IGNORED

- AA GAME OF THE WEEK -

Mega Bug is another one of those Pac-Man type games from the early eighties. I wonder how many Pac-Man clones were made back then? Lets see, Apollo made Shark Attack, Coleco made Moustrap, Mattel had Lock 'N' Chase...

All these games are fun in my opinion, anf Mega Bug is no exception by any means. Like the other maze games, the goal is to go around and eat the white dots. However, instead of Cops or Ghosts chasing you, in this game you have real slimey, creepy, scarey bugs. Worst of all , these bugs are intelligent and can talk! So if one bits you, your dead. In fact, your so dead, the games over! You only get one life. And then the bugs say, "We gotcha!" Yes, this game is one of those games that "talks!"

When you move your character around the screen, you can always see it up close because the game has a built-in maganying glass thats on you wherever you go. This is a nice feature for the most part, because you can see everything nice and clearly. However, sometimes when you are playing you want the magnifying glass to dissapear for a while. Unfortunately, however, this cannot be done. The button does nothing in this game. I guess back in 1982 Tandy didnt want to bother to try to figure out how to include this feature or soemthing. It would be nice to be able to press the button and have the magnifier go a away if needed. Oh. well.

As you travel throught the maze, you leave behind a trail of clorful dots. The enemy bugs conume this trail. i think it's a scent trail if I recall correctly. So these bugs just dont go around at random, they are on your trail!

This game is quite challenging. Its quite difficult to get to the 2nd level.

A special thank you to Ranger G who generously sold me this game

post-4652-1089528963_thumb.jpg

Nope, the whole setup is a Tandy CoCo (Color Computer) with 2 joysticks.

The game is just a cartridge.

I never had a CoCo growing up, but my local Radio Shack always had some set up, and they were always playing MegaBug.

I remember that was a fun game. The magnify feature was amazing!!

(Well, it was the 80's. :-) )

desiv

I have one of those controllers, but had no idea that it was a CoCo stick. Mine doesn't have the Tandy lable on it. It works perfectly with an Apple II, I was always under the impression that it was an A2 stick. You learn something new every day around here.

-S

I remember that game!!

I used to play it at the Radio Shack whenever my mom took me to the mall! I remember the lenghty little tune that played before the game starts (takes forever and has a mexican theme to it....trouble is, there's no way to bypass it :( ) as well as the aforementioned "We Gotcha!" text whenever you die!!

Oh those were such happy and carefree days! They don't make games like this anymore! :D

Anthony -

You did post about Mega-Bug - great. The best thing about Mega-Bug is the "We Gotcha" voice. It will haunt you in your sleep :). Also the game is challenging. I may have one time cleared two screens and made it to screen three and I played the game many times as a kid. If you do happen to collect for the CoCo, look for the Wico adaptor that lets you use digital Atari sticks. It makes a difference on Mega-Big with the mazes and the need for quick direction changing. However, most games for the CoCo are better with analog sticks like the stock sticks.

Fun game,

RG

I used to play it at the Radio Shack whenever my mom took me to the mall!

I hated Radio Shack! :x Those assholes never let me touch their computers back in the Tandy days because I was too young and they thought I would reformat their hard drive or whatever... All I wanted to do was play Thexder or King's Quest or whatever they had in their disk drive at the time and they wouldn't let me! :sad:

I used to play it at the Radio Shack whenever my mom took me to the mall!

I hated Radio Shack! :x Those assholes never let me touch their computers back in the Tandy days because I was too young and they thought I would reformat their hard drive or whatever... All I wanted to do was play Thexder or King's Quest or whatever they had in their disk drive at the time and they wouldn't let me! :sad:

Thexder was a classic as well. There was also another game that I used to play on that same Tandy computer where you controlled a little man whose goal was to get to the top of this cavern. Kind of like the NES game SPELUNKER, but not quite as refined. It was unlike anything on the 2600 at the time...

I had never heard of or seen a screenshot of TumbleBugs! Does it have the "We Gotcha" voice? I believe the original game was on the Apple and called Dung Beetles. Anyone have a picture? The Spelunker like game someone mentioned is Downland. It is also a pretty good game. Hard though in that diamonds fall on your head and kill you. Unfortunately, Downland works on the CoCo 1 and 2 but not the 3. I thus have the cart but can't play it now; however, as a kid it was one of the very few CoCo games others would actually want to play.

Take care,

Randy

P.S. Anthony, I have a few more extra CoCo games, so I will contact you and ship them to you if you want.