IGNORED

Commodore questions

I'm afraid I didn't come with an answer. But actually with another Commodore question to pose.

Not too long ago, I received a VIC-20 as a gift from someone I know. Along with it came a working datasette recorder. This datasette unit was made by Maxtron, and a label on the bottom reads:

MAXTRON

COMPUTER CASSETTE DATA UNIT

MODEL NO.: DC01

FOR USE WITH VIC 20 OR VIC 64

Now I gathered from the label (and from the accompanying manual) that the VIC-64 in question was actually the Commodore 64. So I tried the datasette with the C64 and it didn't work.

So has anyone had experiences with this or any similar datasette unit? And is there a way to get this thing to work on a C64 that maybe perhaps I am missing? :?

Does it require a seperate power adapter?  The Commodore one doesn't...it's powered right from the I/O cable IIRC.  What happens when you enter CLOAD and press play?

And yeah...a LOT of people and 3rd parties referred to the C64 as the Vic64.

Nope. She just plugs right in. Unfortunately I don't have any datasette programs that I could readily load into the C64. When I try to rewind, fast forward, or play the tape or anything like that, there's no action on the C64. Whereas on the VIC-20, it works just like it should. I've never tried the CLOAD command before though. Only LOAD. Is there a difference? :?

Oh, Famicoman. So as not to leave you out in the dark I've been trying to see if I could look up some information about the VIC 1520. What I really wish I could find is a copy of the intruction manual for the thing. I have a feeling that the answer to your questions would be in one of those if I could but find one for you. I'll keep looking! :D

I dunno...maybe the motor line is ALWAYS on with the Vic, but only on when the computer expects it with the C64? And I guess you are right regarding LOAD/CLOAD (I was used to Atari's CLOAD and got it muddled). So try LOAD (or even shift-run/stop IIRC)...and press PLAY on the datasette when the "Press Play" message appears on the screen. The take-up spindle should now be moving even without a cassette inserted (unless that brand of datasette prevents it when no cassette is present). Maybe just stick any old cassette in to see if it's got some kind of detection thing.

As far as I can remember the datasette needs to be told by the C64 that it's time to work. So try to press shift-run/stop and pressing rewind/ff/play.

It should work since it seems to work on the VIC20 and there is no difference between the two since Commodore just kept the same old technology regarding tape recorders and diskdrives that they already had on the VIC20 when building the C64 to save money and because the marketing guys had some idea that the VIC 20 and the C64 should be compatible ;)

Hope this helps some.

/Troop

I figured out how to put in the ink. The thing is when I was at a flea market, the printer, and computer were boxed, I lokked in, and everything looked good. When I brought it home, It actually seems to be a commodore 64 in a VIC-20 box. Now, the printer has been used since there are some ink stains on the ink cradle, and some pre-printed paper. I'm pretty sure that they were used with each other, I just need to know how to print from the C64.

That's what I figured about the datasette recorder. I knew that the VIC-20 and the C64 share a great deal of compatible hardware.

And this information may probably be useful to you also, Famicoman. I gather that, if the printer indeed works on a VIC-20 and a C64, the commands should likely be the same, right?

If that's the case, then here's some help maybe. Hope this'll work! :D