...but what about the background layers? Would the furtherst background be static and the others scroll just a little..or not at all?

Just curious as I am trying to envision it running...

:)

The background would scroll too, but using character scroll instead. Now I know will would cause some controversy since people would say the Atari version already available does have smooth scrolling. But just check the colors in both versions and you will see a big difference. Also, the background graphics in the Atari version is just a small chunck of graphic which just repeats over and over.

IMHO the background graphics are just wallpaper, there for eye candy. If we do it using character scroll, then it will be more colorful, detailed and I can save more CPU time for properly emulating the gameplay.

The mockup above was created with parallax scroll in mind. The background graphics would be even more detailed if parallax isn't used, with the two layers of mountains moving at the same speed.

I didn't see any mention of Steve's version of Moon Patrol there. So far the only version of Moon Patrol I am aware is Matt Patrol. And I don't think Matt will make the original binary available anytime soon.

I didn't see any mention of Steve's version of Moon Patrol there. So far the only version of Moon Patrol I am aware is Matt Patrol. And I don't think Matt will make the original binary available anytime soon.

"Lode Runner ... Steve Begin

this is a port of the Sega SG-1000 title. extremely limited amount produced because of copyright infringement fears. approximetely 10 exist."

"it was a challenge that a member of the CCJVQ club set to saw if we can really convert an SG-1000 game to the Colecovision, and the resulat was very surprising.

Especially that the game work wihtout any problem !

But the concensus of the CCJVQ decided that with the copyright situation, we decided that no more than a couple cart can be produced to stay out of the "legal" problem.

Steve Begin his a very good programmer and his working on a new Colecovision

game right now. I don't know if in the future, he will try to convert another game, but the chance are good."

"yeah i had it on display at philly 4 for a while.. it is a smooth playing conversion...

its nice- i'll try to get pics sometime soon"

Sorry, but I still can't see where the quote above says Steve is working or worked on a Moon Patrol port.

The messages in DP forum just talk about a port of Lode Runner. When Russ (slapdash) asked about a pix, Will said him that he had [Load Runner] on display during PC4. The most curious thing to me about the above message is that just a few days ago Will posted a message on DP forum saying Steve has ported the MSX version of Lode Runner, not the SG1000 one. Anyway, I am not meaning I don't belive you. If you says he is working on a port of MP, I am sure he is. I am just really curious and would love to see any screenshot. Is there any one online? :)

BTW, nice club. I wasn't aware about it (I suppose you are Pascal, right?). To bad my French isn't good enough to read most of that text. :(

You had mentioned Wizard of Wor in an earlier post, and I would definately like to see that one!  Also, Vanguard and Ikari Warriors would be interesting games on the ColecoVision.

Troy

Jess suggested me that one (WoW). He even created some concept artwork. Now, Vanguard...? Don't you think Scramble is better? BTW, which came out first, Defender or Scramble?

Hi there!

You had mentioned Wizard of Wor in an earlier post, and I would definately like to see that one!

Count me in here as well! Wizard of War would be a blast!

Hm... how doable would Star Fire and Fire One be? I know they're Z80 based, yet I think they're using a very own nonstandard grafix system :)

Greetings,

Manuel

Jess suggested me that one (WoW). He even created some concept artwork. Now, Vanguard...? Don't you think Scramble is better? BTW, which came out first, Defender or Scramble?

Actually, I like Vanguard better. Just a hang up on shooting the fuel tanks I guess...

According to the Killer List of Video Games (www.klov.com), Defender came out first in 1980 and Scramble came out in 1981. If you have never been to this website, it is worth a visit. Maybe some new game ideas could come from here!

Troy

Scrolling is always a issue with the CV, as it doesn't have any hardware scroll capability. But for some games it is possible to create smooth scrolling, if the scenary isn't too complex. Rally-X is such a game.

Depending on the game, you could add extra character tiles for scrolled parts of images. In the case of a bunch of right-angle roads with no "scenery", especially if you limit it to one direction, this should be possible.

Mappy scrolling might be possible if you're careful, since it only scrolls horizontally, and mostly consists of horizontal and vertical lines for the background. Scrolling the sprites isn't (IIRC) a problem with CV.